Photo Heavy Course Photo of the Day: Naples Grande Edition

Junkyard

Will Travel for Golf
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
There has been way too much winter weather discussion in some of the other threads here on THP, and outside my door right now it's snowing to beat the band. It's been too long since I've touched my clubs, and I know a lot of you are sick of this white stuff and are pining for some golf. While I can't make winter go away, I can hopefully bring a bit of enjoyment to your day by featuring the Naples Grande golf club in photo format.

Originally opened in 2000, this private Rees Jones designed course can play between 6955 and 5050 yards with six sets of tee blocks and slope ranging from 142 to 128. Featuring a lush landscape of Florida pine hammocks, live oak, grand cypress trees and brilliant water features it also holds the distinction of being one of the few Naples area courses that does not have any homes located on the course. It is, however located relatively close to a small airport so there is frequent air traffic overhead in the form of private jets.

Having been fortunate enough to play the course multiple times, I can say that the conditioning is second to none. Overall the course is forgiving as it offers a shot option for each player from the scratch golfer to the 20 hdcp. Several holes stand out in memory, namely the 5th, 9th and 16th.

Rees starts you off with a par 5 measuring 461 yards from the member tees. An elevated tee complex surrounded by a rock and water feature gives you a full view of the challenge ahead and also helps to put you in a relaxed frame of mind.DSC_2891.JPG
The fairway bunker on the right hand side is within range off the tee and should be avoided at all costs if you hope to make par. The left side of the fairway is higher than the right, which helps to redirect slightly offline shots back towards the centre.
DSC_2892.JPG
This longer view hints to the deep bunkering that protects the front and right hand side of the green; the best angle to approach this green is from the left. Although subtle, this green slopes from front to back and is usually lightning fast so a front pin placement will really test your mettle.

This photo from the left side of the fairway roughly 100 yards short of the green shows the depth of the green side bunkers. If you do happen to come up short, pray that your ball finds the sand as a ball getting hung up on the grass banks is no fun. Control the distance on your approach and you will have a reasonable shot at birdie which is a great way to start your round here.
DSC_6638.JPG

Playing at 158 yards from the member tees, this is the longest par 3 on the course. Club selection is important, as any shots long will find the water hazard that wraps around the back of the green. Right of the green is no picnic either, as several deep grass bunkers will make salvaging par very challenging. If you're uncomfortable with the yardage, a shot that lands slightly short on the left side will carom forward onto the putting surface thanks to the sloping left side.
DSC_6643.JPG
DSC_6644.JPG

The third hole is a medium length par 4 that takes you back towards the clubhouse. At 387 yards, it features a "table-top" fairway that has steep drop-offs on either side, so a drive as close to the middle is recommended. The table gets narrower the closer you get to the green, so long hitters need to take that into consideration.
DSC_0373.JPG
On your approach you want to pay attention to avoiding the right side of the green which features a bunker complex that is several feet below the surface of the green. The front of the green is generally open allowing shots landing just short the opportunity to bounce forward and find the putting surface.
DSC_0376.JPG

Palmetto golf course Sunday.my ball landed 5ft away from this creature. Friends said I had to play it and I did but he wasn't happy moving.
7369fbcd4e1a4a914accd41854707092.jpg
713200138af5546de0368d9a658d57ae.jpg

Sent from my SM-N981U using Tapatalk

Palmetto golf course Sunday.my ball landed 5ft away from this creature. Friends said I had to play it and I did but he wasn't happy moving.
7369fbcd4e1a4a914accd41854707092.jpg
713200138af5546de0368d9a658d57ae.jpg

Sent from my SM-N981U using Tapatalk
Yeah I'd have taken a free drop myself.

While it is only 152 yards long, the par 3 fourth hole requires accurate distance control. Hitting from a slightly elevated tee box, one must avoid the cross-bunker short of the green, while at the same time avoiding long as a stream runs behind the green. Short and right is the bail out here.
DSC_6653.JPG
DSC_6654.JPG

While it is only 152 yards long, the par 3 fourth hole requires accurate distance control. Hitting from a slightly elevated tee box, one must avoid the cross-bunker short of the green, while at the same time avoiding long as a stream runs behind the green. Short and right is the bail out here.
View attachment 8993833
View attachment 8993834
How deep is the green?

Great photos and I played it once about a decade ago. I’m playing Hole In The Wall GC tomorrow which is only about 2 miles from Naples Grande GC and also is devoid of homes.

Last edited:
Nice photos Junkyard. How much is the green fee if you stay at the resort (which is 500-600 a night) ?

Nice pic’s, played there recently, live just up the road in Bonita Springs and it’s a quick ride over. Always enjoy playing there.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

How deep is the green?
I don't have a yardage book, but a quick search shows it listed as 33 yards on a course database site. If I had guessed, I probably would have said roughly 20 yards....

Nice photos Junkyard. How much is the green fee if you stay at the resort (which is 500-600 a night) ?
TBH I'm not sure how much it would run. We've always played it as part of the Shark Pass/Franklin Templeton Shootout package, and I'd be embarrassed to tell you how little we had to pay to play it. IIRC it was in the SWFL Pga Pass for just shy of $100.

Nice pic’s, played there recently, live just up the road in Bonita Springs and it’s a quick ride over. Always enjoy playing there.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I enjoy it, it's always in superb condition and offers up a fair challenge.

The par 4 5th hole is one of my personal favourites. At 321 yards in length, your path to the green is framed by two older cypress trees that act as goalposts. A drive to the left side of the undulating fairway sets up the best angle, as anything played up the right side of the fairway forces the player to contend with two trees.
P1120861.JPG
P1120863.JPG

Off the tee the cypress tree on the left side is an ideal aiming point. Depending on your driving length, you will either wind up in the centre of the landing area as shown in this photo, or slightly tighter to the tree. Since the approach requires a fairly high ball flight, you are best to choose your club wisely to leave yourself far enough back of the tree that you don't have to contend with the overhanging branches.
P1120864.JPG
As is the case with many of the greens at NG, half of the front of the green is protected by a steep bank with bunker below which requires the player to either shape a shot in or hit a high ball that carries the hazard. The green itself is massive, so if you find yourself on the opposite half of the green from the pin, the opportunity to three-jack is real.
DSC_0387.JPG

Looks very playable!
It's kind of funny - I was thinking about this comment this morning and came to the conclusion that if you take a golf course, avoid the hazards and OB, hit fairways and greens and putt half decent pretty much every golf course is playable :D

It certainly is not a "tricked up" course like some others I have played where you're forced to play target golf or hit certain yardages to avoid hazards etc. Thinking about it, it's a bit of an anomaly for a Florida course. The fairways aren't a half-mile wide, dead straight with shallow bunkering. The course certainly eases you into your round, but as you will see the water starts to come into play. But you are absolutely correct, keep your drives fairly straight and it's a very enjoyable and moderately challenging round. Get a little offline, and you're going to be challenged a bit more, but at least you won't be reaching into your pocket for another ProV1.

The 6th hole is the longest par 4 on the front nine at 398 yards from the member tees. You will need a good drive here if you want to get home in regulation. The water in front of the tee is not in play, just more of a "visual feature". One of the widest fairways on the course, you'll only get into trouble if you stray a long way from centre as there is bunkering down both the left and right sides.
DSC_6662.JPG
Not only are you dealing with the added length, but the green is also protected by a false front that will have to be dealt with on your way to making par. Balls landing short are at the mercy of the ground: you may bounce forward, but just as easily you could be kicked left or right forcing a difficult chip. If you're going to make a choice, miss right. And be careful to control your spin with your approach as the green slopes from back to front.
DSC_6665.JPG

The 7th hole plays at 342 yards and is an interesting layout - a slight dogleg right around a water hazard with a strip bunker down the perimeter of the water. Similar to the third hole the preferred fairway is a narrow strip of tabletop; the best angle to the green will be from the left side/corner of the fairway. Halfway between the cart and the group of three tall trees is an ideal line. Longer hitters need to be careful as it is easy to hit it through the corner and the sandy scrub area under the trees will make a par extremely difficult.
DSC_0398.JPG
This photo shows the less than desirable area you will be playing from should you miss the fairway right.
DSC_0402.JPG

This is the view you want for your approach. The green is elevated and therefore surrounded by fairly steep banking on all sides other than the front. The green also has a spine that runs perpendicular to the line of play and slopes down towards both the front and back, so shots landing at the middle or back without spin will find the bank behind. If you get lucky and your ball makes it all the way to the bottom you will be hitting off a flatter area otherwise you may need to get creative. A par here can feel like a birdie.
DSC_0406.JPG

Really cool photos. Thanks for sharing.

The par 4 eighth hole is relatively short at 327 yards, but there is some visual trickery at work off the tee. The shortest path to the green is a straight line, however if you choose this path be prepared to negotiate both the rough and uneven mounds the entire length of the hole.
DSC_6674.JPG
As this photo shows, the left side of the fairway is actually in line with the right side of the green. You need to aim further right still, however the bushes beyond can force longer hitters to club down. The further to the right side of the fairway you can get the better your angle into the green.
DSC_6675.JPG

The closer you get to the green the more the fairway narrows; therefore you have to choose a distance you are comfortable with when selecting your tee shot. Again, the green is well protected by steep banks/mounding with sand traps below. Aim for the middle of the green and take your chances on a birdie putt.
DSC_6676.JPG

Back