Cuater by TravisMathew: The Legend and The Moneymaker

For anyone else considering, I have a pair of cuater casual shoes and they are REAAAAALLLYYYY comfortable

I did see a lighter colorway on IG and liked it but I still think it’s too much money for an ok looking shoe

Some of those dailys might be good replacemts for some allbrids that have never really loved up to the hype.

Not too sure about Allbirds not living up to hype. I am in the footwear business and they are on fire. People seem to like the feel of wool.

How do you pronounce this?
Cuter
Cue Ater
Cue ahh ter

i’ve been saying it wrong for awhile. on a recent shipshow podcast, the guys were pronouncing it “KWAY-tuhr”

Some of those dailys might be good replacemts for some allbrids that have never really loved up to the hype.

I love my allbirds. I have a pair of wool runners and a pair of tree runners. For casual beat around sneakers I find them great.

8EFB5DBC-73FF-4D9F-971E-C043F9BA4D05.jpeg

Grandaddy THPers, please use this thread for reviews.

I was pretty darn impressed with both pairs. I have the Legends now, but tried on the others as well. I’m pretty sure I will have both colors.

Half of us were given a pair of The Legend and the other half got The Moneymaker.
I received a pair of The Legend, and while I wouldn’t typically purchase a classic style like this one, I could immediately tell the quality was good. Tried them on and the fit was good and the cushion and support was nice.

This was the first pair of golf shoes that my feet weren’t sore from after playing a round.I’ve not owned many pairs, but these were exceptional.

My feet stayed dry after our rainy round on Wednesday.

In regards to sizing, they are a little longer than I expected. I normally wear an 11.5, but probably should have gone with an 11. My heal on the right side kept slipping out, but on Thursday’s round I just cinched the laces up more and that really helped.

I will have a lot more to add, but here are some initial thoughts:

I was pumped to get a pair of the Legends. I mostly wear the casual sneaker type shoe, but I’ve always wanted a more traditional looking pair for work outings, etc. What blew my mind was how lightweight and comfortable they were. Nothing traditional about that.

I wore them Wednesday during the rain round. They kept my feet perfectly dry all day, and the spikes certainly helped keep me stable. After the round, I was a little sad because my pretty kicks were covered in grass and mud. I definitely tested the conditions...

Well, with just a towel and hot water, voila:

5CEF43B9-582A-4A06-9FC8-031FD0012DB4.jpeg

Half of us were given a pair of The Legend and the other half got The Moneymaker.
I received a pair of The Legend, and while I wouldn’t typically purchase a classic style like this one, I could immediately tell the quality was good. Tried them on and the fit was good and the cushion and support was nice.

This was the first pair of golf shoes that my feet weren’t sore from after playing a round.I’ve not owned many pairs, but these were exceptional.

In regards to sizing, they are a little longer than I expected. I normally wear an 11.5, but probably should have gone with an 11. My heal on the right side kept slipping out, but on Thursday’s round I just cinched the laces up more and that really helped.

Good tip on sizing. I wear 11 in Nike and most other brands. 11 was fine in these on Wednesday because I wore some thicker Cuater socks, but with some standard socks, I’d preferred to size down half a size.

Last edited:
I'm absolutely in love with The Legend. I'm glad to hear they performed well and aren't just good for looks. I want a pair of the white. Bad.

Thanks for the feedback on sizing. That was going to be my biggest question about them.

i'll have a more in depth review once I am able to play some golf in my MoneyMakers, but just from walking the course in wet conditions on Wednesday I can say

1. Comfort is outstanding. These feel like you have two pillows under your feet. I have Puma NXT Solelace right now and these feel and cushion way better than those do by a lot.
2. The upper/outer material is protected with a 3M Defender and it works. Shoes never got soggy from the rain, my socks were never wet and any small stains came right off with damp cloth.
3. The traction is great in these. Again, Wednesday was not ideal and there were some slick surfaces to walk on and these gripped perfectly.
4. The toe box area isnt as narrow as they might look which I was happy with. I got a 10 1/2 which is my normal size and for feet not as wide I could see going down a half size and being a great fit. I had some room above my toes at 10 1/2, but not where walking or the crease from walking would dig into my feet.

Overall first impressions are they look great, feel good and live up the water/stain resistant claims. More after I've had a few rounds under my belt.

The grey athletic ones look like fire!!!

been using spineless but I think it’s time to replace my spikeless foot joys with something athletic looking and with spikes (white or grey)...

i'll have a more in depth review once I am able to play some golf in my MoneyMakers, but just from walking the course in wet conditions on Wednesday I can say

1. Comfort is outstanding. These feel like you have two pillows under your feet. I have Puma NXT Solelace right now and these feel and cushion way better than those do by a lot.
2. The upper/outer material is protected with a 3M Defender and it works. Shoes never got soggy from the rain, my socks were never wet and any small stains came right off with damp cloth.
3. The traction is great in these. Again, Wednesday was not ideal and there were some slick surfaces to walk on and these gripped perfectly.
4. The toe box area isnt as narrow as they might look which I was happy with. I got a 10 1/2 which is my normal size and for feet not as wide I could see going down a half size and being a great fit. I had some room above my toes at 10 1/2, but not where walking or the crease from walking would dig into my feet.

Overall first impressions are they look great, feel good and live up the water/stain resistant claims. More after I've had a few rounds under my belt.

I will have more on this once I cam take some acceptable photos, but I will throw out that mine did get wet by the end of the day and my socks were wet when I got back to the hotel.
That being said, I wouldn’t wear that style of shoe in rain normally, but it sounds like I’m the odd man out with having water penetration.

They look, feel, a grip VERY well, with zero slippage in wet conditions.

More to come

I'm absolutely in love with The Legend. I'm glad to hear they performed well and aren't just good for looks. I want a pair of the white. Bad.

Thanks for the feedback on sizing. That was going to be my biggest question about them.

The width was fine. Just think about going a half size smaller. I'll likely just go with thicker socks and be fine.

I did my fitting and played 18 on Wednesday in nasty rainy conditions and the Legend’s held up better than any golf shoe I had previously owned.

These shoes are full grain premium leather and have the look and styling of a classic golf shoe but the comfort and performance of the more athletic type of shoe.

During my fitting these shoes had great grip and really locked your foot in place. The laces cinch right and the footbed is extremely comfortable.

Them I wore them in the pouring rain for 18 holes at the Clive course. I never had one moment where my foot slipped and my socks stayed completely dry all day.

Initially I thought the price point was too high but after experiencing the performance I believe these should be priced at the top end of the classic golf shoe range.

I will report back in a few weeks once I can test out the durability.

I got a pair of the moneymakers and waited to wear them in Thursday’s round since it poured for Wednesday’s round.

Being totally transparent, I wasn’t a spikeless guy at all before this event. But I wanted to give this one an honest test on the course and real feedback.

The moneymaker is actually very comfortable. It’s well cushioned, and gives good support around the heel and arch. I had to walk a decent amount chasing after lost balls (product research of course!) and never felt any soreness in my feet at all. (Which is typical for my other golf spikes)

It’s funny cause I remember the moment before we got on the bus to leave the Hideaway, I reached into my bag to grab my running shoes to change into and I asked myself “why am I changing?” Normally the answer is that my feet hurt but this wasn’t the case here.

The only small minor complaint is that the all white knitting shows dirt easily. A quick scrub and I got most of it looking almost new but I could see the all white losing its sparkle quicker than a darker color. Otherwise, this is a shoe I will certainly be wearing a lot more into next season.

I will have more on this once I cam take some acceptable photos, but I will throw out that mine did get wet by the end of the day and my socks were wet when I got back to the hotel.
That being said, I wouldn’t wear that style of shoe in rain normally, but it sounds like I’m the odd man out with having water penetration.

They look, feel, a grip VERY well, with zero slippage in wet conditions.

More to come

Makes sense you would see more water. You actually played in that weather and I had the luxury of avoiding soft course conditions and more careful where I walked.

I think you hit the nail on the head about being a shoe you wouldn’t normally wear when it’s raining. I’ll take it a step further in that I normally wouldn’t have been at the course in those conditions, but this little event we were at was a bit different. ;)

as part of the gifts bestowed to the participants in the 2019 grandaddy with callaway golf, i received a pair of cuater “the legend” golf shoes in white.

A4C3F8A0-271F-43CA-9647-D39AB2298DEE.jpeg

the shoes look so clean. there is classic design but with a modern feel. everything about the shoe screams quality.

we were treated to a product overview. the presentation discussed cuater’s focus on comfort, stability, durability and waterproofing. so what better time to test these claims than a round of golf in cold rainy conditions?!

wednesday at the grandaddy we played in such conditions. a steady drizzle that sometimes freshened to a steady rain (never quite a downpour with puddles though). i was wearing balega no show socks, and pants.

during the round, i never once slipped. and my foot felt extremely stable in the shoe. i found the fit to be a bit looser than some other shoes, though that could be attributable the extreme comfort designed into the shoe.

when i took the shoes off, i had three observations:

1- feet are bone dry. waterproofing is legit.

2- shoes stayed pretty clean given conditions. not completely unscathed, but for a white shoe it was impressive. i will try to snag another pic before i clean them up.

3- the tongue and upper construction was waterproofed very well. i wonder whether the construction of the tongue is a bit more firm and sturdy to achieve this, because the edge fell above my no show sock line and rubbed a pretty good bit of skin off. that said, i do have pretty sensitive skin, because @j_sizzle9 wore the same type of socks and had no irritation.

my feeling is that the shoes are worthy of the price tag. extremely high quality. good fit and comfort as advertised. waterproofing was better than any shoe i’ve tried, which is huge for my area of the country.

I am just happy to still have my Legends. I did the Grandaddy apparel presentation first followed by putter fitting then club fitting. After my club fitting I put my Callaway glove in the box with my shoes. I had the box sitting on the seat next to me on the bus ride out to the Hideaway. Someone needed the seat and asked if they could put them in the overhead bin, I said sure and off we went to the desert. That was the last I thought about them until we got back to the hotel after Al's house.

Feeling fine after a great time at Al's I was getting my backpack ready for Wednesdays round and could not find the glove I wore at the fitting. Oh yeah, I put it in my shoe box. A feeling of dread rushed over me as I realized my mistake. I was thinking the charter bus dropped us off at the hotel and drove off into the night never to be seen again. In a panic I ripped open the curtains and saw the bus parked behind the hotel. Feeling relieved I fell asleep but it was nice to have them back in my hands the next morning.

I wore the Legends on Thursday with no discomfort at all. It is rare for a new pair of leather shoes to be comfortable with no break in. I do not have more to add about the performance at this point and my Grandaddy teammates have done a great job with that in the posts above. They cleaned up perfect with a little soap and water. I love the classic style with modern performance. I will put them to work in the coming weeks and post back in this thread with how they perform.

Back