Course Madness: WGGC Round of 32- (5) The Royal Saint George's Golf Club vs (4) Carnoustie Golf Links Championship

Course Madness: WGGC Round of 32- (5) The Royal St. George's Golf Club vs (4) Carnoustie Golf Links

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

fuffle master

5150 Lunatic Fringe 22’ GRANDADDY
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
The World Greatest Golf Course is now entering the Round of 32.

Here is the thread to show the full pool and all the results. You decide on which is the World's Greatest Golf Course.
https://www.thehackersparadise.com/...ss-greatest-golf-course-in-the-world.8916364/

Round of 32: As we continue to get deeper into the pool, each course will be given a bit more fun information to help you decide which is the World's Greatest Golf Course.

(4) Carnoustie Golf Links

Carnoustie Championship Scotland.jpg

The game of golf has been played in Carnoustie for well over four centuries. The first indication that the game was being played in the Angus town can be found in the Parish Records of 1560 when the game of golf was mentioned and there is every indication that the game has played an important part in the town’s life ever since.

Unfortunately, nobody knows how proficient Maule was at “golf”. As with so many of the older Scottish golf towns, the history of Carnoustie is not well recorded. We do not know the exact site where Maule and his colleagues “exercise the golf” in the 15th century but we do know that by 1839 the Carnoustie Golf Club had been formed, making it the oldest artisan club in the world.

Around that time, the Carnoustie course consisted of 10 holes, laid out by Allan Robertson, the greatest golfer of his time and the man generally acknowledged to be the first golf professional. Later, in 1867, Tom Morris Snr extended the course to 18 holes but it was not until 1926 when the great James Braid was brought in to oversee sweeping changes, that the course became ready to receive the Open Championship.

(5) The Royal St George's Golf Club

Royal St. George's.jpg

Founded in 1887 and intended by its founder, Dr. William Laidlaw Purves, to be a rival to St Andrew’s in the South of England, St George’s is consistently ranked amongst the leading courses in the World.

The Club occupies a unique place in the history of golf, for it was here in 1894, that the Open Championship was first played outside Scotland.

In all there have been 14 Open Championships played at St George’s, more than any course outside of Scotland.

The Open Championship returns to St George’s for the 15th time in 2020, when the Club will host the 149th Open Championship

Coin flip for RSG

This is gonna be a close one. In the end I went with Carnoustie

Carnoustie. Any course that is difficult for pros to break par gets my vote.

Carnoustie. Something about 400 years...

Carnoustie, the best test in the Open rota. And one course I hope to play someday.

Hard one for me, but Carnoustie in a close one. I was fortunate enough to play it.

Carnoustie won't win it all, but with the wind down, it's a BLAST to play. Have to go with that one...

Back