Covid golf positives

Youth sports were shut down from March into June. Golf courses in Oregon were still open. I had about 2.5 months of playing more golf than I had played in a long long time.

With far less traffic, courses have been in fantastic shape.

It might sound odd but my home course has been packed with people since golf was one of the few outdoor activities you could do. Pace of play is longer which is an issue to some of my buddies but I like seeing everyone out there enjoying each others company, there are groups of all different ages, genders, skill levels out there having a good time. My course is an easily walkable 9 hole which makes it good for parents and kids to go out and have some fun but what I love the most is the groups of (this is going to sound bad) older ladies out there playing with each other or even a few times I saw with what I assume to be their grandchildren.

Everyone for the most part is practicing social distancing and wearing face coverings when they are near the common areas.

Also my course canceled all sanctioned events this year except for the club championships but some members stepped up and started their own year long tournament. Instead of doing shotguns every few weekends they set it up so you can play whenever you want over the weekend and they even help partner everyone up if needed. They have done 2 person scramble, ABCD scramble, 2 man better ball, Red/White/Blue, stableford, Jack and Jill, shamble. I gotta say that I like the way they are doing things expect for I do miss not having the breakfasts/lunches and after parties for events like we have had in past years.

With far less traffic, courses have been in fantastic shape.
My local course isn't seeing a reduction in rounds the manager said they have been as busy if not busier on week days.
I think with so many people out of work it's filling their tee sheets.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

The single rider to a cart is nice. That is about all that is left but only for members and only the first few groups that get the carts back in three hours or less, well before they are needed due to the crowds.

Tee times that were extended have now gone back to the standard 7/8 minute intervals. Pace of play doesn't affect me as we have the 2nd tee time weekdays but we are seeing it slow for others. The group behind us Thursday had two walkers and we were sitting have a beer or two when they finished a good hour after us. We are seeing more walkers as some still are concerned about riding two to a cart - which is tough on pace of play being a course that winds its way through housing developments. Rakes have been brought back out meaning no excuse for not playing from bunkers for those who were so inclined. The driving range is more crowded than ever, not that it wasn't during the height of the COVID precautions.

Talked to the GM Friday. He is getting requests for outings starting in October. He has declined as he doesn't need the revenue and also feels that is optimistic given the current COVID rise in cases. Maybe for March he said he'd consider outings.

Hmmm, single carts faster? Maybe if you get 4 strangers. I did a lot of walking and pairing up with 3’s who were ‘together’ at least 3 times. It was business as usual, except that the carts would go to a ball, wait for that guy, then the 3 carts go to the next, etc... maybe because I was solo and walking, they wanted to stick together.

Pre-Covid I played a lot of tournaments (24-60 players). Post Covid, only played a couple tournaments. Now playing mostly small groups (2-somes or 3-somes), and no tournaments. I enjoy the Tournament competition, but have also come to love the quiet, no stress rounds (kinda like the lazy golfer thread).

2 positive takeaways: golf is one of the safest things you can do during Covid and our home course is setting record play numbers which should help with the finances.

My game has grown and I have gotten soooo much better! More rounds more walking and most importantly more practice and analyzing swings because limited activities

I do like the spread out tee times and ability to walk or ride now. I wish the weather here would cooperate a bit more - too much rain to do much

3 balls in competitions - really has sped up the round🏌️‍♂️

Everybody having to leave the pin in. The naysayers now can’t argue 🤣

I don't like anything much about it - courses are crowded, some don't let you use practice area or only 30 minutes before tee tme; no emergency water, don't see a cart girl half the time, restaurants - I am uncomfortable in them other than "to go" - I DO like the noodle at the bottom of the cup - don't need to bend down as much to get the ball.

I stuff my bag with 2 quarts of water and energy bars.

But at least we are playing -- that is a big positive.

Back