Courses in Hilton Head Island

This is cool timing, looks like i'm scheduling a family beach/golf vacation in August to HHI. Looking forward to trying to play a few new course down there. I'm currently Club Corp member so that gets me some access down there which I plan to capitalize, but debating if the $$$ is worth playing Harbor Town.

Looks like I will be heading up to HHI the 1st weekend in April to visit with family. I am hoping to get in a round with my brother, his son and my nephew (my deceased brother's son) as it has been over 2 years since I have played with any of them. The rates are pretty high in comparrison to that last time I was on the island, but I understand it is the peak season. I am looking at Hilton Head National or perhaps Old South due to the price and those appearing to be less punishing. My nephew rarely plays so he is even less adapt at finding the fairway than I am. He mainyly wants to play just to spend time with his uncles and cousin. Has anyone played either HH National or Old South in the recent past? I wish I could swing one of the Sea Pines courses, but the available times are going quick and they are obviously the most expensive on the island.

Went down a couple weeks ago. I'm a 20+ handicap.
Hilton Head National, Old South, Dolphin Head are the courses you want to play at for an "easier" time.
HHN is probably the best value (they have the fancy GPS carts) and best conditions. Old South nearby is pretty good too. Dolphin Head was not in great condition, but it's on the island. HHN/Old South are 20 minutes off the island in Bluffton.

Overall I had an enjoyable time. A lot of the locals tend to play very fast, but as long as you're staying reasonably on pace I don't think anyone will say anything.

Went down a couple weeks ago. I'm a 20+ handicap.
Hilton Head National, Old South, Dolphin Head are the courses you want to play at for an "easier" time.
HHN is probably the best value (they have the fancy GPS carts) and best conditions. Old South nearby is pretty good too. Dolphin Head was not in great condition, but it's on the island. HHN/Old South are 20 minutes off the island in Bluffton.

Overall I had an enjoyable time. A lot of the locals tend to play very fast, but as long as you're staying reasonably on pace I don't think anyone will say anything.

Thanks for the input. We tend to move along pretty well despite being a bunch of hacks. LOL One of my nephews is actullay a pretty good stick. He hits the ball a country mile. The other nephew sprays, but "hits and gets" as I like to call it.

This is cool timing, looks like i'm scheduling a family beach/golf vacation in August to HHI. Looking forward to trying to play a few new course down there. I'm currently Club Corp member so that gets me some access down there which I plan to capitalize, but debating if the $$$ is worth playing Harbor Town.
This was my plan too but I just cancelled my Club Corp so I'll be searching around for options. Definitely planning to play Harbour Town while I'm there.

Will be on HHI April 19-23. Playing Old South, HH Natl, Oyster Reef and Arthur Hills. Going with wife, who can drive the ball well, but after that, will more than likely just pick up and drop on the green.

Was just down last week and played CCHH, Oldfield, Wexford, Crescent Pointe and Harbour Town. Avoid Crescent Pointe as it is in horrible shape. Harbour Town got to play with member of Sea Pines so 1/2 price and no need for caddie.....Wexford very under rated. Fabulous course. Had great weather. Was great time.

Back from our Hilton Head trip. The courses we played, Palmetto Hall Arthur Hills was the worst. Conditions not great, rude staff, typical golf course in a neighborhood. Oyster Reef wasn't bad. Old South Golf Links was fun, pretty good conditions. The winner however, was Hilton Head National. Fantastic conditions, great pace of play, fun. Great trip.

Bumping this year old conversation.

Looks like we will be back in the HHI area again Easter weekend and I want to try to get in a round of golf on Saturday morning the 16th.

Right now I am planning to play in Bluffton, but would be open to something on the island itself. I have played Palmetto Dunes, Hilton Head National and the Golden Bear Course at Indigo run. I really want to play somewhere different from those if possible. Of course I would love to play Harbor Town, but that's probably going to be higher than my budget will allo even if I can get a tee time. Haig Point would be amazing, but I don't see how I can get on there. So I am open to suggestions if anyone is going to be there at the same time and wants to play a round with me. I would love to tee it up with a fellow THPer.

Looks like we will be back in the HHI area again Easter weekend and I want to try to get in a round of golf on Saturday morning the 16th.

Right now I am planning to play in Bluffton, but would be open to something on the island itself. I have played Palmetto Dunes, Hilton Head National and the Golden Bear Course at Indigo run. I really want to play somewhere different from those if possible. Of course I would love to play Harbor Town, but that's probably going to be higher than my budget will allo even if I can get a tee time. Haig Point would be amazing, but I don't see how I can get on there. So I am open to suggestions if anyone is going to be there at the same time and wants to play a round with me. I would love to tee it up with a fellow THPer.

I think Easter weekend is the Harbour Town PGA tournament this year. Never been to the island during that, but may make golf rates anywhere close kind of crazy.

I go to Hilton Head often and I play Shipyard, Port Royal-Barony (Easiest), Dolphin Head, and Oyster Reef. Hilton Head National is on the expensive side. I have heard that Palmetto Dunes has a couple of nice courses as well. You cannot go wrong on the island.

I will be there in mid March. The week after St. Patrick's Day. If you are interested in some challenge, you need to play Port Royal -Robber's Row Course. Tight with interesting holes.

Last edited:

Oyster Reed on the north side of the island was nice a few years ago, price has gone up some.

Dolphin Head is a nice course and on the easier side.

Ocean Course and Heron Point in Sea Pines are cheaper than Harbour Town and I thought they were outstanding when I played them.

Old South is another off island course that's nice

Was there 2 weeks ago. Very disappointed in Robbers Row. Both Heron Point and Atlantic Dunes were marvelous, but $$$.

Oyster Reed on the north side of the island was nice a few years ago, price has gone up some.

Dolphin Head is a nice course and on the easier side.

Ocean Course and Heron Point in Sea Pines are cheaper than Harbour Town and I thought they were outstanding when I played them.

Old South is another off island course that's nice
Ocean course is now renamed Atlantic Dunes, I forgot

I played Bear Creek back in October. That was a fun course. Challenging but not overwhelming. If you can get onto Country Club of Hilton Head, do it! Beautiful course and pretty challenging but it was awesome.

Old South Golf Links was solid in December. Some cool marsh views on the back.

Old South Golf Links was solid in December. Some cool marsh views on the back.
My favorite course in HH, beside Harbour Town

Headed to HHI this week, which is better for a casual 9 holes with the family, Dolphin Head or Bear Creek?

I echo Old South, fun course and not too difficult. If you want to drive 45 minutes and do the advance registration to get on, try the course on Paris Island Marine Base. It is pretty open and when you are done take in the Marine Museum on the base.

We played Dolphin Head thanks. Very playable. Good value.
That's one of my favorite "on island" courses because it is one of the cheaper tracks and is generally in decent shape. Golden Bear is another favorite of mine but you've got to time it right to get a good deal playing there.

The Palmetto Dunes and Sea Pines courses are the best in my opinion, but they know it and charge for it

That's one of my favorite "on island" courses because it is one of the cheaper tracks and is generally in decent shape. Golden Bear is another favorite of mine but you've got to time it right to get a good deal playing there.

The Palmetto Dunes and Sea Pines courses are the best in my opinion, but they know it and charge for it
Today were playing Rose Hill. It is 30 dollars riding. Looking at budget friendly courses.

Back