Cross Country on the Golf Course

RecGolfer

Reaction score
Handicap
Owners of The Mook at Alderbrook in Tillamook, Oregon (formally called Alderbrook Golf Course) have created a top-rank high school cross country course on the grounds. The goal is that The Mook XC Invitational will become an early season West Coast preview of the best teams and best runners in the Western United States. An aerial photo of the golf course with the XC routing is below. The grounds is still an active golf course.

Course Description: This is a world-class championship style 5K cross country course that is both fast and honest. Most of the race is on shortly clipped fairways. The first mile is slightly downhill and fast, the second mile is uphill, and the last mile has more downhill than up. It makes for a very fast first mile, a grueling 2nd mile, and a determining last mile. The entire course will be lined with flags and course monitors will be on the course to keep all participants inside these flags.

5k-District-Courselines_.jpg

I've seen that at some local courses here as well. makes sense.

State championship for my kids was always run at a country club up in Jeff City. A few of their regular season events were on courses as well. Golf courses are great places to run. They'll need a bunch of auxiliary parking if the event at 'The Mook' evolves into anything close to the annual event they run down in Fayetteville.

Last edited:
Cross county on golf courses is a norm here. Tons of space, ups and downs and 6.5 miles from first tee to the 18th green. It's about this time we start seeing them run here

We had the SEC championship at the Ole Miss course a year or two ag9 and several HS meets.

I ran cross country in high school and college and golf courses were great venues to run on...that said, we had a meet after a hurricane dumps remnants for days in the Midwest and absolutely ruined the golf course for the rest of the fall season... needless to say there are no more cross country races held there

They do it at one of the local nine hole courses by me from time to time.

unless the new owners have fixed the routing of the three holes along the clubhouse and the clown hole that is straight uphill to a shortsided green (that was downright dangerous if you came up short), this feels like a much better use of that course....

Back