Status
Not open for further replies.
69 years old here. I got my first Pfizer vaccine yesterday. Woke this morning with a slightly sore arm. No worse than any other injection. My wife got hers a week ago. She has a boatload of allergies and she had no problems. The second injection is scheduled for Feb 11th. The San Antonio area seems to have a good process in place.

I got my second round of pfizer yesterday. Feeling slightly run down today and my shoulder is sore but it just feels like I bumped into something.
8ec37587ccb9cadfbfba2e0e9885f062.jpg

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

I had the first dose of the Pfizer vaccine on Monday (cancer and a history of heart disease finally came in handy) and have my second dose scheduled.

I had some injection site soreness Monday night and Tuesday and a mild to moderate headache and some fatigue on Tuesday.

Second - I think it's safe to say that we expect that the vaccine will prevent transmission. However, because we've just started rolling out the vaccine, there's not enough data on that then. That'll come as more people get vaccinated. That's why the companies aren't able to say definitively it doesn't prevent transmission - they can't, since that hasn't been an endpoint in a trial.

Man, I hope this point is right. I've seen so many articles contradicting each other. Many saying this doesn't prevent spread (or contracting the virus), just makes the symptoms you have weaker. The past few days, I've seen a couple saying there is reason to believe it could prevent the transmission, but, nothing that clearly states this.

If it doesn't prevent transmission, then I'm like, what's the point. Well, I see the point for lessoning symptoms, but, it's still going to be spreading like crazy, and infecting those not vaccinated.

Got my first dose of Moderna a few weeks back and my arm was incredibly sore for almost 48 hours, actually kept me from sleeping on one side. Otherwise, it was easy.

I have my second dose in less than 2 weeks so hopefully that isnt as bad.

Man, I hope this point is right. I've seen so many articles contradicting each other. Many saying this doesn't prevent spread (or contracting the virus), just makes the symptoms you have weaker. The past few days, I've seen a couple saying there is reason to believe it could prevent the transmission, but, nothing that clearly states this.

If it doesn't prevent transmission, then I'm like, what's the point. Well, I see the point for lessoning symptoms, but, it's still going to be spreading like crazy, and infecting those not vaccinated.

The point is that as case numbers drop, there's less cases to cause the spread. Eventually there won't be enough hosts to keep infections at a pandemic level.

Wife got part #1 (Pfizer) a week ago, she got some flu like symptoms (which is a good sign as it shows your body is creating the antibodies) but nothing worse. We both had COVID during the Christmas break but her symptoms were nowhere near that level thankfully. When the vaccine becomes available for me I'll take it as I don't wish to get this a second time, no respiratory issues but a lot of other aches and pains and loss of smell / taste which thankfully is now back.

Yes the vaccine got fast tracked for approval but the large medical companies all had a good handle on coronaviruses in general so everyone pretty much knew which direction to go with the vaccine. As for if it prevents spread or not I think the jury is still out but seems that it should at a minimum reduce spread and hopefully prevent it. Even if it doesn't the fact that you get reduced symptoms for me would be enough to take the shot. For a majority this will show as nothing more than a flu (if even that) but there's enough cases with severe complications that I would make a risk weighed option to take the vaccine even if it has been created and released quickly.

I'm 2 weeks in from my first Moderna shot. Felt like I got hit by a train. Brief fever and chills, extremely fatigued, and worst hangover without the fun the night before. I was one of the first cases before we knew what COVID was, most sick I've ever been, and I do not want it again, so I am all for getting the vaccine, even with rough side effects for a couple days. Dose 2 in 2 weeks.

I am waiting for now! They started vaccinating this week at my work on Mon. Tues we had more than 5 people call in sick with fevers and chills.
We are getting the Moderna vaccine. My Parents got the Pfizer one and had no issues.

I am not saying I won't get it but I want to see how it goes.

My county did a great job of setting up the vaccine hub. They set up a drive thru. As you drive thru, you fill out the paper work, paper work is checked and then the vaccine was given. Then, waited 15 minutes in another parking area to see if any reactions. Then drive off. A piece of cake. Didn't have to get out of my car.

I hate to sound like I'm lecturing, but I've taught college biology for a long time. The amount of anti-vax talk in here is staggering. These mRNA vaccines are NOT dangerous in any way. mRNA can NOT enter the nucleus of your cells and change your DNA. The vaccines will NOT make you sick (other than the short lived symptoms of the vaccination process). If enough people don't get vaccinated, then the virus is going to be around until everybody either recovers or dies from it. If you're eligible, and there's vaccine available in your area, please take advantage. If you're not eligible yet, be patient - production will be ramping up.

Just to clarify a bit here on DNA and RNA because I actually studied generics in college. My teacher tried to make me quit because I was not in medical school and she said I would fail. I made the best grade in the class. That was because it was an interest of mine and not just a pre req for my degree. This has been very useful knowledge over the last year whereas the rest of my life it was useless :p.

DNA is a double helix RNA is a single helix of genetic material. You can see this in the image below. Both are made of 4 molecules the A (Aenina), the G (Guanina), the C (Citosina), and the T (Timina). A is always across from T and G is always across from C in the DNA double helix.

When a cell splits what happens is the Rhibosome takes DNA in on one side, splits the double helix then takes RNA floating in the cell to match those pairs back onto the now split DNA and makes the 1 DNA into 2 identical DNA strands. So yes RNA does go into DNA but RNA cannot insert itself into this process in a different order than it was before as the whole process is powered by chemical bonds and the A only binds with T and C only binds with G.

What causes DNA to change are other chemicals like heavy metals we might breathe or eat and things like sunlight. UV rays actually can blast holes in DNA strands shortening them and cutting them in half so when this process takes place what is created is no longer a cell that functions as the tissue it is supposed to be. When this process happens we call it cancer.

As for taking in RNA well you don't need this vaccine to do that. We consume RNA and DNA all the time. It's in every living we eat which is everything we eat. That is where the spare RNA that is floating around in our cells for them to split comes from. It's why we have to eat and it's why we literally are what we eat.

A virus is actually rogue DNA set loose in our systems. A virus is a protein package with spikes that bond to our cells and insert a DNA packet into them. The virus then hijacks our ribosome and starts producing that DNA instead of our own DNA. Eventually the cell bursts when it is full of the virus and releases many more viruses into our system. Our immune system eventually comes up with antibodies which bind to the spikes preventing them from attaching to cells. This is the process of getting sick and then getting well. The virus overwhelms our system and then our system turns the tide and overwhelms the virus.

It's also why the amount of the virus you intake when you're infected can drastically change the symptoms. You take in a lot you will get very sick because your immune system take much longer to overwhelm the virus. If you only take in a bit your immune system can match the output and you will only get a little sick.

What the mRNA vaccines do is insert mRNA into our system which will act like a virus and take over our cells to produce only the outside spikes of the coronavirus protein pack. This triggers your immune system to make the binders that will bind to thos spikes in case you are infected with an actual coronavirus.

I know this is complicated but it is molecular biology so it's supposed to be hard. I also am not trying to persuade anyone to take a vaccine or not. I do know there is a lot of fear and a lot of misinformation though and this is actually something I know a little bit about. My knowledge here is quite high level and out of the weeds so I can't answer much more but this is a decent start for those curious.

View attachment 8989701

I understand all that, and you have stated it very eloquently.

Bottom line, I am not comfortable putting something in my body that CAN (as in 100% can, not 100% will) change my DNA.

I have no problem poking 100 arms a day. For me personally though, I do not like the concept and where it potentially leads. I’m not saying it’s not a marvel of medicine. I’m just saying I am leary of it.

The potential is there and without further study beyond 4 months, it quite frankly scares the living hell out of me.

Of course I just had successful treatment with a new form of chemo. Yeah I had to take it for two fracking years but I’m alive and getting better. So I’m not afraid to try something new. But.... I could have had the double vaccine now due to my access to it. I’m just not willing. Im hoping the 70% or so that take it will cover the rest of us to get rid of this.

Reactions: Ooo
I hate to sound like I'm lecturing, but I've taught college biology for a long time. The amount of anti-vax talk in here is staggering. These mRNA vaccines are NOT dangerous in any way. mRNA can NOT enter the nucleus of your cells and change your DNA. The vaccines will NOT make you sick (other than the short lived symptoms of the vaccination process). If enough people don't get vaccinated, then the virus is going to be around until everybody either recovers or dies from it. If you're eligible, and there's vaccine available in your area, please take advantage. If you're not eligible yet, be patient - production will be ramping up.

Wrong. RNA has the capability to invade/change DNA. Am I wrong? I am not. I don’t claim that this is doing that. I only say that there is a chance.

I am stabbing folks all day in my day to day. I am not anti vaccine. I am anti anything that can change our DNA.

Damn I’ve got a lot to get off my chest tonight, the late night with me thread will be good. It’s still early and my date cancelled so y’all stuck with my.

Wrong. RNA has the capability to invade/change DNA. Am I wrong? I am not. I don’t claim that this is doing that. I only say that there is a chance.

I am stabbing folks all day in my day to day. I am not anti vaccine. I am anti anything that can change our DNA.

Damn I’ve got a lot to get off my chest tonight, the late night with me thread will be good. It’s still early and my date cancelled so y’all stuck with my.

Yes you are wrong. The m. (messenger) is an important distinction.

mRNA can not affect DNA in human cells. It only creates (encodes for) a very specific protein within your cell. mRNA will never enter the nucleus where our DNA is stored. That specific protein is the spike on the outside of Sars-Cov-2. the presence of the spike protein in your cells creates an immune response that then allows your body to have the tools to attack Sars-Cov-2 and give you immunity (in ~95% of people with vaccine) to getting Covid19.

Source:
Could an mRNA vaccine change my DNA?

An mRNA vaccine — the first COVID-19 vaccine to be granted emergency use authorization (EUA) by the FDA — cannot change your DNA.

mRNA, or messenger RNA, is genetic material that contains instructions for making proteins. mRNA vaccines for COVID-19 contain man-made mRNA. Inside the body, the mRNA enters human cells and instructs them to produce the "spike" protein found on the surface of the COVID-19 virus. Soon after a cell makes the spike protein, the cell breaks down the mRNA into harmless pieces. At no point does the mRNA enter the cell's nucleus, which is where our genetic material (DNA) lives.

The immune system recognizes the spike protein as an invader and produces antibodies against it. If the antibodies later encounter the actual virus, they are ready to recognize and destroy it before it causes illness.

My county did a great job of setting up the vaccine hub. They set up a drive thru. As you drive thru, you fill out the paper work, paper work is checked and then the vaccine was given. Then, waited 15 minutes in another parking area to see if any reactions. Then drive off. A piece of cake. Didn't have to get out of my car.
Denton? I was just over in the Lewisville site this afternoon getting my first one....

Yes you are wrong. The m. (messenger) is an important distinction.

mRNA can not affect DNA in human cells. It only creates (encodes for) a very specific protein within your cell. mRNA will never enter the nucleus where our DNA is stored. That specific protein is the spike on the outside of Sars-Cov-2. the presence of the spike protein in your cells creates an immune response that then allows your body to have the tools to attack Sars-Cov-2 and give you immunity (in ~95% of people with vaccine) to getting Covid19.

Source:
Could an mRNA vaccine change my DNA?

An mRNA vaccine — the first COVID-19 vaccine to be granted emergency use authorization (EUA) by the FDA — cannot change your DNA.

mRNA, or messenger RNA, is genetic material that contains instructions for making proteins. mRNA vaccines for COVID-19 contain man-made mRNA. Inside the body, the mRNA enters human cells and instructs them to produce the "spike" protein found on the surface of the COVID-19 virus. Soon after a cell makes the spike protein, the cell breaks down the mRNA into harmless pieces. At no point does the mRNA enter the cell's nucleus, which is where our genetic material (DNA) lives.

The immune system recognizes the spike protein as an invader and produces antibodies against it. If the antibodies later encounter the actual virus, they are ready to recognize and destroy it before it causes illness.

We shall agree to disagree. I understand what you are saying. My point stands and remains, RNA can and will change DNA.

I didn’t qualify it with an (m) in front of it. I’m front line arm jabbing and observing them for 15 minutes and moving on with the next batch.

I’m just a knucklehead but the eggheads that work with me disagree on this.

Imma stick with the egghead that isn’t doing this until a later time. Again, I’m 100% not anti vaccine.

I just trust nothing with 4 months of trials. What if everyone that had the say (blank drug company) vaccine 3 months from now starts exhibiting bizarre symptoms? Keep on mind I started a drug trial 20ish months ago that cured me of a rare form of a lymph node cancer. The medicine damn near killed me and was effective. I’m still alive but I’ve lost 60+ pounds (not a bad thing) since 04/01/20. I basically knew what I was getting without being allowed to talk about it via NDA’s.

I’ll move the rest over to late night musings, but zombies? C’mon? That’s the damn apocalypse I prepared for.

My wife got the first of two yesterday.. So far she is still alive..

My wife got the first of two yesterday.. So far she is still alive..

I’ve oversaw/seen hundreds administered (first doses only so far) and none have had more than a slightly sore arm the next day. I’m not even sure I can say where we get them from, but my uncle Kizer, a lawyer, told me I shouldn’t say.

Hey, I can report honest findings:)

Unfortunately most that I’ve heard that become slightly to a little more than slightly ill have come from their second dose.

We shall agree to disagree. I understand what you are saying. My point stands and remains, RNA can and will change DNA.

I didn’t qualify it with an (m) in front of it. I’m front line arm jabbing and observing them for 15 minutes and moving on with the next batch.

I’m just a knucklehead but the eggheads that work with me disagree on this.

Imma stick with the egghead that isn’t doing this until a later time. Again, I’m 100% not anti vaccine.

I just trust nothing with 4 months of trials. What if everyone that had the say (blank drug company) vaccine 3 months from now starts exhibiting bizarre symptoms? Keep on mind I started a drug trial 20ish months ago that cured me of a rare form of a lymph node cancer. The medicine damn near killed me and was effective. I’m still alive but I’ve lost 60+ pounds (not a bad thing) since 04/01/20. I basically knew what I was getting without being allowed to talk about it via NDA’s.

I’ll move the rest over to late night musings, but zombies? C’mon? That’s the damn apocalypse I prepared for.

The m is what is relevant here. thus discussing mRNA not RNA is important. To that there is no agree to disagree. Facts are critical. To that, it is FACT that mRNA can not alter DNA. Which is critical safety aspect of this vaccine. Are there other concerns....yep. but that is not one of them.

Your choice to not get or get the vaccine is not something I would ever debate. 👊. that we can agree on.

disclaimer : I am just a PhD Chemist, not a medical doctor

some really good explanation of how the mRNA creates the protein to trigger the immune response can be found here:

Please remember that translation happens in the cytosol not in the nucleus where our DNA lives.

The point is that as case numbers drop, there's less cases to cause the spread. Eventually there won't be enough hosts to keep infections at a pandemic level.

Right, I get that, but some of the things I'm reading are saying that they aren't sure if the vaccine can prevent you from spreading Covid, or from actually even getting Covid (just lessoning the symptoms). So, in that case, you still have just as many people getting and spreading Covid. Less people going to the ER or getting severe reactions (if they have had a vaccine), but that doesn't do any good for anyone that hasn't been vaccinated, or to prevent/lesson the spreading of it. Which is why the articles are saying you still need to wear masks after being vaccinated (you can still spread it).

I think its just so new, no one knows for sure what can or can not happen. I think I've already had Covid (wasn't tested) and am probably immune anyway, lol.

Is this the latest thing, it changing your DNA? I haven’t heard that one, although I’ve silenced all my bat **** crazy friends on Facebook so I tend not to hear from the Facebook medical professionals these days. Although I’ll be honest, if I have this vaccine, and a week later, I turn into a fly or something, I’m not gonna lie, I’m gonna be pissed!!!!!

Interesting enough I was able to schedule my mom for her first vaccine shot. My Dad has to take her 1.5 hours away, but she is able to get it scheduled. There was no way she could have done this herself. I literally just kept changing Rite Aide locations and refreshing the app like I was trying to get concert tickets.

Although I am very happy I got my mother scheduled, the system has to get a better distribution site on how to easily get everyone scheduled that qualifies and that we have enough vaccines for.

Both parents got their vaccines today (1st dose of Pfizer). They’re 77 and 80. No reactions, thankfully. I hope it provides the anticipated protection, down the line.
I’ll wait my turn and, most likely, get mine when available.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back