Covid golf positives

Flipit

Aka- ApexFan
Reaction score
Handicap
So in a time where there have not been a lot of positive vibes, what is something positive you have discovered that you may not have otherwise?

For me it’s pretty simple. I’ve really grown to love walking the course rather then using a riding cart. Not saying there is not a time and place for it. I enjoy the pace. I enjoy the conversation walking from shot to shot. I even enjoy finishing a round and feeling like I got enough play for the day.

For a while there my semi-private club closed off to the public completely.

Loooooved that.
Can’t blame ya. My home course is finally slowing down a bit and it’s nice to have feet people around.

Things I have loved:
1. single carts: it seems to already be ending around PHX, but the rounds were faster and it was almost like walking without actually doing it. The courses here and summer temps are not conducive to walking.
2. I like the contraptions in the hole that lets you reach inside and grab your ball without the ball being halfway to China. I feel like the holes aren’t getting chewed up as bad as before. When the pin is left in and the ball goes to the bottom of the hole, there is some wrangling around the hole edges to get the ball out
3. In AZ, you can’t remove the pin. I think it has woken up a lot of people that previously had to have the pin out. I still would prefer the pin out on putts less than 6’, but I have gotten more used to it.
4. the courses in AZ were PACKED March-May. I think a lot of people remembered that they loved the game during COVID.

Things I have loved:
1. single carts: it seems to already be ending around PHX, but the rounds were faster and it was almost like walking without actually doing it. The courses here and summer temps are not conducive to walking.
2. I like the contraptions in the hole that lets you reach inside and grab your ball without the ball being halfway to China. I feel like the holes aren’t getting chewed up as bad as before. When the pin is left in and the ball goes to the bottom of the hole, there is some wrangling around the hole edges to get the ball out
3. In AZ, you can’t remove the pin. I think it has woken up a lot of people that previously had to have the pin out. I still would prefer the pin out on putts less than 6’, but I have gotten more used to it.
4. the courses in AZ were PACKED March-May. I think a lot of people remembered that they loved the game during COVID.
I hadn’t even thought about the pins staying in. It seems to have also helped the pace of play a bit.

People on and off the golf course are much more approachable and eager to socialize with others (protests and riots excepted). We're enjoying the company of others more. We've gotten to know neighbors we hadn't been able to connect with pre-COVID-19.

If you want to escape for a little bit, the course is it. People seem relaxed and normal versus going to the grocery store where you'd think the world was ending some days. I even forgot and shook someone's hand today and didn't run for purell. Shhhhhh....... :eek::ROFLMAO:

For me, it's absolutely rediscovering the love of the game. I have been less worried about bad shots and more taking time to look at the surroundings and enjoy the fresh air and exercise.

I kinda like the one person to a cart rule. I can just ride to my ball, get out, and hit it again. No more chasing two different golf shots.

I'm also beginning to like the inserts in the cups. I'm seeing less spike damage in the area around the cups. I see a lot of golfers raking their ball out of the way of others. Then picking it up with their putter head.

Before it got really hot here I enjoyed the walking.

I like the stretched out tee time intervals. It seemed to bring back a sliver of serenity/relaxation to a game that like everything else in life had become a big conveyor belt moving at warp speed.

Initially I didn't care at all for the inserts in the cups, and hated not being able to remove the pin. I've warmed up to the inserts (we figured out we could push them down to expose 2" of cup) but can't wait for the day the pin comes out. Until then I manage.

Since travel has been heavily restricted all golf vacations this year were scrapped which forced me to spend my money on clubs which was something I had put off for several years. Time will tell if that was the right decision or not, but I am hopeful.

Pace of play has been faster with solo carts and more people walking. I bet the flag stick rule helps too. And I don’t mean a little bit faster - I mean like 15 minutes or more.

golf wise, a lot of time to practice on the range and putting/chipping green. i needed it more than ever really..

golf wise, a lot of time to practice on the range and putting/chipping green. i needed it more than ever really..
So this is quite different than where I am. Do you mean there was a time when you were sheltered in place or not working when the range and putting/chipping greens were open for practice? Here they locked down everything and when 'golf' returned they've still kept all the putting/chipping/bunker practice areas closed. It still is that way.

With far less traffic, courses have been in fantastic shape.

People on and off the golf course are much more approachable and eager to socialize with others (protests and riots excepted). We're enjoying the company of others more. We've gotten to know neighbors we hadn't been able to connect with pre-COVID-19.

👮‍♀️ !!!

I hate to call it on ya, but I’ve gotta slap you with a 14 day quarantine for that.... ;)

There’s been not much positive that I can think of otherwise. I listen to employees and customers griping all day about having to wear masks. Working more, golfing less. Bleck!!

There’s to be no socializing right now! Lol

The guy that gave a handshake? Yup 21 day quarantine (only if ya’lls work pays for it on the quarantine). Then you can quote me as a government official as I was a commissioner once. Then spend the next 2-3 weeks golfing. That’s a plan!

Last edited:
With far less traffic, courses have been in fantastic shape.
Mmm. The courses here really benefited from the shutdown and recovered. But where I am tee sheets are full several days out. So, except for the extra spacing between tee times and mandate to close the pro shop at 6:30 pm, we're seeing all the traffic a course can handle. More newbies too. That's good for the game...not so good for the course.

I really don't know how different it is here.
I can only get out the odd Friday morning, and the course would be empty those days anyways.
Flagstick in is definitely a change, as is using the mechanism to lift the ball out of the hole.

Mmm. The courses here really benefited from the shutdown and recovered. But where I am tee sheets are full several days out. So, except for the extra spacing between tee times and mandate to close the pro shop at 6:30 pm, we're seeing all the traffic a course can handle. More newbies too. That's good for the game...not so good for the course.
Ours was busy like that for a couple months. The past two weeks it seems to be lightening up. That said the course has taken a beating and one bad thing is no sand bottles. The course will be closed 2 days this week for maintenance

Sports has always been a big part of my life. I played them. Watched them on TV. Attended games. Followed NFL, MLB and NBA. Then covid and sports were all on hold. My home course did close for about 3 weeks. But then reopened. And has been open since. Golf has been my outlet without sports to follow. Gave me something to look forward to. I think I woulda gone stir crazy without it.

I really like the 12 minute interval at my course between tee times, and no walk-ons. Seems perfect, rarely gets backed up, nobody riding your a$5.
We could lower it all the way to 8 minutes, but seem to have better flow, and golfer enjoyment.
I'm on the golf board, and even with Covid, and spaced out tee times we are looking at having a record year for green fees.

Back