Well we did it and everything works surprisingly hahah. I haven't built a a pc in about 15 years so it was fun to do it together and he is happy as can be. The only area we skimped on was the video card because he really wants the 3070 when it drops at the end of the month but needed something to hold him over for now. Even picked up a pretty sweet 27" curved monitor.

Here is what we went with

AMD AMD RYZEN 7 3700X WRAITHP
MICROSOFT WIN HOME 10 32-BIT/64BIT
WD 1TB WD BLUE SN550 NVME
MSI GTX 1660 GAMING X 6G
NZXT KRAKEN Z73 LIQUID COOLER
GIGABYTE B550 AORUS ELITE ATX
G.SKILL 32GB 2X16 D4 3200 TRZ RGB
G.SKILL 850w 80plus Gold power supply
AOC 27" LED C27G1 MONITOR/G
RAZER MAMBA ELITE
DUCKY MECHANICAL ONE 2 MINI

And this is what it looks like installed, its pretty cool actually. Its a little big because of the case he wanted but I had we had fun, so much so I think I'm going to build a mini one for myself at a much cheaper price

View attachment 8969416

Awesome Job! I have parts coming in for a build in the next week or 2. I’m excited. It will be my third. Enjoy it!

Good looking rig, but if that radiator is front mounted you might want to to put the hoses at the bottom or you could get some pump whining in a couple months. Again nice looking system. Nice parts as well.
Can you explain what you mean about the hoses? On the bottom of the pump or the bottom of the radiator?

Question for those in the know. My son's computer is running great, he skimped on the video card initially because the one he wanted wasn't out yet. Well, its still not available and now he is running a dual 144hz monitor setup and is complaining his video card can't keep up. He has a 1660 wanted a 3060 or 3070 originally but like I said, still not possible.

Looking for any suggestions that won't break the bank for Christmas...

Would a 5600 or 5700XT suffice or would that just be wasting money?

Question for those in the know. My son's computer is running great, he skimped on the video card initially because the one he wanted wasn't out yet. Well, its still not available and now he is running a dual 144hz monitor setup and is complaining his video card can't keep up. He has a 1660 wanted a 3060 or 3070 originally but like I said, still not possible.

Looking for any suggestions that won't break the bank for Christmas...

Would a 5600 or 5700XT suffice or would that just be wasting money?

From this page, looks like a 5600/5700 series would give him a 50% -ish boost. I think their reviews are solid.

Welp...my son got in line at the local computer store this morning at 5:30 AM :oops: and was 25th in line. I joined him at 7am and we were able to snag the 3070 he wanted for his computer. Merry Christmas :ROFLMAO:

The line ended up being about 100 deep or more. I am in shock how many people want these graphics cards. Even more in shock many of them were picking up the 3080 which carries a price tag of $900 :oops::oops:

Welp...my son got in line at the local computer store this morning at 5:30 AM :oops: and was 25th in line. I joined him at 7am and we were able to snag the 3070 he wanted for his computer. Merry Christmas :ROFLMAO:

The line ended up being about 100 deep or more. I am in shock how many people want these graphics cards. Even more in shock many of them were picking up the 3080 which carries a price tag of $900 :oops::oops:
Nice grab! Does he have to wait until Christmas or is it getting installed today?

Maybe he is building you a golf simulator?

Maybe he is building you a golf simulator?
Haha I WISH

Nice grab! Does he have to wait until Christmas or is it getting installed today?
No I'm not making him wait. He rushed home to put it in. He knows he's not getting much under the tree but he doesn't care.

No I'm not making him wait. He rushed home to put it in. He knows he's not getting much under the tree but he doesn't care.
That's awesome! I hope he enjoys it. I know those have been really hard to come by since they launched. I have heard some good things on that card. Should be a powerful rig now.

That's awesome! I hope he enjoys it. I know those have been really hard to come by since they launched. I have heard some good things on that card. Should be a powerful rig now.
Yeah it will be pretty sweet now. He's got just about everything he needs at this point. Streaming stuff is probably next but he's going to have to wait awhile haha

Congrats to him those things are almost worth half their weight in gold right now.

I was in a computer store line for customer builds earlier in the week and the same thing. I went in asking about a certain headphone and the guy said Oh, no that is gone before we even get them in. Crazy how those computer items go so fast. lol

I was in a computer store line for customer builds earlier in the week and the same thing. I went in asking about a certain headphone and the guy said Oh, no that is gone before we even get them in. Crazy how those computer items go so fast. lol

i keep hearing how things will level out with pc parts...and they never really do

They will level out eventually if you're talking about inventory or pricing. The scalpers just suck right now

I'm just happy I got my hands on a 5600x and 3080 FTW3 ultra

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Last edited:
They will level out eventually if you're talking about inventory or pricing. The scalpers just suck right now

I'm just happy I got my hands on a 5600x and 3080 FTW3 ultra

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

tariffs just bumped prices back up :cautious:

I just started to order all my parts in, which would have cost me $800 3 months ago if I could have found the parts will now cost close to $1300.

my son decided to pull apart his rig that i built and killed the mobo and cpu...i replaced those for him but told him if the vid card went bad, he was on his own :ROFLMAO:

A few weeks ago someone had posted about things people may not know about you and the fact that one of them was never building a PC besides building an 8 bit computer (RISC cpu design and obviously for school. Think the only thing it could end up doing was basic calculations) and was for on FPGA.

I thought to myself. I had some parts already, namely a gpu laying underutilized, and it's time to correct this.

I ended up going for a sub 20L case with the cooler master nr200. It actually fits nicely on the desk and was a good compromise from the even smaller Ncase M1 that has had my attention.

Since I didn't want my parents to disown me for building with AMD, I found a 10900k for a very good price. This part is complete overkill for my computer needs but seeing what 11th gen looks like it seems that the 10900k and 10850k are decent buys if you want to choose intel. If budget is more a concern a 10600k or 10400 would work fine for gaming only and the 10700k is more or less a rebadged 9900k. Going to 9th gen could also save some money. AMD zen3 is extremely impressive, but stock is non-existent.

Cooling the CPU I went with an AIO. The nr200p can support a 280mm radiator and I went that route. Air cooling the 10900k in that small of case seemed unlikely and the aio has temps very much under control even with a slight overclock.

GPU is the founders edition 2080Ti. It fits easily into the case and I think the firesales these were going for prior to 30 series release was pretty solid. Some of my friends picked these up for $500. The 3070 is the same price at msrp, but the reduced vram is a concern for some AAA gaming and I think the 3070 will get a refresh because of it.

After a bunch of stability testing, it's stable and sitting on the desk. Now I want a new monitor. Laptop can go back downstairs to drive the golf simulator.

Overall I found this process extremely fun and I learned quite a bit. I'll probably get an ncase m1 and do a custom loop for my next build, but I think that build won't happen until the next generation GPUs come out in 2+ years.

my son decided to pull apart his rig that i built and killed the mobo and cpu...i replaced those for him but told him if the vid card went bad, he was on his own :ROFLMAO:
Seriously. GPUs are just non existent right now. That was the biggest fear on my build was that my GPU wouldn't work.

Seriously. GPUs are just non existent right now. That was the biggest fear on my build was that my GPU wouldn't work.
I found a 3090 on the shelf at micro center yesterday but it was a water cooling setup. I felt like I spotted a unicorn.

i was gonna upgrade mine but saw the prices and said "f that, i can get a new driver..." :ROFLMAO:

i was gonna upgrade mine but saw the prices and said "f that, i can get a new driver..." :ROFLMAO:
That’s where I am at. As much as I would love to build a bad ass gaming machine, prices and availability of hardware is so astronomical right now that I’d rather spend my money on 1 million other things.

I won't be much help on advice for golf around here for a good while I would imagine. However, I have gotten into building computers recently if anybody needs any advice. Not an expert by any means but I have put a good amount of time in over the last year tinkering with my own builds and have built probably a half dozen for other people.
What's the best way to retrieve photos from a compromised hard drive. I did open the hard drive to try and make it operational. I was not in a clean room, is the photos still retrievable?

Back