Country Club Etiquette?

Girardcorp

Reaction score
Handicap
So this weekend i'm playing at one of the nicer country clubs in the area as a guest of one of the guys I work with. I haven't been to a country club in probably 10 years and at that point it was rented out for a corporate event so there was nobody there but us. I play almost exclusively at munis and i dont mean 'don't wear jeans' as i'm not that guy to begin with. I have no idea if i should wear my golf shoes in the clubhouse etc... Any pointers or suggestions?

It depends on the club really. There's got to be an etiquette section on their website that will tell you all of these things regarding dress code and what not.

For the most part, shirt tucked in, hat forward (and off in the clubhouse/dining area), no cargo shorts/pants (DEFINITELY NO ZIP OFF LEG PANTS), and i would say you'll be fine. All the clubs that i've been to don't have any rules regarding golf shoes in the dining area or in the clubhouse, but maybe i'm not playing at as high level private clubs as you :)

Here are a few common ones. No denim, belts and shirts tucked in are always mandatory. Our course has a no cell phone policy anywhere but the parking lot. That means no audible ringers on and no talking on a cell phone anywhere in the clubhouse, pro shop, restaurant, or golf course. People will still talk occasionally on their phones on the course but not within earshot of others.

Ask your host for anything you should be aware of before stepping on property. I always error on the side of caution, no hats inside. Use the bag drop if there's one available. Change shoes in the locker room and have fun.

Don't be afraid to ask your host if there are any rules you should be aware of. One I've seen is no changing shoes in the parking lot. You're his guest, he should help you out with any issues that may arise.

You should be fine, I'd carry a couple extra bucks to tip the cart guys and bag boys.

there's another thread on this somewhere from last year, i think. here are some pointers from what i've come to learned being a frequent guest at my buddy's club.

* ask about tipping beforehand. some clubs allow it, some expressly disallow it. know in advance.

* take your hat off inside.

* don't be the first guy to use a cell phone inside. talking is almost always prohibited, but texting or other use may be as well. wait to see what your host does first, then follow suit.

* you should be fine wearing your golf shoes inside, but clean them outside first. they'll probably have those bristle foot pads and maybe an air gun.

* take a queue from your host, but for the most part watch your language, particularly when inside.

* fill your divots, replace your pitchmarks, rake the bunkers, etc. although honestly in my opinion members of clubs are actually worse about this than public courses. but you're the guest, so you want to have the best etiquette of anybody.

i think that's a good start

Each club usually has posted rules for members and guests. I have seen some shoe rules but mostly about not wearing sandals or similar before or after the round. I would still just check with the club to be clear. Have fun!

In my experience the pet policies are different from club to club. Even though it is GB its safe to say you should leave your jorts at home. I would (and have in the past) ask my host if there is anything that I should be aware of. Plan on changing shoes in the locker room, in the past I have started walking to the locker room with them and had members tell me, "you can put those on out here". Many course websites have visitor info as well.

Be polite and appreciative that usually covers most of it.

Just be respectful and follow the clothing and you generally won't have any issues

In my experience the pet policies are different from club to club. Even though it is GB its safe to say you should leave your jorts at home. I would (and have in the past) ask my host if there is anything that I should be aware of. Plan on changing shoes in the locker room, in the past I have started walking to the locker room with them and had members tell me, "you can put those on out here". Many course websites have visitor info as well.

Be polite and appreciative that usually covers most of it.

No?
f8d442f70300d1d4baedceaee03b1f13.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Definitely ask your host or check the website. I have seen the no changing shoes in the parking lot. I would say as a rule of thumb - shirts tucked in, hat forward and shorts Should not start with the words cargo or jeans. I have not seen the hat rule or shoes in the clubhouse, so that is worth checking out with your guest.

Just checked the website and there were no details. I'll have to get ahold of him.

I always show up wearing dress shoes and bring my golf shoes separately, with the expectation that I'll be changing into golf gear in the locker room.

Ask your host where you are supposed to meet him.

Look online at the courses website for dress code and other rules.

Call the course to find out if there are any special rules that you need to be aware of as a guest.

For Sunday? Was going to go with the A-Rodg jersey. I kid.

Jokes aside, I literally wouldn't be surprised if that was acceptable attire.

Ask your host or give the proshop a call a head of time and ask.

My club is fairly relaxed but still adheres to no denim, tanks and the like.

My best suggestion, and I know it goes whether country club or not, but be nice to the staff and they'll be nice back. Tips are appreciated.

Basically what posters are saying here for appearance; no denim, belt, tucked shirt, no cargo.

Other than tips you probably won't see/need any cash; if you want to buy a drink (or whatever) for your host you'll give him the cash and he'll use his number.

Our club has an area that's casual where members can take guests; limited menu, drinks, etc. There, it's ok to wear hats and golf shoes, along with the clubhouse.

Just checked the website and there were no details. I'll have to get ahold of him.

You can always call the pro shop ask them for anything that a guest should no. They'll be happy to tell you and appreciate you had the courtesy to check.

Back