Course Strategy - Pre-Round

Bryndom

2023 Grandaddy X!!!
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
GHIN 15
When you are playing a course for a first time (say maybe on a THP Experience :cool: ), do you perform any research viewing flyovers, scorecards, or lookup any course details to figure out how you might play the course?

Especially with THP Experience courses, I enjoy reading or viewing information about the course as I follow along. If I'm playing a local course, I'll look at the scorecard for the general layout. I don't take notes or anything, but something to help get a bit of a feel for the course...

I may look at Google earth flyovers if available. Otherwise just the scorecard is good enough for me. If playing new course hopefully will be paired with someone who has some knowledge of it.

100% research it. Even just pictures of the course (usually its the signature hole) but I get a feel for what to expect. Especially here in AZ where traditional golf courses lack compared to forced desert carry courses.

I'll look at the score card and read course reviews (with a grain of salt).

Absolutely research it. Many course websites will even have a hole by hole breakdown that I'll bookmark on my phone browser.

I do, many times courses will have hole by hole explanations and pix which help me plan a bit. Nothing helps more than someone with course knowledge, though

I check reviews before playing a new course, but pretty much wing it. The Grint app on my phone has GPS and helps me pick clubs and angles when I get on the course.

Usually look it up on 18birdies to get a idea of the course. Also look @the website to see what the alcohol situation is in case of a crap round. 😥🍸

If it is not league play, I don't bother. If it is league play, I get as much info as possible. I get swing by swing, score cards, course layout, distances to bunkers, vlogs, etc. I study the course and plot the clubs I will use off the tee box with where I plan to hit the ball and as many shots as possible. I do a small print out of what off the tee shot will be. Course strategy gets you as familiar as possible before you get there and is kind of fun too.

Yeah, I'll do some research. As others have said, website with hole flyovers or maps. I'll usually by a course book when I get there too because I like to have them.

I look at their website for whatever information they may have about the course, check out the scorecard, read some reviews, and if I'm feeling particularly industrious I'll look at it in Google Earth.

Playing Saturday at a new-to-me-course with @Muchmore18. I will spend some time looking at the course with an app like golfshot. I don't think that helps me any, but I like to get a little idea of the course. As to strategy, my approach will be to get off the first tee without too much carnage and then have a great time with a fellow Montana THPer. (y)

Arccos is good for this sort of thing too. I would for sure take the time to check out courses. I mostly concern myself with club selection off tee boxes.

When playing a new course, I absolutely pre-plan and check out hole layouts and everything. I love course websites that have all that information on their site already. Even if they do though, I go on 18Birdies and start looking at distances and start thinking of how I'm going to play. Usually goes out the window pretty quick if my swing isn't cooperating but it's a bunch of fun to do!

Playing Saturday at a new-to-me-course with @Muchmore18. I will spend some time looking at the course with an app like golfshot. I don't think that helps me any, but I like to get a little idea of the course. As to strategy, my approach will be to get off the first tee without too much carnage and then have a great time with a fellow Montana THPer. (y)
Wait...you've never played Old Works?? Ohhhh man this is going to be awesome! Can't wait to see you there and see what you think!

i'll do some online research...search here on THP...take a look at pics and the score card. honestly, i am just looking at the scenery, tho :rolleyes:

I will look it up and see if there are any hole by hole guides for the course.

If it's a team event thing I just want to show up and be surprised by it all. If it's a personal score or match or tournament, I research it in all the the ways mentioned in various degrees ranging from casually, to obsessively.

I use SwingU and you can look up courses and tour the course using their satellite pics of each hole...sometimes I look it over, sometimes I just go play.

If it's more than just a weekend random round I'll look in to it for sure.

Grint plus a lot of courses now walk you through with tons of information about each hole.

When you are playing a course for a first time (say maybe on a THP Experience :cool: ), do you perform any research viewing flyovers, scorecards, or lookup any course details to figure out how you might play the course?

Especially with THP Experience courses, I enjoy reading or viewing information about the course as I follow along. If I'm playing a local course, I'll look at the scorecard for the general layout. I don't take notes or anything, but something to help get a bit of a feel for the course...

Hitting fairways and greens works well for any golf course.

Use The Grint gps flyover of the course to get a general idea of how I want to attack each hole.

I may look to get an idea, but I won’t pre plan anything. My game is currently in the “keep it simple “ stage. The less I’m thinking while playing the better off I am. I cant shape my shots on demand so I’m better off avoiding that pressure right now.

Back