Status
Not open for further replies.
I guess I don't understand the lack of concern for society and for others. This virus will not diminish to the point where we can get our lives and economy back without widespread use of the vaccines....and I'm still waiting to hear what people are afraid of specifically. Change your DNA? What does that even mean and what does that cause and where and when has it ever happened?

I'm a CT teacher and hoping that we get approved asap.

Just to clarify a bit here on DNA and RNA because I actually studied generics in college. My teacher tried to make me quit because I was not in medical school and she said I would fail. I made the best grade in the class. That was because it was an interest of mine and not just a pre req for my degree. This has been very useful knowledge over the last year whereas the rest of my life it was useless :p.

DNA is a double helix RNA is a single helix of genetic material. You can see this in the image below. Both are made of 4 molecules the A (Aenina), the G (Guanina), the C (Citosina), and the T (Timina). A is always across from T and G is always across from C in the DNA double helix.

When a cell splits what happens is the Rhibosome takes DNA in on one side, splits the double helix then takes RNA floating in the cell to match those pairs back onto the now split DNA and makes the 1 DNA into 2 identical DNA strands. So yes RNA does go into DNA but RNA cannot insert itself into this process in a different order than it was before as the whole process is powered by chemical bonds and the A only binds with T and C only binds with G.

What causes DNA to change are other chemicals like heavy metals we might breathe or eat and things like sunlight. UV rays actually can blast holes in DNA strands shortening them and cutting them in half so when this process takes place what is created is no longer a cell that functions as the tissue it is supposed to be. When this process happens we call it cancer.

As for taking in RNA well you don't need this vaccine to do that. We consume RNA and DNA all the time. It's in every living we eat which is everything we eat. That is where the spare RNA that is floating around in our cells for them to split comes from. It's why we have to eat and it's why we literally are what we eat.

A virus is actually rogue DNA set loose in our systems. A virus is a protein package with spikes that bond to our cells and insert a DNA packet into them. The virus then hijacks our ribosome and starts producing that DNA instead of our own DNA. Eventually the cell bursts when it is full of the virus and releases many more viruses into our system. Our immune system eventually comes up with antibodies which bind to the spikes preventing them from attaching to cells. This is the process of getting sick and then getting well. The virus overwhelms our system and then our system turns the tide and overwhelms the virus.

It's also why the amount of the virus you intake when you're infected can drastically change the symptoms. You take in a lot you will get very sick because your immune system take much longer to overwhelm the virus. If you only take in a bit your immune system can match the output and you will only get a little sick.

What the mRNA vaccines do is insert mRNA into our system which will act like a virus and take over our cells to produce only the outside spikes of the coronavirus protein pack. This triggers your immune system to make the binders that will bind to thos spikes in case you are infected with an actual coronavirus.

I know this is complicated but it is molecular biology so it's supposed to be hard. I also am not trying to persuade anyone to take a vaccine or not. I do know there is a lot of fear and a lot of misinformation though and this is actually something I know a little bit about. My knowledge here is quite high level and out of the weeds so I can't answer much more but this is a decent start for those curious.

diferenca-entre-rna-dna.jpg

The Johnson and Johnson is not MRNA either it's a more traditional vaccine.
Weakened/live virus you nean? Ill be doing my research today, and figure i have some time since the schedule at my hospital is booked out for many weeks

Weakened/live virus you nean? Ill be doing my research today, and figure i have some time since the schedule at my hospital is booked out for many weeks
It is a non-effective adenovirus (another respiratory virus) with the spikes on the protein altered to match the spikes on the Covid 19 protein packet. Thus the immune response to it will create antibodies that will attach to Covid 19 also.

More info on mRNA in the article below for those who want it. I explain it in layman’s term as best as I can after having a conversation with my first cousin who is the most brilliant MD I know and currently the chair of the anesthesiology department at Stanford. Messenger RNA does it’s work in the cytoplasm and can’t enter the nucleus of a cell where the DNA resides, therefore it can’t alter our DNA. Some viruses like HIV and HPV can enter the nucleus(they carry special enzymes to do so) and alter DNA but thankfully coronaviruses can’t. MRNA also breaks down very quickly, about 72 hours once it enters the body which is why the storage temps are so low and important for this type of vaccine.

My hope now is we have a large enough percent of the population that is willing to take the vaccine to achieve herd immunity hopefully, by August.

Last edited:
I was offered but turned it down, two things keep me from taking it...

No long term effect studies (obviously, since it’s two month old.)

No studies show it actually keeps you from getting or transmitting the virus. (If I still have to wear a mask and social distance, what’s the point?)

If I was 70 or over I’d take it tomorrow since I wouldn’t care about long term effects. At 39 and only have orthopedic health issues..I’ll take my chances with the over 99% survival rate.

No studies show it actually keeps you from getting or transmitting the virus. (If I still have to wear a mask and social distance, what’s the point?)

I've heard this a lot. I think this has been the biggest mistake in the roll out. Say you can drop the mask after vaccination and you get 90+% compliance vs the 50-60 or whatever % it is now.
of course there aren't studies proving those things because it's so new. But there's no reason to think it won't work.
Masks continue to be more virtue signaling than effective prevention. The vaccine could be the opposite but it has not been presented well, and you still have to wear a mask to show you really really care.

I was offered but turned it down, two things keep me from taking it...

No long term effect studies (obviously, since it’s two month old.)

If I was 70 or over I’d take it tomorrow since I wouldn’t care about long term effects. At 39 and only have orthopedic health issues..I’ll take my chances with the over 99% survival rate.

That’s where I fit as well. I’ll be 40 tomorrow & in good health. I view It the same as the flu shot, which I don’t get either. If I’m required I will but I’m a long way down the list.

This coming from Captain Caution?

I’d advise a little more caution, but FNA. If you wanna bathe in it be my guest. It’s a marvel of modern science....

So long as it’s a marvel of modern science. Just be advised that it may or may not turn out to be.

As of last night I was in possession of 2400 doses. Not a one of them are going in my body until I see some results.

I’ve apoke with a lot of experts and the fact that this is the first ever RNA vaccine is cause for some concern. Irregardless of what you may hear about it anything RNA has a chance to change our DNA.

So as someone with basically unchecked access to the vaccine, I will NOT be taking it. Plus I’m not scared of the virus despite 50% lung capacity and just getting over 20 months on Nuclear Medicine. I’ll take my damn chances being reasonably safe versus taking a vaccine that can at minimum make me feel like crap. At maximum it can make us less than human. Yes I realize that the fact sheet they put out says this won’t happen. But RNA attaches to DNA and can invade in the wrong circumstances. We’re a year into this BS. Do we still know a damn thing about it? Nope.

But a damn good way to control everyone would be to change their DNA. Rant off, but I’d strongly urge anyone to look into RNA and what it CAN do before getting it. If you still want it, go for it. I will put nothing in my body that has any possibilities of changing my DNA.

I was born a human, I will die a human.

If I wanna feel like crap I’ll just catch the real ‘rona and have basically the same antibodies.

So I’ll wait for the non-RNA version that doesn’t make you sick (possibly) before I entertain the thought further. I’ve discussed at length via PM with a few folks. This is all I’ll say in the public domain here about it. As always I invite further discussion on it via PM if you disagree with me. And it’s just that, discussion. Be reasonable and I’ll consider your points before I ultimately tell you you’re wrong, 😂.

I doubt anyone that’s PM’d me ever to discuss something has walked away from that hating me. I’m not as dumb as I look. I’d call @Hamfist to back that up but he’d probably disagree.
Im with you. Its so funny hearing the radio commercials about the vaccine and how they say its been rigorously tested. How in the world could this of been tested so rigorously in such a short amount of time and what is/could happen long term, no one knows. I too will not be getting this ingected into me nor will I ever get a flu shot.

Heading in to get my first round this afternoon

I got my first dose of the moderna vaccine last week with no issues. My parents both got it this week. Only recommendation is that if you sleep on one side you get the shot in the other arm, I had one restless night with the soreness on my sleeping side.

i have a lot of coworkers that signed up for the trials months ago and none have had any side effects. They all continue to show a strong antibody response months later now.

You know what's been rigorously tested? Covid.
Speaking to my brother in law whose a nurse that has had his shots. I was speaking to him about it and he told me about a conversation he had with one of the Dr’s. He said pretty much the same thing, we don’t know the long term effects of the vaccine, but we do about Covid. I understand some people’s reluctance though. I was in the fence, until I started knowing people around me who started dropping with it. I’m pretty sure if I ever want to go home and visit, I’ll be required to have the vaccine anyway. I can’t imagine you will be able to fly anyway without proof of vaccine, for a few years at least.

A few points in regards to comments in this thread.

First - it's important to note that while this is the first mRNA vaccine that's being deployed widely, it is not the first mRNA vaccine that's gone through clinical trials. There's been more safety data on the platform than just these two (Moderna, Pfizer) vaccines.

Second - I think it's safe to say that we expect that the vaccine will prevent transmission. However, because we've just started rolling out the vaccine, there's not enough data on that then. That'll come as more people get vaccinated. That's why the companies aren't able to say definitively it doesn't prevent transmission - they can't, since that hasn't been an endpoint in a trial.

Finally - As for masks being "virtue signaling" more than protection, that's patently false. Studies have shown even a double-layer cloth mask, which is quite easy to come by these days, reduces the amount of droplets/virus expelled by the wearer. Surgical masks and n95 provide more.

Finally - As for masks being "virtue signaling" more than protection, that's patently false. Studies have shown even a double-layer cloth mask, which is quite easy to come by these days, reduces the amount of droplets/virus expelled by the wearer. Surgical masks and n95 provide more.

*when used correctly. I don't disagree that masks are helpful in theory and in controlled environments.

(also ignoring the waning data about asymptomatic spread.)

I received my first shot earlier in the week. I was on the fence just like some of you guys, but I don't think this vaccine was quite as rushed as people think.

They've been studying viruses similar to COVID for many many years - I feel like they knew some of what had to go in the vaccine ahead of time and honestly in the end I trust science. It's done a lot of things that have made life better for us.

Just my opinion. I hope a lot of people take it just so I can go back out to doing the things I love w/o a mask, but time will tell.

No matter your opinion or choice I just ask that everyone do research from both sides and make the decision that feel most comfortable with.

I got my first shot of the Moderna vaccine yesterday afternoon. So far sore arm. I got it because I want to go see my Mom who is 93, and don't feel comfortable traveling 8 hours in a plane both ways.

One of my co-workers, who is 65 and has a bunch of health problems in his past, is going to try and get his 1st shot today. We live out in the middle of KS, but in a decent sized community (for our area) of around 15,000 in town and 26,000 in the county. BUT....they have 300 vaccine's available today. So, my co-worker is going to get in line at noon (it's a drive thru), and they are going to start giving the shots at 4pm. How crazy is that?

My mom is 76 and is getting her first dose today sometime, I'm pretty sure it will be April or later before I'll be anywhere near the line to get it.

Im with you. Its so funny hearing the radio commercials about the vaccine and how they say its been rigorously tested. How in the world could this of been tested so rigorously in such a short amount of time and what is/could happen long term, no one knows. I too will not be getting this ingected into me nor will I ever get a flu shot.
It was rigorously tested because the spread of infection in the population was high enough in a short period of time to get acceptable data on the vaccines' effectiveness.

I too understand some reluctance but the fact is, if nobody agreed to take it, we would forever have stifling levels of Covid. I feel a responsibility to each of you. Even if you're young and healthy, by taking the vaccine, you will no longer be a walking petri dish. I understand that initially and individually a vaccinated person can still spread it but once its occurrence falls off dramatically, all oars in the water will beat this thing.

I've heard this a lot. I think this has been the biggest mistake in the roll out. Say you can drop the mask after vaccination and you get 90+% compliance vs the 50-60 or whatever % it is now.
of course there aren't studies proving those things because it's so new. But there's no reason to think it won't work.
Masks continue to be more virtue signaling than effective prevention. The vaccine could be the opposite but it has not been presented well, and you still have to wear a mask to show you really really care.

I agree that there is a lot of vaccine fear and the media and government could do a better job of educating the public.

IMO your dead on about masks being little more than virtue signaling. I worked for 3M and sold, fitted test, and trained people on proper respirator use for over two decades which gives me a better than average understanding of the different types of respirators and how well they protect, I wear a surgical mask(not a respirator and offers almost zero protection for the wearer) as a courtesy when I'm in a store or entering a restaurant and a N95 respirator when on a plane. I wore a P100 respirator once on a plane last May but the flight attendant told me to reomove it becasue I was scaring the passengers, lol.

Let's hope by July we have 230+ million of us in the U.S. vaccinated.

The masks, social distancing and hygiene practices must have some preventative results. It seems like no one is getting the flu this flu season. Coincidence? Who knows. Flu vaccine plus the above practices seem to have stemmed the incidences of flu cases.

Everyone in my family will be eligible before I am. My wife and parents on the list waiting to be notified on an appt. My BIL just received his first as a teacher and reported no symptoms.

Edit: I will be getting it when I'm eligible which will be Phase 1c here in IL.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back