Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm 2 weeks in from my first Moderna shot. Felt like I got hit by a train. Brief fever and chills, extremely fatigued, and worst hangover without the fun the night before. I was one of the first cases before we knew what COVID was, most sick I've ever been, and I do not want it again, so I am all for getting the vaccine, even with rough side effects for a couple days. Dose 2 in 2 weeks.
My aunt told my mom that she would not get the vaccine because she thought it was the mark of the beast o_O...

...then she got Covid and had a similar experience to you. She was down and out for 16 days and 7 or 8 were just bedridden feeling like she was going to die. After that she said she would get the vaccine as soon as possible to avoid ever feeling like that again 😂

I read yesterday that J&J is ramping up production already in anticipation of FDA approval in the next week or two. The will produce 100,000,000 doses by April with much of that slated for the U.S. Astra Zeneca is next so we should have a big improvement in doses available in another month or so. Maybe even a healthy 55 year old like me can get a shot by the end of March.😁

I read yesterday that J&J is ramping up production already in anticipation of FDA approval in the next week or two. The will produce 100,000,000 doses by April with much of that slated for the U.S. Astra Zeneca is next so we should have a big improvement in doses available in another month or so. Maybe even a healthy 55 year old like me can get a shot by the end of March.😁

I am hoping at 40 to get one in April. I have a weird feeling when people say they aren't getting it. I kind of want to talk them into it, but then I selfishly also think hey, that's one less person in line in front of me don't bother.

I am hoping at 40 to get one in April. I have a weird feeling when people say they aren't getting it. I kind of want to talk them into it, but then I selfishly also think hey, that's one less person in line in front of me don't bother.

Yep, same with me. I have a relative who won’t even allow her two young boys receive regular childhood vaccinations but she lives in Marin County California where a big chunk of the population shares her opinion on vaccines. #Darwinism😊

These vaccines are not "FDA Approved", just "approved" for emergency use. They have not gone through the long term testing normally associated with vaccines. I hesitate to take something that has had only months of testing, no long term results, good or bad, to report. I also take issue taking something so highly promoted by the same people who debunked the use of hydroxychloroquine that has a 70 year tack record of safety and positive past results addressing similar viruses! I choose to wait for now on the vaccine until and unless I can get the J&J shot.

On the arm soreness, two guys I golf with could not raise their arms the day after their shots much less try to play golf.

One of the biggest problems I have with the vaccine is Fauci, wouldn't buy a used car from him. Don't trust anything he says.

One of the biggest problems I have with the vaccine is Fauci, wouldn't buy a used car from him. Don't trust anything he says.

My favorite advice from Fauci was last March when he recommended the public not wear any sort of mask or respirator. Imo he won’t share his true beliefs because he thinks we are too stupid to handle it.

I will get the vaccine when I can but certainly not because of Fauci.

These vaccines are not "FDA Approved", just "approved" for emergency use. They have not gone through the long term testing normally associated with vaccines. I hesitate to take something that has had only months of testing, no long term results, good or bad, to report. I also take issue taking something so highly promoted by the same people who debunked the use of hydroxychloroquine that has a 70 year tack record of safety and positive past results addressing similar viruses! I choose to wait for now on the vaccine until and unless I can get the J&J shot.

On the arm soreness, two guys I golf with could not raise their arms the day after their shots much less try to play golf.
Interesting because we are in an actual emergency.

Also, when you say debunked, do you mean the blinded randomized control study that was performed this year that showed no benefit to using hydroxychloroquine for treatment of Covid-19?

I will get the vaccine as soon as I am able to. If others choose not to get it, that is their choice. I’m not going to try to talk them into it.

Being in my late 50s and healthy, I’m going to have to wait here in NY for a shot. I have no idea as to the time table here. Currently, they have expanded it to those you are 65 or older.

Also, when you say debunked, do you mean the blinded randomized control study that was performed this year that showed no benefit to using hydroxychloroquine for treatment of Covid-19?

And I believe showed an increase in mortality with HCL use in the VA study.

Given the ease of access to healthcare in my state I’m really dismayed at how slow e are at rolling this out. Looking forward to new vaccines being available and glad my relatives who work in healthcare have been able to get it but seems like forever until I’ll get it at this rate.

I could be mistaken, but the one study I recall showing hydroxychloroquine ineffective was when it was used with patients already in the hospital. There are other studies, peer reviewed, showing it still more effective than when not used on those same people and more effective when used early on.

Peer-reviewed study finds hydroxychloroquine effective, 'helped save lives' - Washington Times
Peer-reviewed hydroxychloroquine study finds 84% fewer hospitalizations among early treated outpatients | Politico Fire

My favorite advice from Fauci was last March when he recommended the public not wear any sort of mask or respirator. Imo he won’t share his true beliefs because he thinks we are too stupid to handle it.

I will get the vaccine when I can but certainly not because of Fauci.
To be fair to Fauci, that was the worldwide advice on a virus that had just surfaced. As more data become available, so the advice changed. I think they don’t share stuff because there is still a lot of things they simply don’t know, and that is far more concerning.

To be fair to Fauci, that was the worldwide advice on a virus that had just surfaced. As more data become available, so the advice changed. I think they don’t share stuff because there is still a lot of things they simply don’t know, and that is far more concerning.
Yeah, that is part of my issue with him though. Instead of saying this is our best guess but we really don't know. He stated everything as fact, then constantly changed.

Yeah, that is part of my issue with him though. Instead of saying this is our best guess but we really don't know. He stated everything as fact, then constantly changed.

It’s relevant to point out that at that time there was also a mass shortage of PPE. Telling everyone to mask up (in the absence of better data on the topic) at that time would have wiped out PPE for essential medical staff.
I think it is fair to say that logical thinking people take in new information and make the best decisions they can at that time. They adjust as more and better data is received. Also worth noting that the political environment wasn’t exactly 100% open to throwing everything on the table (to the detriment according to some and perhaps for assumed good intentions to others).

Given the ease of access to healthcare in my state I’m really dismayed at how slow e are at rolling this out. Looking forward to new vaccines being available and glad my relatives who work in healthcare have been able to get it but seems like forever until I’ll get it at this rate.

Not any better here in NY. I’m waiting and hoping they can develop a better distribution of the available vaccines.

I did wake up with arm soreness this morning. I am at the gym getting my blood flowing. ;)

It might be sooner than forever. Things seem to be ramping up pretty well, plus the J&J version will probably be available within the next month or so. I came across the spreadsheet linked below from a news article. I don't know who is editing it, but they seem to use data directly from the CDC. At the current rate of vaccine administration, we are estimated to reach herd immunity by July 9 (Box O20 on the sheet).

spreadsheet link

Personally, I think it will be more like sometime in May or early June. I thought the new administration's goal of 100 million doses in 100 days was unrealistic. But now it's looking like a very conservative estimate. We've been averaging over a million doses per day recently, and the rate continues to increase. Pfizer and Moderna are supposed to deliver 200 million doses by the end of March. I think J&J has promised 100 million of their single dose version after they get approved. If there are no breakdowns in production or distribution (I know those are big if's) then we should be approaching 200 million doses in 100 days.

“Arm soreness” is definitely a relative term. I don’t usually have any issues after Flu shots or other injections, but after the CV vaccine my arm was painfully sore for 2-3 days. As mentioned in an earlier post, I would have not been able to golf with my arm feeling the way it was.

It might be sooner than forever. Things seem to be ramping up pretty well, plus the J&J version will probably be available within the next month or so. I came across the spreadsheet linked below from a news article. I don't know who is editing it, but they seem to use data directly from the CDC. At the current rate of vaccine administration, we are estimated to reach herd immunity by July 9 (Box O20 on the sheet).

spreadsheet link

Personally, I think it will be more like sometime in May or early June. I thought the new administration's goal of 100 million doses in 100 days was unrealistic. But now it's looking like a very conservative estimate. We've been averaging over a million doses per day recently, and the rate continues to increase. Pfizer and Moderna are supposed to deliver 200 million doses by the end of March. I think J&J has promised 100 million of their single dose version after they get approved. If there are no breakdowns in production or distribution (I know those are big if's) then we should be approaching 200 million doses in 100 days.

I hope that you are correct. 🤞

I'm 2 weeks in from my first Moderna shot. Felt like I got hit by a train. Brief fever and chills, extremely fatigued, and worst hangover without the fun the night before. I was one of the first cases before we knew what COVID was, most sick I've ever been, and I do not want it again, so I am all for getting the vaccine, even with rough side effects for a couple days. Dose 2 in 2 weeks.
I had a similar experience to my fist dose of Moderna.. My arm was sore as hell.

I am thankful but surprised that my dad was just able to drive over to the VA and they were giving up to 3000 people the Covid Vaccine on Saturday. They said the VA has a totally different supply then the states were given. So, for all that served and over 65 that is an avenue to check out if you haven’t been able to get the vaccine via state locations.

He did say his arm was very sore after the first shot and they scheduled his second one in three weeks. But, he didn’t have any ill effects or feel any worse then the sore arm.

spreadsheet link

Honestly, you’re probably right. I’m just worn down at this point and letting pessimism get the best of me. We’re starting to see the numbers start to drop here as the folks who are in contact with a lot of people start to get their second dose, etc. And with increased federal-state cooperation (vs. essentially none) I think this will get on track quickly.

I was thinking with all the arm soreness you see, they probably wouldn't be so sore if they did not jam that needle up to the bone. Having a nurse in the family allows some understanding and she says there is no reason for them to bury those needles the way they do. They do it because they are rushing among other things.

Some have mentioned Fauci, IMO he flops like a fish out of water. Fauci always talk about science yet so much of the data is flawed in a number of ways and yet he never mentions that huge problem. As some have alluded to, what are his real thoughts on the matter?

spreadsheet link

I am thinking all of the high risk groups that want a vaccine will have one by Easter and all of the population that wants a vaccine will have one by the 4th. After that, we move on cause if you get Covid when you passed on the vaccine that's your responsibility not societies anymore IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back