Course Review: Sheep Ranch (at Bandon Dunes)

tequila4kapp

Tom Watson called to say “Hi”
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
USGA 13.5
Sheep Ranch is the latest addition to the Bandon Dunes resort complex, joining Bandon Trails, Old MacDonald, Bandon Dunes, Pacific Dunes and The Preserve. In a curious twist, Sheep Ranch has actually been here from the beginning, albeit in a different form. For years patrons in the know could play a mysterious 13 hole ‘wild’ course to the north of Old MacDonald. For $100 someone would meet you at the gate, unlock it to let you in and you had the place to yourself for the full day. Scorecards still exist for the original loose routing. I stupidly never took advantage of the opportunity.

The current version of Sheep Ranch is built upon that original foundation. 12 of those original 13 fairways are in use today (one was retired, as it was deemed too close to the only residential house on the entire property); all 13 of the original greens are reused.

Sheep Ranch is not merely the next course north of Old MacDonald. It is built on “Five Mile Point” a piece of property that juts west into the Pacific Ocean. This geographic features provides the real estate which allows for 9 ocean holes and gives us fantastic panoramic ocean views. It also means the property has a micro-climate and is much more exposed to the wind. We played in sustained winds of 45mph one afternoon. The next morning the winds were “only” 25 mph.

Layout (Grade A-)
Sheep Ranch’s layout is an interesting conundrum. At first blush, several things jump out at us:
  • 9 holes with ocean front greens, tees or fairways (the most ocean frontage on the property)
  • A wide open expansive look and feel, almost like Old Mac
  • Large greens, again a bit like Old Mac
  • Not a single sand bunker on the property
  • No internal water
The lack of traditional hazards can lead one to believe the course is easy. This is understandable, but it completely ignores the role of wind in our golfing experience (remember Five Mile Point). Consider that summer winds are demonstrably out of the North. Take a look at the routing map below. The wind only helps on 3 holes and those 3 holes are designed in a way that wind help maybe isn’t especially needed. The winter wind comes out of the SW; the course will play entirely differently as a result.

Let’s explore this a little further. Consider the 18th hole. This is a slightly uphill par 5 playing 437 yards from the green tees (@6200 yards total). At first blush this is a very short par 5, probably too short. However, consider that the summer wind is blowing very hard left to right. The preferred line requires us to aim directly at a massive row of gorse bushes down the far left side of the fairway. If we somehow hit the ball through the wind we are dead. If we hit the ball on that line and the wind blows it a little right we are in danger of finding one of several grass fairway bunkers. If we bail out or the wind pushes our drive excessively right our approach becomes decidedly longer, to the point that the hole doesn’t play at its advertised distance. I had 2nd shots that were 50 yards different, simply because of the way the course design brings the prevailing wind into play. This happens on every hole.

So on one hand we have the absolute impression that Sheep Ranch is a beautifully designed course which combines the 9 ocean holes with smart links design. But for me something was missing. I have really struggled to put my finger on it, but somehow I did not fall in love with Sheep Ranch the same way I did with Bandon and Pacific. I am clearly the exception, as Sheep Ranch is wildly popular. One day we were on property Sheep Ranch had 258 rounds played. The other five courses commonly see approximately 600 rounds total played between them. A bus driver told me I was literally the only person he’d encountered in the month since the course opened that did not rave about Sheep Ranch. So clearly I am the outlier here – everyone else seems to love Sheep Ranch.

1593826293631.png

Course Conditions (Grade C+)
Understand that as of the writing of this review the course is a new baby, less than a month old. This shows in two main ways.

First is that the greens are immature. The grass cannot be mowed to normal heights for fear of killing it. Also, the greens are sanded to help promote their development. This means they play slower than usual. Somewhat counter intuitively, the greens are actually extremely firm and do not currently hold approach shots especially well. It is normal to need to land the ball at the very front of the green or short of the green and expect it to roll up. On more than one occasional beautifully struck balls landed front third or middle of the green and ran completely through the green. I look forward to playing the course again next year to see that this has improved.

The second way we see the course is young is in the fairways. As mentioned above, Sheep Ranch was originally built as a 13 hole track back in the early 2000’s, when the resort was first built. At that time sod was laid down over sand to create fairways. From that point until now Sheep Ranch was only moderately maintained, as the facility wasn’t really available to the public for regular play. What we see now is the original fairway grass is often patchy and spotty. I expect this to improve and normalize now that the course is being maintained properly. But for the time being there are sections of fairway that are not pleasing to the eye.
IMG_0841.JPG

Pace of Play (Grade A)
I played twice, once in the late afternoon and again at 8am. My group had a couple of guys that were slow; we were the trouble group both days. Marshals are placed throughout the course. If you are slow you see them at least 4 times and they give you a polite request to speed things up. If you are on time you probably never know they exist.

The course takes pace of play extremely seriously. The marshals have ipads with software that tracks the times for every group. The info is shared with other courses on property. If you are designated a slow group you may get a quick talk before your next round starts. Or you may have your tee time adjusted – as we did on day 2 – so that a 3some moved in front of us and 2 open times were left behind us.

Bandon can’t control everything, such as a guy in our group who moved at a truly glacial pace, never played ready golf and often paused on tee boxes to take numerous photos. But they have a system in place to do everything humanly possible to keep thing moving. I give them credit for taking those efforts.

Amenities (Grade A)
The other courses at Bandon Dunes Resort do not offer cart girls. Instead, courses at the resort have fixed facilities at strategic locations. Sheep Ranch is no exception, with two facilities that you access from the course. The clubhouse has the pro shop and a small grill. It is accessible off the 1st tee and 11th green. There is another snack shack type facility that - from memory - is centrally located to the tees/greens off of 4, 5, 10, 11, 14 and 15.

Notably, Sheep Ranch is the only course that has its own driving range. The range is a short walk of maybe a hundred yards beyond the first tee. The range is extremely deep and very nice. My only complaint was that it orients into the morning sun and I couldn’t see my ball. A minor quibble.
IMG_0881.JPG

Price (Grade A+)
It costs more to play Sheep Ranch than your local course. But it also costs way less to play this world class resort course than nearly any other course of comparable quality. Add in the possibility of playing the course as a discounted second round of the day or the free third round of the day and we must conclude that the price is a bargain.

Overall (Grade B+)
It is very easy to understand why Sheep Ranch is so wildly popular. It features 9 beautiful ocean holes and an overall minimal number of hazards. This sets up to be a course that most people should have fun playing, and which should be very scenic. But I have my suspicions that the wind is going to take a toll on the courses’ overall popularity. Even with sunny weather, the wind can wear you down and can decrease the fun one has during a round. It will be interesting to see if the beauty and playability of Sheep Ranch has long term staying power and continues to make people overlook the challenges of playing in the wind. Time will tell.

Last edited:
Shots of the 1st hole, a downhill par 5. This is probably the best opening hole on the property.

IMG_0815.JPGIMG_0822.JPG

IMG_0823.JPG

A look back toward the tees to show the elevation change
IMG_0824.JPG

The walk to the 2nd hole then the 2nd hole, a short dog leg right (players to the right are on the green)
IMG_0826.JPGIMG_0828.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_0814.JPG
    IMG_0814.JPG
    108.7 KB · Views: 10
Last edited:
The 3rd green. #3 is a short par 3 (tee is over the right shoulder of the person bending down on the green)
IMG_0832.JPG

Number 4, a slight dog leg right. Good luck knowing where to go without a caddy
IMG_0833.JPG

IMG_0835.JPG

5 is a longer par 3
IMG_0838.JPG
Do not go long
IMG_0839.JPG

Last edited:
6 is definitely one of the iconic holes on the course. A dog leg right where you are forced to hit over the ocean cliff with the dog leg protected by gorse bushes.
IMG_0840.JPG

IMG_0841.JPG

this is what happens if you chicken out and don't take on the dog leg...220 yard type approach shots into par 4's
IMG_0844.JPG

7 is another par 3 into the ocean
IMG_0845.JPG

Last edited:
8 is a dog leg right par 4 dead into the wind
IMG_0846.JPG

IMG_0847.JPG
the 9th tee and hole, a par 4 heading back to the ocean
IMG_0849.JPG

IMG_0850.JPG
notice the para-surfers in the background
IMG_0855.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_0852.JPG
    IMG_0852.JPG
    62.4 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_0851.JPG
    IMG_0851.JPG
    58.4 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:
10 and 11 take us inland. 11 is uphill into the wind - a 4 shot hole
IMG_0856.JPG

IMG_0857.JPG

IMG_0860.JPG

IMG_0861.JPG

IMG_0862.JPG

IMG_0863.JPG

12, 13 and 14 are inland holes
IMG_0864.JPG

IMG_0869.JPG

IMG_0870.JPG

IMG_0871.JPG

the course is so new we still see the handwritten yardages on sprinklers
IMG_0872.JPG

IMG_0874.JPG

Last edited:
15 brings us back to the ocean. 16 is destined to battle with 6 for most iconic hole on the course
IMG_0875.JPG
IMG_0876.JPG

IMG_0878.JPG

IMG_0880.JPG

Last edited:
the walk to 17, and the 17th hole.

IMG_0881.JPG

The wind blows hard from the left, pushing many tee shots into the big waste area to the far right of the picture. A person with a fade has to start their ball probably 20 yards left of the cliff out over the ocean.
IMG_0882.JPG
a couple of shots back up the 17th fairway toward the tees
IMG_0884.JPG

IMG_0885.JPG

Last edited:
The 18th. Our preferred line is up the left side toward those gorse bushes. The wind is blowing hard from the left, pushing our ball right either into the fairway grass bunkers or well right, giving us as much as 50 extra yards into the green on our 2nd shot

IMG_0887.JPG

IMG_0888.JPG

IMG_0890.JPG

Last edited:
Sheep Ranch is the latest addition to the Bandon Dunes resort complex, joining Bandon Trails, Old MacDonald, Bandon Dunes, Pacific Dunes and The Preserve. In a curious twist, Sheep Ranch has actually been here from the beginning, albeit in a different form. For years patrons in the know could play a mysterious 13 hole ‘wild’ course to the north of Old MacDonald. For $100 someone would meet you at the gate, unlock it to let you in and you had the place to yourself for the full day. Scorecards still exist for the original loose routing. I stupidly never took advantage of the opportunity.

The current version of Sheep Ranch is built upon that original foundation. 12 of those original 13 fairways are in use today (one was retired, as it was deemed too close to the only residential house on the entire property); all 13 of the original greens are reused.

Sheep Ranch is not merely the next course north of Old MacDonald. It is built on “Five Mile Point” a piece of property that juts west into the Pacific Ocean. The geographic features provides the real estate which allows for 9 ocean holes and gives us fantastic panoramic ocean views. It also means the property has a micro-climate and is much more exposed to the wind. We played in sustained winds of 45mph one afternoon. The next morning the winds were “only” 25 mph.

Layout (Grade A-)
Sheep Ranch’s layout is an interesting conundrum. At first blush, several things jump out at us:
  • 9 holes with ocean front greens, tees or fairways (the most ocean frontage on the property)
  • A wide open expansive look and feel, almost like Old Mac
  • Large greens, again a bit like Old Mac
  • Not a single sand bunker on the property
  • No internal water
The lack of traditional hazards can lead one to believe the course is easy. This is understandable, but it completely ignores the role of wind in our golfing experience (remember Five Mile Point). Consider that summer winds are demonstrably out of the North. Take a look at the routing map below. The wind only helps on 3 holes and those 3 holes are designed in a way that wind help maybe isn’t especially needed. The winter wind comes out of the SW; the course will play entirely differently as a result.

Let’s explore this a little further. Consider the 18th hole. This is a slightly uphill par 5 playing 437 yards from the green tees (@6200 yards total). At first blush this is a very short par 5, probably too short. However, consider that the summer wind is blowing very hard left to right. The preferred line requires us to aim directly at a massive row of gorse bushes down the far left side of the fairway. If we somehow hit the ball through the wind we are dead. If we hit the ball on that line and the wind blows it a little right we are in danger of finding one of several grass fairway bunkers. If we bail out or the wind pushes our drives excessively right our approach becomes decidedly longer, to the point that the hole doesn’t play at its advertised distance. I had 2nd shots that were 40 yards different, simply because of the way the course design brings the prevailing wind into play. This happens on every hole.

So on one hand we have the absolute impression that Sheep Ranch is a beautifully designed course which combines the 9 ocean holes with smart links design. But for me something was missing. I have really struggled to put my finger on it, but somehow I did not fall in love with Sheep Ranch the same way I did with Bandon and Pacific. I am clearly the exception, as Sheep Ranch is wildly popular. One day we were on property Sheep Ranch had 258 rounds played. The other five courses commonly see approximately 600 rounds total played between them. A bus driver told me I was literally the only person he’d encountered in the month since the course opened that did not rave about Sheep Ranch. So clearly I am the outlier here – everyone else seems to love Sheep Ranch.

View attachment 8951797

Course Conditions (Grade C+)
Understand that as of the writing of this review the course is a new baby, less than a month old. This shows in two main ways.

First is that the greens are immature. The grass cannot be mowed to normal heights for fear of killing it. Also, the greens are sanded to help promote their development. This means they play slower than usual. Somewhat counter intuitively, the greens are actually extremely firm and do not currently hold approach shots especially well. It is normal to need to land the ball at the very front of the green or short of the green and expect it to roll up. On more than one occasional beautifully struck balls landed front third or middle of the green and ran completely through the green. I look forward to playing the course again next year to see that this has improved.

The second way we see the course is young is in the fairways. As mentioned above, Sheep Ranch was originally built as a 13 hole track back in the early 2000’s, when the resort was first built. At that time sod was laid down over sand to create fairways. From that point until now Sheep Ranch was only moderately maintained, as the facility wasn’t really available to the public for regular play. What we see now is the original fairway grass is often patchy and spotty. I expect this to improve and normalize now that the course is being maintained properly. But for the time being there are sections of fairway that are not pleasing to the eye.
View attachment 8951799

Pace of Play (Grade A)
I played twice, once in the late afternoon and again at 8am. My group had a couple of guys that were slow; we were the trouble group both days. Marshals are placed throughout the course. If you are slow you see them at least 4 times and they give you a polite request to speed things up. If you are on time you probably never know they exist.

The course takes pace of play extremely seriously. The marshals have ipads with software the tracks the times for every group. The info is shared with other courses on property. If you are designated a slow group you may get a quick talk before your next round starts. Or you may have your tee time adjusted – as we did on day 2 – so that a 3some moved in front of us and 2 open times were left behind us.

Bandon can’t control everything, such as a guy in our group who moved at a truly glacial pace, never played ready golf and often paused on tee boxes to take numerous photos. But they have a system in place to do everything humanly possible to keep thing moving. I give them credit for taking those efforts.

Amenities (Grade A)
As with all courses at Bandon Dunes Golf Resort, there aren’t people riding around selling food and drinks on carts. Instead, courses at the resort have fixed facilities at strategic locations. Sheep Ranch is no exception, with two facilities that you access from the course. The clubhouse house has the pro shop and a small grill. It is accessible off the 1st tee and 11th green. There is another snack shack type facility that - from memory - is centrally located to the tees/greens off of 4, 5, 10, 11, 14 and 15.

Notably, Sheep Ranch is the only course that has its own driving range. The range is a short walk of maybe a hundred yards beyond the first tee. The range is extremely deep and very nice. My only complaint was that it orients into the morning sun and I couldn’t see my ball. A minor quibble.
View attachment 8951798

Price (Grade A+)
It costs more to play Sheep Ranch than your local course. But it also costs way less to play this world class resort course than nearly any other course of comparable quality. Add in the possibility of playing the course as a discounted second round of the day or the free third round of the day and we must conclude that the price is a bargain.

Overall (Grade B+)
It is very easy to understand why Sheep Ranch is so wildly popular. It features 9 beautiful ocean holes and an overall minimal number of hazards. This sets up to be a course that most people should have fun playing, and which should be very scenic. But I have my suspicions that the wind is going to take a toll on the courses’ overall popularity. Even with sunny weather, the wind can wear you down and can decrease the fun one has during a round. It will be interesting to see if the beauty and playability of Sheep Ranch has long term staying power and continues to make people overlook the challenges of playing in the wind. Time will tell.

Thanks for this Frank. Bandon is on the list to ply one day. I love everything about it.

Exciting Frank!! Glad to say you thought the layout was an A. Hopefully the course conditions come around soon.

How was the wind??

Exciting Frank!! Glad to say you thought the layout was an A. Hopefully the course conditions come around soon.

How was the wind??
Brutal wind. Sustained afternoon winds of 45mph on day 1. The 16th hole is one of probably 3 iconic holes. It was 105 yards dead into the wind that afternoon. I played 7i, my 165 yard club. I absolutely nutted one. The ball was 5 yards above the hole. I was really striking the ball and lag putting exceptionally well this day and shot 82. The next day in 25mph winds I wasn't striking the ball well. Just a TINY bit of side spin on the ball in that wind and sonofabitch you are going sideways. By about the 11th hole I had my fill and was done.

God I am so pissed that Covid killed our trip. We were due to be at Bandon the weekend before opening, but I was hearing that preview rounds were happening. Glad you got to play and get some photos. Definitely have something else to look forward to once I get that way.

Great write up. I was at Bandon in January, can’t wait to go back.

What an in depth and great review sir! Thank you very much for sharing!!

Great write-up and photos, Thanks for sharing. One of these days .........

Great review and photos, thanks for sharing it! The course looks brutal enough, but then factor in that wind and it sounds like a real battle.

Great review and photos, thanks for sharing it! The course looks brutal enough, but then factor in that wind and it sounds like a real battle.
From green tees the slope is only 119. The same tees at Bandon and Pacific are 133/134. I’m convinced the course rates lower because of things like no sand bunkers. But it’s every bit as tough as the others when you account for wind.

From green tees the slope is only 119. The same tees at Bandon and Pacific are 133/134. I’m convinced the course rates lower because of things like no sand bunkers. But it’s every bit as tough as the others when you account for wind.
Amazing. Just from looking at the photos I'd think the slope would be a lot higher than that. Looks like a lot of places to lose balls in that tall grass if you get a little wayward!

Thanks for sharing.....looks awesome.

Great info and photos.

Thanks for the write up and photos. I will get to
Bandon at some point.

My wife and I played the Sheep Ranch about a week after it opened in June. We have been fortunate enough to play all over the U.S. and in Scotland, and the Sheep Ranch is now our all-time favorite course!! The review and photos brought back some very pleasant memories!!

Going out there in 2021. Cannot wait to see it for myself. Thank you for the excellent review and for continuing to be the Bandon expert on the forum @tequila4kapp

Back