Courses near Jersey City

BuffaloPlunger

Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
My girlfriend and I are planning on attending The Northern Trust in August. We’re going to be getting there a little early so we wanted to play a round before going to the tournament. Originally we thought Beth Page but it’s a little far and I’d like to do a separate Long Island trip. Any recommendations for course near Jersey City?

I think the only public courses close to JC are Skyway, Weequahic and Galloping Hill, rest are private (the likes of Liberty National, Bayonne, etc.)

I think the only public courses close to JC are Skyway, Weequahic and Galloping Hill, rest are private (the likes of Liberty National, Bayonne, etc.)
Are any of those worth visiting?

I haven't played Galloping Hill in maybe 25 years, but I remember it as a decent layout. I also understand they have put a fair amount of work into the place.

If I were in the area and wanted to play, I would certainly go there. Would I consider it as a destination like Bethpage Black? No.

I haven't played Galloping Hill in maybe 25 years, but I remember it as a decent layout. I also understand they have put a fair amount of work into the place.

If I were in the area and wanted to play, I would certainly go there. Would I consider it as a destination like Bethpage Black? No.
I googled Galloping Hill and from the limited photos it looked like a pretty decent track! Skyway also seemed very interesting as well!

Are any of those worth visiting?
Skyway is an interesting track, only 9 holes but you can play it twice for 18. Course was in good shape last time I played there,m.

Galloping hill is good, been a few years since I've been there. There's hyatt hills by Clark, and Hendricks field is pretty good course too

Weequahic is public but I've never been there

If you are going to have a car. I would look into Neshanic Golf Course. Its about 45 minutes from JC but always in phenomenal shape for a county course. It has 3 nine hole sets that they rotate play throughout the day on.

Rock Spring in West Orange was private and the county took it over last year....It is fabulous. Slam Dunk go there....Home - Rock Spring Golf

If you have a car I would go north into Southern NY and play Patriot Hills. Right off the Palisades Parkway...very nice course that is not too far from Jersey City.

I think this one just made the list! So far it’s looking like Rock Spring and Skyway
So I have had pleasure to play both Bayonne and Liberty National. And Liberty National last day you could play prior to PGA Tour descending on it. Truth be told Bayonne a better course. But both are spectacular. Good days with my son who lives in area.

So I have had pleasure to play both Bayonne and Liberty National. And Liberty National last day you could play prior to PGA Tour descending on it. Truth be told Bayonne a better course. But both are spectacular. Good days with my son who lives in area.
Wait, you played the last day before descending on it or it’s possible to get a tee time the day before?

Wait, you played the last day before descending on it or it’s possible to get a tee time the day before?
Last day play was allowed as course was being shut down. Very private. Very exclusive. My son and I are raters.

Yeah, I have a few friends who were/are members of Bayonne and have played Liberty National and all say they prefer Bayonne.
If you’re into golf course architecture then Rock Spring is definitely worth a look as it’s one of the few(only?) Seth Raynor courses in the area, but no driving range if that’s a factor.
Galloping Hill is also a decent option and has a solid practice area.
Weequahic is a fun, quirky but short course in Newark, but wouldn’t bother with GH being right down the road.
Otherwise, Neshanic Valley would be the best course that is less than 1hr drive from JC if you’re willing to make the 45min drive.

Yeah, I have a few friends who were/are members of Bayonne and have played Liberty National and all say they prefer Bayonne.
If you’re into golf course architecture then Rock Spring is definitely worth a look as it’s one of the few(only?) Seth Raynor courses in the area, but no driving range if that’s a factor.
Galloping Hill is also a decent option and has a solid practice area.
Weequahic is a fun, quirky but short course in Newark, but wouldn’t bother with GH being right down the road.
Otherwise, Neshanic Valley would be the best course that is less than 1hr drive from JC if you’re willing to make the 45min drive.
Probably unlikely I’ll find a way into Bayonne but Rock Spring is definitely on the list!

Back