Course changes and ratings updates

OldandStiff

AlsoBald
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
+
I'm curious for any feedback on how often courses you've played update their ratings.

A comment @McLovin made in another thread brought to mind a recent outing where the card and tee marker/sign (I honestly don't know what you call it) both listed 540something from the back tees on a par 5. I felt like I was a mile from the sign and my gps showed the shortest path as 583 yds. After the round I talked to the guy in the clubhouse and he mentioned that they changed the tee boxes and it's much longer now. The card, the sign, and from what I can tell the rating when posting to GHIN hadn't changed though. That 40 yards made it a completely different hole.

It brings to mind my home course. It's an older one that has limited real estate and plays rather short from the tips. Just under 6300 yds. By all accounts they've been diligent about adding obstacles to scoring on the shorter holes in recent years. Tightening doglegs, moving tee boxes laterally to force bad angles, adding water hazards in the long landing area of one of the par 5's, etc, etc. It makes it much more difficult to score under par. Again though, from looking at historical slope and ratings, they haven't changed during those years.

I know they have to updated about once a decade, so is this something that has a cost tied to it or something to have changed? I can't figure out why it wouldn't be altered more often without something like that holding it back. The cost of reprinting cards should be minor, and as long as only difficulty and not distance changed, the tee signs could stay.

Thanks for the input.

This is a good question. I ran across your thread searching for the chart to convert a slope and rating to a set of tees that haven't been rated (i.e. playing red tees, but they're not rated for men). Hopefully, someone can chime in to help since it seems no one paid attention when you posted this.

Back