Course Review: Sheep Ranch (at Bandon Dunes)

Great write up and pics. Thanks for sharing.

Our caddie tried his damndest to get us a sneak peek last September. I guess we'll have to wait for next time!

Thanks. I enjoyed your write up, review and photos. The last time I was in the Bandon area was 1993. That predates the golf courses. I would love to return as the Oregon coast is spectacular.

well done on the write up and photos. i could probably talk the wife into a trip out there at some point.

Wow! Great review and absolutely gorgeous pictures.

I will make a trip to Bandon in the next few years and take all of these courses in.

Great write up and review. I'd argue that analyzing the conditioning on a newly opened course is appropriate to compare against other newly opened vs courses which have been around. With the wind conditions one can comprehend the lack of bunkers as blown out bunkers would occur continually but a few should/need to be intact for potential USGA play via Championships. Which Bandon has been orchestrating.
Have been to Bandon three times. When 2 then 3 and when Old Mac opened. It is the best golf facility in the US. Pinehurst is the only facility which could argue that. It looks like 2021 will be my return but I had a Scottish trip pushed back and that causes some hurdles.
The relationship between Friedman and Keiser postulates whether Mike really wanted Sheep Ranch to rise to be viewed as the best of??? A total lack of sand bunkers is difficult to position the course as rated premier. When I say rated premier I mean every course there is in the top 100 of the US, so how high will Sheep Ranch go? The terrain is sandy and many areas would seem a natural fit for sand bunkers. It shall be interesting to see where Sheep Ranch falls in the rating lists....I tend to think your analysis will be closer to the truth than what everybody says....Playing the new toy typically elicits grander views than playing the old one. Something about being somewhere others haven't.....

That was really a treat to read and behold. Thank you!
Those wind-tattered mangled trees all around are like, "119 slope, huh?" (y):LOL:
((Do they factor in wind for slope?)) :unsure:
Those tee shots, especially over the ocean sound super fun. As a midwest kid, send me anywhere with ocean views. :love:

it would have been ok for you to say you don’t want to go.

Ha, I think the next big trip will be to Ireland because my Dad has been saying forever he wants to go there but Bandon would be on my list right after.

Ha, I think the next big trip will be to Ireland because my Dad has been saying forever he wants to go there but Bandon would be on my list right after.
Both are so awesome. Maybe it’s becuse I’ve been to Bandon a few times but I vote Ireland. Killarney is such a special place and the courses, people and experience are second to none. Bandon doesn’t take a back seat to anyone but it’s different, more of the best guys golf destination ever type thing.

Amazing photos and writeup. I want to go!

Both are so awesome. Maybe it’s becuse I’ve been to Bandon a few times but I vote Ireland. Killarney is such a special place and the courses, people and experience are second to none. Bandon doesn’t take a back seat to anyone but it’s different, more of the best guys golf destination ever type thing.

Bandon seems perfect for golf and hanging out in one place. Ireland will be the first destination for us though (I hope).

Great write up. I just can't convince myself to spend the dollars to get wind and weather whipped.

Looks incredible!

Great review, thanks for sharing.

I hope to play Bandon next year after I have both of my knees replaced this winter. No way I could walk those courses right now.

After my trip in April was cancelled, I have been absorbing Bandon content like a crazy person. Great to get such a well done review by a THPer on the new track! When I finally do make it next year, it will be a welcome sign of things heading the right direction, can’t wait!

Thanks so much for the report Frank! I really, really want to plan a Bandon trip with all my buddies to stay a week and play every course there.

Back