Counterbalanced effect on swingweight

Nippon Shafts

badolds

Albatross 2020 Club Albatross 2021 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
12 est.
I noticed that switching to a Tensei pro orange changed the swingweight of my driver by 3 points at the same length. I can add weight to the head to make it my normal D-4 but I am wondering if it supposed to be lighter by design?

Hammer22

Outlier
Reaction score
Handicap
Using "lighter" and "heavier" when it comes to swing weights are total misnomers. It's not about weight, it's balance. Your SW decreased since the balance point moved towards the butt end. The overall club weight could even be more depending on the shaft and the SW could still go down, and vice versa.

badolds

Reaction score
Handicap
12 est.
Lets assume both shafts are exactly 70 grams. The non counterbalanced shaft comes in at D-4. The counterbalanced shaft comes in at D-1. Should I play it at the lighter swing weight to take full advantage of the design or should I add weight to the head to make it feel like what I am used to?

Hammer22

Outlier
Reaction score
Handicap
Lets assume both shafts are exactly 70 grams. The non counterbalanced shaft comes in at D-4. The counterbalanced shaft comes in at D-1. Should I play it at the lighter swing weight to take full advantage of the design or should I add weight to the head to make it feel like what I am used to?
Only one way to find out: hit some balls with it. Don't get stuck on SW though - you may like the driver as it is with the new shaft, especially if the overall weight is the same. Grab a pack of lead tape and see where it goes.

Summit

Summit Golf Nashville
Reaction score
A quick test to see if the driver swing weight is correct for you. Hit 10 balls with a 7 iron (use whatever iron you hit well), then hit 10 balls with the driver and then hit 10 balls with the iron again. If the pattern changed from the first 10 iron shots to the last 10 iron shots, the driver SW is off a little.

OGputtnfool

Do it this way, no that way, no... oh, nevemind!
Albatross 2020 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
It's my understanding that the counterbalanced shafts were designed to enable the end user to either add mass to the head at the same length to achieve the same swingweight and, theoretically, gain distance from the add'l mass behind the ball or add length to the shaft to play at a longer length at the same swingweight and, theoretically, gain distance from the add'l swing speed picked up from the add'l length.

Desmond

Albatross 2020 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
Play or Hit it both ways - add some lead tape. See what happens.

I have so many counterweights at home - I can't decide whether they are helpful or not having spent hundreds of dollars over 20 yrs thinking it sounds good ... some people don't need to feel the clubhead as much, some like the heavier overall weight, some think the theory works. Maybe in a putter or really light club it may help quiet the hands. I'm done experimenting at this time.

badolds

Reaction score
Handicap
12 est.
It seems that some experimentation is in order. I have hit it twice now and it did not impress me. I did not realize how much lighter it was than my other shaft until I put it on the swingweight scale yesterday. I am going to add some weight to the head and try it again.

Thanks for the help gentlemen.

Welcome to The Hackers Paradise

Don't just play golf, live it!

Register Log in