A lot of people are tied to family or careers, so do you think you could pack up and move to another state?
In a heartbeat... kids aren’t tied to anything and would most likely follow.

Have been trying to make it happen for about a year now and based on convos I’d say I’ve got about 2 years before I can make it happen.

We'd both have to find new jobs as well, which may or may not be challenging in the current climate. There's also a certain way of living that is preferred, if I may be so bold.

Hippie ✌🏻

Never. I love Nashville so much and so does my wife. All of our family is here (minus her dad and step mom who live in Panama City, just an excuse to visit) and we have the best friends/social circle anyone could ask for.

I’ve seen just about every inch of the US and UK as a touring musician, nothing beats my hometown. I hated it here growing up (Mostly because I loved/played punk and hardcore music). Now you couldn’t pay to me move. I like Nashville more than money, that’s saying a lot.

Been asking the wife for a few years now for us to move to a nicer climate. She still has her parents around, so I get a hard "NO" each time. BUT I think I might be wearing her down a little. We were watching some HGTV show and they were in south Carolina, and she said I might be able to move there.

I have many great things where I live (family, golf, beach), but many things that suck (winter, traffic, commute). No chance I am going anywhere that has the same suckiness.

Since it’s just the two of us, we could definitely move. We’re planning on moving in a year for me to start medical school and we’re likely going to have to move states. We’re definitely excited for something different having lived solely in CO our whole lives

Absolutely! I moved from Wisconsin to Ohio without blinking an eye and its a near certainty that I will move again when my wife's career demands it. My wife and I have always said that we would move back to DC where she is from when her parents get older as well.
I think that Im someone who loves exploring and experience new things, new places and meeting new people; so I dont know that I would even want to live in 1 place forever.
I lived in Wisconsin for 30 years and while its home and I love it, when we moved to Ohio, I was ready for a change of scenery. We've now lived in Ohio for about 8 years and theres some things about Ohio that Ive come to love and theres some things about Ohio that I can do without (Ohio State football, for example).
My wife is kind of looking to change jobs again and odds are that whatever new job she gets wont be in Ohio and Im fine with that. Ohio has been fun but Im ready for the next adventure. Im kind of hoping that she finds a job on the west coast or in the south, partly for a longer golf season and partly to experience living in a place that is different from where Ive ever lived.
Thats partly why Im looking to get my finances in order to where I can quit my job at the car plant, kind of semi-retire and go to school to become a barber. Once I finish my schooling and my apprenticeship, any time that we move to a new state, all that I will have to do is take the state certification test and I can take my career with me no matter where we live.

Too late in life for my wife and I, our network of family and friends is a welcome anchor to the area.

Have done it once, am contemplating doing it again in the next year or two.

The only way I'd move is if my company HQ relocated or I retired. Can't fathom finding a job with another company that I enjoy as much. Once we retire, then I'd have no issue moving.

We still have a lot of friends in SoCal, my wife would love to move back there but she knows there's no way in hell I'd ever move back to the People's Republik of Kalifornistan. Born and raised there, lived there for 48 years, got out, never going back. Most of her family is in Michigan, and that's an even harder 'no' for me. I don't do cold climates.

A lot of people are tied to family or careers, so do you think you could pack up and move to another state?

Well I was in the military and moved 7 times in 20 yrs so pretty easy YES for me

I cannot and would not for another 1.5 years. I would be giving up a 30 year retirement fund. After the 1.5 years then sure, I could.

I cannot and would not for another 1.5 years. I would be giving up a 30 year retirement fund. After the 1.5 years then sure, I could.
That was what kept me in California for so long. As soon as I hit the magic 30 years it was adios amigos!

I’ve thought about it, but it’s not an option while my mom is still alive. I’m close with my brother and sister and I have a lot of friends here but it’s northern Indiana and with our position close to Lake Michigan we get a lot of clouds and wind so yeah, I could move, preferably somewhere with more sunshine and a better climate. I don’t think it would be easy but definitely doable.

Nope. We're stuck here til retirement. But once my wife retires, we're outa here.

Not easily. I’m 5 years away from being able to retire on the company pension. The last kid finishes HS about the same time.

Here's my answer, guess what it is!😤😡🤬
20200509_073231.jpg

Oh my lord we just did. This move has been in the making for over four years now. We moved from Ohio to Florida & It finally happened during this pandemic. Talk about stressful. We are so excited to be here, but the unpacking of boxes & getting the house situated has been crazy!

Not to mention it’s kept me from THP for over a week now!!!

Would we do it all over?!?!? In a heartbeat!

Reactions: JB
I guess my answer is yes since I did this just before the grandaddy. Definitely strange adjusting to life in Connecticut especially since we can’t really leave the house. But we’re closer to my wife’s family which already is giving me a longer leash to play golf :)

A year ago I was ready to move if asked, but then my parents retired and moved to our town. If the choice was move or find a new job, I would still probably move, but I don’t really want to any more. Now once we eventually reach retirement, we will probably be headed elsewhere depending on family status and location at that point.

Well a few years ago I would say yes, but that was when I was active duty Navy. We moved ever 3-5 years, but now I have a great job and more than the job, my wife would not pick up and move. Me not originally being from TN, I'd have no problem moving somewhere new as long as I had a good job.

Back