That’s where I am at. As much as I would love to build a bad ass gaming machine, prices and availability of hardware is so astronomical right now that I’d rather spend my money on 1 million other things.

I hadn't looked at hardware lately, so this got me curious. I built this system in 2019, and while the CPU price hasn't moved much, the motherboard is over $200 more than what I paid 18 months ago.

I hadn't looked at hardware lately, so this got me curious. I built this system in 2019, and while the CPU price hasn't moved much, the motherboard is over $200 more than what I paid 18 months ago.
It's pretty bad. GPUs are near impossible to find - even stuff that's a generation or two old. CPUs come and go - AMDs 3xxx are hit or miss, but seem to be more available than a month ago, but the latest 5xxx series are extremely scarce despite being out for some time now. Even certain MB chipsets are hard to come by. The 570 series chipset was hard to find. Fortunately the 450 and 550 was fairly common and priced well. About the only thing that seems to be readily available is RAM and at cheap prices.

It's pretty bad. GPUs are near impossible to find - even stuff that's a generation or two old. CPUs come and go - AMDs 3xxx are hit or miss, but seem to be more available than a month ago, but the latest 5xxx series are extremely scarce despite being out for some time now. Even certain MB chipsets are hard to come by. The 570 series chipset was hard to find. Fortunately the 450 and 550 was fairly common and priced well. About the only thing that seems to be readily available is RAM and at cheap prices.
GPUs are real bad right now. Some cards from previous gens are even selling above msrp even used.

CPUs are only bad on AMD side. Intel has stock right now.

RAM is cheap. PSUs are kinda crappy for stock if you want SFX.

@M2Giles - Our Microcenter has shelves full of PSUs under 700 watts, but once you get above that, the stock is hit or miss. So if you have a power hungry GPU, forget about it. What is in stock is usually the $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ units that no one can afford.:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

@M2Giles - Our Microcenter has shelves full of PSUs under 700 watts, but once you get above that, the stock is hit or miss. So if you have a power hungry GPU, forget about it. What is in stock is usually the $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ units that no one can afford.:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
Pretty much. 450 sff is in stock. 600 is kinda hit or miss.

But like you said that 700 transition point just goes no stock. I get that Nvidia and AMD are both recommending 750+ now, but unless your use case somehow is over clocking both your cpu and gpu and using at the same time you'll need those 750+ units. But I have a slight overclock on both my CPU and GPU and haven't had an issue yet. I think I might be able to stress the 600w psu if I try stress testing both the gpu and Cpu at the same time.

I built a PC right before all of the New GPUs came out with a 2070 Super.

It works for my needs, but I will definitely look to upgrade to a 3070 when prices come back down to earth.

That makes sense - I have an AMD Ryzen 3700X CPU and a mobo with the 570 chipset. I've been running it for about 17 months now and it has been a very stable, fast system.

Back