Courses in Hilton Head Island

SearchingPure2

Reaction score
Hello, wondering if anyone has played out on Hilton Head? Right now I'm around a +20-25 HCP and want to play on courses where it won't be so hard it's not enjoyable. Any recs? So far I've looked at Hilton Head National/Golden Bear/Old South...not sure if the Palmetto Dunes courses are more difficult.

Thanks!

I think Hilton Head National is a good one - don't recall it being too tough and not a lot of forced carries...yet it was in good shape and had some fun holes. Can't help you on the other ones unfortunately...

Palmetto Dunes are great, would stay away from the Fazio track.

Agree with this guy☝️ Palmetto Dunes have a few great courses. I’ve played a couple others as well but these by far are the best.

I played Golden Bear this summer and it was ok and I am not remembering any forced carries of note. I agree the courses at Palmetto Dunes are more fun and memorable, but they have a higher price tag usually as well.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I've been a couple of times as guest of buddy who has a time share. He has Shipyard and the associated courses in his "plan". Prices are nicely discounted. One year we did a timeshare sales pitch and got free gold at Crescent Pointe and Eagle Pointe off just off the island. They were still in housing complexes but much more spread out than on the island. That was nice. As a player who can get a little sideways from time to time, I was pretty nervous the first time down there. I worked on my 5 wood as a "get off the the first tee" club then proceeded to hit 2 balls in a pond and pop up a 3rd that just cleared the pond. Something about the starter, 3 other 4somes and a couple gators watching me on the 1st tee box jacked up my nerves. Anyways played pretty well after that...

Hello, wondering if anyone has played out on Hilton Head? Right now I'm around a +20-25 HCP and want to play on courses where it won't be so hard it's not enjoyable. Any recs? So far I've looked at Hilton Head National/Golden Bear/Old South...not sure if the Palmetto Dunes courses are more difficult.

Thanks!
I get to Hilton Head here and there but typically roll around the private courses. I'll be down in 5 weeks at Wexford, Oldfield, CCHH and Sea Pines courses as my bud winters there. I have a great book by Daniel Wexler which analyzes every course there....His book rates HHN as a 5 in hardness, ratings go 1-10...It's of average difficulty. Golden Bear is a 6 little tougher, Old South is a 5. Palmetto Dunes is a 7 for Jones, Fazio and 6 Hills. Port Royal Barony is a 4, Robbers Row a 6. Shipyard is a 5, Dolphin Head is a 5, My rec for you would try to stick to the 5's and the 4. Unless a great deal available elsewhere.

I get to Hilton Head here and there but typically roll around the private courses. I'll be down in 5 weeks at Wexford, Oldfield, CCHH and Sea Pines courses as my bud winters there. I have a great book by Daniel Wexler which analyzes every course there....His book rates HHN as a 5 in hardness, ratings go 1-10...It's of average difficulty. Golden Bear is a 6 little tougher, Old South is a 5. Palmetto Dunes is a 7 for Jones, Fazio and 6 Hills. Port Royal Barony is a 4, Robbers Row a 6. Shipyard is a 5, Dolphin Head is a 5, My rec for you would try to stick to the 5's and the 4. Unless a great deal available elsewhere.

Thanks for the info! Do you happen to have the rating for Oyster Reef?

Oyster Reef is pretty narrow, I'd agree with the 7 rating

My ratings system would be based on the # of houses or decks I hit... the scale would also go 0-10...

j/k more like 0-3...

Try Old South Golf Links. One side is straight links style, the other side is island tee box to island fairway to island green. It is all shot placement. Harbour Town is great, but expensive. Postage Stamp greens, and when they hand you the yardage book actually look at it. The Davis Love course is nice. Daufuskie Island is great

Palmetto Dunes is nice golf. Aruthur Hills course is fun. HH National is good too. Lots of good options.
The fried chicken at the convenience store in Palmetto Dunes is unreal.

Off island there are courses that are more open and cheaper. Dolphin Head on the north side of the island isn't too bad either

yes, if you want a bit more landing room from the tee the courses off island are generally better. We play the courses out at Sun city. typically good shape but wide enough for a 25 handicap. Some of the island courses force me to hit a 7i off the tee in par 4's. I can't score or have fun under pine trees in pine straw.

March 20-27th for me. Is there a good 3 or 4 round package deal to be found? Lodging is taken care of just need golf.

This is the only one I've found so far: https://hhigolfvacations.com/golf-only-specials/

Of these choices which is the best for three rounds for an 18 handicap that hasn't played in months? Like the Op, I'm on vacation to have fun not get kicked in the teeth for 18 holes.

March 20-27th for me. Is there a good 3 or 4 round package deal to be found? Lodging is taken care of just need golf.

This is the only one I've found so far: https://hhigolfvacations.com/golf-only-specials/

Of these choices which is the best for three rounds for an 18 handicap that hasn't played in months? Like the Op, I'm on vacation to have fun not get kicked in the teeth for 18 holes.

Hilton Head National, Old South, and Dolphin Head.

Palmetto Hall Courses?

Hilton Head National and Haig Point (on Dafuskie Island) were a lot of fun. Haig Point is probably the best conditions I've ever played on.

Played the following courses in the last month. I am an 18.5 HC

Port Royal Courses Barony, Port Royal Courses Robber: Played both of these courses the same day. Condition was OK. If I ever went back would play these again
The Golf Club at Hilton Head Lakes: Nice wide fairways, which was a pain as it was CPO. Would play again
Eagle's Pointe Golf Club, Crescent Point Golf Club: Played both of these courses the same day. Eagle was by far the worst condition of any course I played in the area. The greens were difficult at Crescent. The only drawback there is I got behind the women's club. Would play Crescent again if I ever go back.

Last edited:
I've played them all in Hilton Head when I lived in Savannah. Hilton Head National is not to difficult. Old South on the front 9 is target golf, backside is links style. I didn't like the Golden Bear, it was nice, but didn't enjoy as much as other courses. Port Royal is nice, but the Marshalls are asses, telling us to speed up play while we were on top of the group in front of us. After I explained to the guy and said do you want me to hit into them? He said speed up play or you will have to leave the course.

If you call Palmetto Dunes and tell them you’d like a multi-round package, they will put something together for you. 3 courses. The Jones course can be a bear if the wind is from the north. Fazio and Hills are fair tests and not overly penal.

There is a cool little beach bar called Coco's just to the left of the hole that has the ocean behind the green. Maybe a quick drink if its open this time of year.

Looks like I will be heading up to HHI the 1st weekend in April to visit with family. I am hoping to get in a round with my brother, his son and my nephew (my deceased brother's son) as it has been over 2 years since I have played with any of them. The rates are pretty high in comparrison to that last time I was on the island, but I understand it is the peak season. I am looking at Hilton Head National or perhaps Old South due to the price and those appearing to be less punishing. My nephew rarely plays so he is even less adapt at finding the fairway than I am. He mainyly wants to play just to spend time with his uncles and cousin. Has anyone played either HH National or Old South in the recent past? I wish I could swing one of the Sea Pines courses, but the available times are going quick and they are obviously the most expensive on the island.

Back