Cross hand full swing?

MGoBlue

2021 Titleist Experience!
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap

Wow! What a swing! I've used this technique for smaller chipping like Matt Fitz but crossed hand as a full swing is a different animal. So much hip rotation to get your hands turned over. Very impressive

I watched this several times. I have focused on the hands and the hips. Lot of action going on there.

impressive, i dont think i could do it.

I wrote about this some time ago in another post, but my brother and I were pretty decent high school golfers in the late 70's/early 80's. We visited my grandmother in Warrenton, GA in 1980 and played some country golf course nearby. The club pro played with us and he used a cross-handed grip with every club. He played his ball vs our best ball and beat us, probably shooting a couple under par. It was pretty impressive!

First time I saw it, I didn't read the caption and thought it looked off. Then I realized what what happening and I was shocked. Really cool to see it work!

I am amazed by others abilities and talents

I never understood why this method got the tag "cross handed". To me the conventional swing is a cross handed action in order to keep the elbows close together - requiring the forearms to be wound up on each other during the backswing. The conventional swing has the left arm/hand in control of the club with the right playing a bracing and supporting role. The cross-handed has the right hand/arm in control with the left supporting.

There was a player on Nationwide Tour that played cross handed, but don't think he is playing anymore.

There is a guy at my club who plays like this - always makes me wonder how he ended up playing that way?

RI golf legend already. Played baseball as a lefty hitter, so he just kept his same grip as he played golf righty. Deadly short game, shot 59 last month in a practice round for Oklahoma.

Cross handed golfers very common in Ireland, mostly ex hurlers.

Would this be harder than playing left handed(for right handed golfer)and vice versa

Every one of our children and our grand children gripped the club with the backhanded left below right grip when they first handled a golf club. I am sure it is a common grip for most who come to the game as children. IMO the conventional grip is a manufactured action as is the rest of the swing. Probably one of the reasons why golf is so darn difficult for most of us.

I am really tempted to try it.

I have a buddy at the club that has played cross handed since he was a kid, and he is a good player, about a 4 index.

67 today and he makes the cut, awesome for him.

Played with a club pro one time who swung like this. Looked crazy but worked for him.

There is a guy at my club who plays like this - always makes me wonder how he ended up playing that way?
Still uncommon but not nearly as uncommon in Ireland, where hurling uses a cross-handed swing as a general rule. Also, sometimes if a guy plays hockey left-handed but plays golf right-handed, they'll be more comfortable with a left-hand low grip.

Back