CRANKING the driver....I mean putting 90%+ power into it...

66Tiger

Golf > Work = :^)
Reaction score
Handicap
Beer&Soju
So I can consistently hit my driver (G30 SF Tec) straight now.... a good 180 - 200 yards. That is using all of the "let the club" do the work techniques.

I am 6'2", 217 lbs and in shape. I want to use the muscles I have developed over the years lifting weights and from other exercises. I should be able to crank that ball out to 300+ yards. My question is, what techniques do you go to when applying the big muscles for a hard and fast swing?

My practice swings while cranking it are fantastic, put a ball down and it all changes. 20% of the time I about hit the cover off the ball. The other 80% is usually a huge long slice.

Moved to Swing Tips.

Muscles aren't as important as flexibility IMO.

I've gotten exponentially longer after I dropped muscle and increased flexibility.

I've gotten exponentially longer after I dropped muscle and increased flexibility.

Interested in Freddie's input here, but I've found the same thing. Being able to make a full shoulder turn I think is the most important part.

On the money there, also get in the mindset of faster not harder. For me harder = tension = slow. Also make sure your AoA is positive, you could be losing yards there.

Interested in Freddie's input here, but I've found the same thing. Being able to make a full shoulder turn I think is the most important part.

add me to this list. I am not a big guy but can put the ball out in the 240-260 range. Flexibility and swing mechanics go along way. Maybe post a video and let Freddie have at it.

Flexibility is key here. I'm 5'9 185 lbs and I'm usually the longest or 2md longest when playing with my buddies... I have dropped weight over the last year which has helped. Also shifting your weight is key!

Tap tap taparoo

I believe this 100%. I am not the strongest guy in the world but am consistently one of the longer drivers of everyone that I play with.

I have really good core from work but flexibility is just as if not more important.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's all flexibility and core strength. I played with alot of big guys in my old job, and they would get annoyed when my 6'2'' 180 self put it 20 yards past them consistently. I spend one day a year in the gym, and my swing speed is up there.

The flip side is, with all that swing sped I'm still a lousy golfer.

It is also about timing and getting all of the moving parts to synch properly for maximum energy transfer to the ball. A lot of times if I try to swing harder, my lower body and upper body get out of synch and lead to the club getting stuck behind me and leaving no where to go except way right.

At your size you should be hitting the ball a lot further than 200 yards with a driver, I'm not saying you're going to hit the ball 300+ but should be more than 200. I think a lot of people have hit the nail on the head when they talk about flexibility but I think it's about getting loaded power in the right places throughout your swing, which includes flexibility. The golf swing is a lot more athletic than most people think it is. A majority of 'big' power is going to start from the ground up. Along with getting a good turn (flexibility) you need to get the weight (power) to the right side on the back swing and at the top you should feel loaded in your right quad. You need to have a synchronized down swing starting with your lower body but having solid footwork and good lower body power is where you are going to start seeing your distance.

yep, ex weight lifter also and fairly fit (but old) and struggle to get out past 230. All about the move thought the ball and being loose. I tried a couple today at full speed really let it fly and crushed one (over 250) and lost one (never saw it again, might be still going left). But smooth and 230 in the short grass is much better IMO

I agree. The longest hitter I know personally (Pro bowler EJ Tackett) weighs in at a whopping 145 lbs and drives the ball from 275 to 290 with ease.

Big muscles have nothing to do with cranking the ball. It's sounds like your muscles are working against you. Hitting the ball far is a combination of speed, angles and delivery into the ball. All of these have to act as one.

Having a properly matched driver will also play a role in cranking it

Big muscles have nothing to do with cranking the ball. It's sounds like your muscles are working against you. Hitting the ball far is a combination of speed, angles and delivery into the ball. All of these have to act as one.

Having a properly matched driver will also play a role in cranking it

You described me perfectly, working against myself. But David is trying to fix me, little steps, more lessons!

You described me perfectly, working against myself. But David is trying to fix me, little steps, more lessons!

David is a little guy and hits it a ton

Technique and efficiency is really important. Being a super strong human being is. Or super important. But a strong core and posterior chain will make the swing easier.

Core building yoga workouts, and then flexibility yoga workout. That can help. Strength (in the right areas) plus flexibility.

Look at rory. I dont think he gained any weight over the past few years, but he built strength. And then, he didnt lose any of that flexibility that gives him such a beautiful swing.

~Rock

So I can consistently hit my driver (G30 SF Tec) straight now.... a good 180 - 200 yards. That is using all of the "let the club" do the work techniques.

My practice swings while cranking it are fantastic, put a ball down and it all changes. 20% of the time I about hit the cover off the ball. The other 80% is usually a huge long slice.

curious... do you come from a baseball(/softball) background? the above describes very well what it was like for me when i ventured into golf. i found it to be a difficult and long process to unlearn what my mind/body had ingrained and develop an essentially whole new skillset.

even now, after not having played ball for many years, if i mentally rehearse my driver tee swing, i go right back into all the (bad for golf) baseball swing movements and motions. and referencing your post, it's a mental battle i still fight when i'm trying to go into that mode (for me, above 80-83%) of going at it hard.

I'm not saying this is the right way but you might want to try this

Swing as hard as you possibly can. But a couple things
1. Get a lesson or two to make sure your swing path and stuff is good
2. Keep your wrists loose
3. Line up to the middle of the fairway. This will almost force your body to draw the ball because you need to hit it straight.

This method won't work for everyone but for the few it will work for, you'll be able to pound it

Core is important, but you can have a weak core and hit the ball over 200 yards using your wrists.

For me it's core strength rather than flexibility. Flexibility is a huge asset, not disputing that at all. Only, I don't have any... :) yet I can still get it out there.

I'm only 5'8, about 200 lbs. Not in the shape I was in in just the early part of this summer but I'm very strong for my size as I still lift heavy free weights regularly.

But I really don't think my strength has much at all to do with my distance. Maybe in hacking a ball from thick rough, I dunno...

For me it's core strength and swing efficiency. I never tried for more distance, it just happened. In falling off the wagon with my core work lately, I've lost distance. Anyway, I'm representative of the fact that it can be done without very good flexibility but if you can become more flexible, absolutely go for it.

Perhaps another thing that I have had going for me is my quickness. Never really thought of it until martial arts but the instructor always commented about my "explosive reflexes." To see how lazy and sedentary I usually am, that's quite the surprise. ;-)

here's my main question: are you missing the sweet spot? if op is big and strong but can't hit the middle of the clubface, that's a big problem. if he's hitting the sweet spot, then it sounds like swing mechanics, not just tension.

David is a little guy and hits it a ton

It is quite amazing what he can do and just makes it look effortless, we are going to go out and play a round. I can't wait to see him on the course and learn by watching a real good golfer play.

if only I could get the body to just turn in a smooth together fashion, it is either the all arms swing or the good turn and the arms are behind or everything too fast and the great way left shot. That is the result of not taking lessons until the body is shot and the bad habits are ingrained.

Back