Cross your fingers please...

Good luck. I kind of wish they would do this is the states. There too may idiots out there sometimes

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

The test isn't about skill level, methinks, it's about general golf etiquette...repairing divots and ball marks, not stepping on another persons line on the green, calling faster players through whenever possible, etc. That should be emphasized more here, I think. I liked another persons idea earlier - have some of the nicer courses require the etiquette test, and there would still be many courses that an average Joe and family can still play without requiring said test. It isn't about what you shoot, it's about how you act.
He said score matters. I agree that for the nicer courses etiquette tests could be implemented but if someones never played there must they take one? Or would it stay on someones record if they join the usga? But that would require them joining? Just seems like a lot of work for something that should already be common sense.

He said score matters. I agree that for the nicer courses etiquette tests could be implemented but if someones never played there must they take one? Or would it stay on someones record if they join the usga? But that would require them joining? Just seems like a lot of work for something that should already be common sense.

And there's the rub right there...common sense is far from common, LOL...

Best of luck dude...:D

I'd be against the scoring test. Everyone has to start somewhere. I hope the op brings his pocket knife. Those SwIss pocket knives can do anything.

Kevin

Good luck!

Good luck!

I have heard about those systems, and its awesome if your courses are already filled with players, but we are still in a bit of a crisis in America in which our massive growth of golf courses has outgrown the demand. I agree with Oregon Golfer - we could have a system like that in America but just let the individual courses decide if they want to implement the system or not. Municipal courses or public courses that need revenue could waive the system. High end country clubs and resort courses with triple digit greens fees could require a qualifying card. Some courses might only invoke the requirement on weekends, or during peak seasons. It would really be neat to have to qualify to play certain courses in your area, but it kind of cuts against the current trend of making golf accessible to everyone.

The test isn't about skill level, methinks, it's about general golf etiquette...repairing divots and ball marks, not stepping on another persons line on the green, calling faster players through whenever possible, etc. That should be emphasized more here, I think. I liked another persons idea earlier - have some of the nicer courses require the etiquette test, and there would still be many courses that an average Joe and family can still play without requiring said test. It isn't about what you shoot, it's about how you act.

Competency exams should be reserved for activities that affect public safety (e.g., operating a motor vehicle) not non-professional athletic / social events.

Good luck!

I have heard about those systems, and its awesome if your courses are already filled with players, but we are still in a bit of a crisis in America in which our massive growth of golf courses has outgrown the demand. I agree with Oregon Golfer - we could have a system like that in America but just let the individual courses decide if they want to implement the system or not. Municipal courses or public courses that need revenue could waive the system. High end country clubs and resort courses with triple digit greens fees could require a qualifying card. Some courses might only invoke the requirement on weekends, or during peak seasons. It would really be neat to have to qualify to play certain courses in your area, but it kind of cuts against the current trend of making golf accessible to everyone.

Some courses have an index requirement (St. Andrews?). I realize it is a somewhat arbitrary distinction but I'm okay with that.

Thanks to all of you guys. I'll tell you how it worked out tomorrow.

Good luck. Just go out there and play golf, don't worry about what might or might not be and you'll be fine. We're all pulling for you.

I am all for the etiquette and rules tests, but a mandatory scoring ability? I am sorry, but that is just idiotic. Absolutely stupid.

I am all for the etiquette and rules tests, but a mandatory scoring ability? I am sorry, but that is just idiotic. Absolutely stupid.
I don't think so, we are considering adding a HC requirement to our course because 18+ HC resort golfers really back up the pace of play and ruin 100's of peoples rounds. I think overall it is a very good idea and with some work could be great for golf.

The system works and I wish it was implemented in some form in the states. Of course criteria would be different but some folks have no business on the golf course

I'm sorry, I just have to respectfully disagree. I play to a 20, but I have never been accused of slowing down the pace of play. If a golfer is slow beyond reason, kick him off the course, but I will say this: some of the best golfers out there are slow as Christmas (Tiger Woods, Jim Furyk, Kevin Na).
I don't think so, we are considering adding a HC requirement to our course because 18+ HC resort golfers really back up the pace of play and ruin 100's of peoples rounds. I think overall it is a very good idea and with some work could be great for golf.

The system works and I wish it was implemented in some form in the states. Of course criteria would be different but some folks have no business on the golf course
Totally agree Freddy.
I'm sorry, I just have to respectfully disagree. I play to a 20, but I have never been accused of slowing down the pace of play. If a golfer is slow beyond reason, kick him off the course, but I will say this: some of the best golfers out there are slow as Christmas (Tiger Woods, Jim Furyk, Kevin Na).
Depends on the course JR, for my course it is incredibly difficult and if you are above an 18 HC you will have a long long long day and even if you were a fast player, you would create a slow round. We see it every day, and it for us, it has to end.

Comparing a pro's pace of play to an amateur isn't really a fair or useful comparison in my opinion.

I see nothing wrong with the system myself. Especially the etiquette test.

Totally agree Freddy.

Depends on the course JR, for my course it is incredibly difficult and if you are above an 18 HC you will have a long long long day and even if you were a fast player, you would create a slow round. We see it every day, and it for us, it has to end.

I still can't get behind the idea man. Maybe it is because I fall into a category that would keep me off of some courses. I don't know, but I will never, ever support keeping a person off the course because he can't break 90.

Also CB, let me ask this: is a 15 handicap really going to get around that much quicker than a 19? What if a 12 cap is having a bad day? What if putting is where the 20 capper sucks, an area that, in my experience, doesn't really add much time to a round?

Also CB, let me ask this: is a 15 handicap really going to get around that much quicker than a 19? What if a 12 cap is having a bad day? What if putting is where the 20 capper sucks, an area that, in my experience, doesn't really add much time to a round?
JR, yes it does and we see it every day, to the point where this drastic measure is being discussed as a way to solve it.

Alright man, we'll just have to agree to disagree I suppose.

I've seen my fair share in the industry in my young career and I see where CB is coming from, but I must disagree with Bear Mountain on this one. There is other ways of speeding up play than to put an HC limit. Rangers do a lot when used effectively, and I think they may need to do a little more in this manner.

Handicaps can be helped or hurt with putting or shotmaking ability and no 2 20 handicappers are the same. I know that if I had one of my 20+ buddies' putting ability, I'd be plus. And I know someone who is a lower cap than me who can't putt the ball to save their life(generalization), but make up tons of strokes on through ballstriking the crap out of a course.

That being said I forgot to address another point:

I approve of being tested on etiquette, rules, traditions, etc!!

I still can't get behind the idea man. Maybe it is because I fall into a category that would keep me off of some courses. I don't know, but I will never, ever support keeping a person off the course because he can't break 90.

The OP said you have to break 30 for 6 holes with a par of 18. That is the same as having to break 90 on an 18-hole course with a par of 54. That is the same as having to break 120 on an 18-hole course with a par of 72.

I don't think it is unreasonable to expect a player to break 120 on an average US course, do you? Let them play par 3 courses until they can do that. I'd love to see this implemented and enforced here.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

Back