Course Strategy: True Blue Edition

DataDude

Snakebite X Fan
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
I am going with my buddies to Myrtle Beach in May. We were looking at some of the holes on The Grint and talking about the strategy. This one will be fun since some lucky THP'ers will also be heading there for the Mizuno Experience with @Canadan & @Jman.

This is hole 4 a 493 yard par 5 from the Blue Tees. Lot's of risk/reward here. That well positioned tee shot from where I marked will certainly present a tempting option to go for the green across the water.

How do you play this and why?

Screenshot_20210225-194256_TheGrint.jpg

I am going with my buddies to Myrtle Beach in May. We were looking at some of the holes on The Grint and talking about the strategy. This one will be fun since some lucky THP'ers will also be heading there for the Mizuno Experience with @Canadan & @Jman.

This is hole 4 a 493 yard par 5 from the Blue Tees. Lot's of risk/reward here. That well positioned tee shot from where I marked will certainly present a tempting option to go for the green across the water.

How do you play this and why?

View attachment 8995261
hahahahaha ugh, THAT hole. Love it, a lot, but rarely get too wrapped up in it. All risk IMO.

Ew. Yeah I'd make a bad decision and go for it.

When I played there in 2016, my strategy was to hit a hook to waters edge miraculously staying out of the water, play a layup with my feet in the water, hit into the sand trap, pooch punch way short, and then 3-putt. And with pops that was actually OK. 😉

On the plus side, I'm too short to have to worry about making this one a two shotter. On the minus side, I'm a RH golfer prone to draws, hooks, and pulls, so I'd probably find water playing it as a three shotter anyway. SCARY hole.

Don't forget the option to cut the corner, affectionally known as the "Spicoli Line"

If the pin is on the left side of the green, that's a CRAZY scary shot to try to go for in two.

Ahh …. this hole (y) back in the day I could reach this one in two. Nowadays not so much … well, depending on which tee we play from. Luckily I don't have a draw in my repertoire anymore. It used to be my go-to shot but sad to say it doesn't happen very often anymore. So that helps me avoid the water on the tee shot at least. 2nd shot … well that's a different story. I'd probably play it as a 3 shot par 5, depending on how well I get off the tee box. Fun hole regardless. Hope to be playing it with fellow THP'ers soon ;)

Pro tip: Snap hook two in the water off the tee and just concede the hole. Get it out of the way, it's way easier.

If you have no intention of going for it, hit anything you want off the tee that doesn't put you through the fairway. Layup as close to that waste bunker way way right of the green for the better angle going in. That green is a son of a b so make sure you give yourself a putt from the proper level, preferably from under the hole.

Unless I'm down in match play and I desperately need to win the hole, I'm going to hit 4 wood off the tee and a middle or short iron to 85ish yards so I have a full LW into the green.

Depends on how I'm hitting it that day. The day I played, it was a 3 shot hole:)

On the plus side, I'm too short to have to worry about making this one a two shotter. On the minus side, I'm a RH golfer prone to draws, hooks, and pulls, so I'd probably find water playing it as a three shotter anyway. SCARY hole.

I am with Daddio. I need to lay up and try to make birdie with a wedge.

No risk it no biscuit lol. I'm bombing away with driver hoping to find the fairway then going for it with a long iron depending on what's left. In all likelihood I'm putting at least one in the water :LOL:

If you're going with this scenario, you need to flirt the water on the tee ball. Leaving about 200-210 in, and, you'll be lucky to have a flat lie in that fairway. Then you either fire at the center of the green, or aim right of the pot bunker by the green, and easily get out with par.

That green is not as big as it looks in that pic. And, the slopes around that green, are not even close to represented from a sat pic.

That hole is tough! Somewhere there's a picture of me standing in the beachy area along the water hitting my shot during a THP event. My partner was on alligator watch while I was hitting.

Keeping it down the left side of the fairway is the ideal play. Even then it's still a tough and long approach.

30492DE8-466B-4497-AF75-53B920DE8608.jpeg

If you play scared like I typically have and go down the right side is a loonnnggg approach in.

298FFF06-9BDE-4B86-934B-0E3B9A765163.jpeg

I think I've always laid up on my second shot and just tried chipping it close for a par. A big number can happen pretty quick on that hole!

In theory, I’m taking the long way around the water and hoping to get on in three. No way I’m attempting that carry, I know my limitations.

In reality, I’m probably snap hooking my tee shot into the water, overcompensating to the right on my next shot and putting it in the right side bunker, and ultimately hoping to get on in 5 and two putt to earn my double. 😆

Standard par 5 for me, driver, 5 wood, wedge. With my fade, no fear of gators but, I would have to watch for snakes and ticks in the woods. 😎

I've definitely played out of the trees both through the fairway on the right, and to the right of that hahaha - Something about that water just does NOT appeal to me when I play there.

cause momma didn't raise no fool

oldguy.jpg

Haha, got curious and did the arccos caddie thing and it was a trip. Wanted me to 3 shot #4, ok fine. then like drive the green on the rest of the par 4s on the front 9. Then bench the driver for most of the back 9.
What a fun looking course.

Taking the long way around every time. I’m not a long hitter by any stretch of the imagination. So driver, hybrid, iron, and wedge. Hopefully 2 putt for a bogey. I’ll take a plus one on that hole and hope whoever I’m playing against shoots par or bogey and win the hole.

3W to the bottleneck, and then it really depends on the green, the pin, and my lie. If things look good it's on, if they don't it's play short right and try to work an up and down from 40 or 50-ish?

Taking the long way around every time. I’m not a long hitter by any stretch of the imagination. So driver, hybrid, iron, and wedge. Hopefully 2 putt for a bogey. I’ll take a plus one on that hole and hope whoever I’m playing against shoots par or bogey and win the hole.
You also wouldn't be playing from 6,800+ at TB :ROFLMAO:

That's big distance on that ground at sea level.

When I played it, I was making sure I put the drive on dry land which meant a fade to the right side of the fairway. The stay middle right on a layup before trying to play something to the green. Lots of places on that course where you can let it fly and find it, but this was an avoid the triple par 5 to me.

3W to the bottleneck, and then it really depends on the green, the pin, and my lie. If things look good it's on, if they don't it's play short right and try to work an up and down from 40 or 50-ish?
If I’m depending on my lie, and there’s no cameras around, I stuck the green in two:cool:

Back