This was me up until a few years ago... my last build is still sitting next to me but I haven't powered it up much lately. Seems I'm all about the portability these days. I used to remote into my desktop when on the road but now it seems to much trouble when I can just grab the macbook and have everything with me wherever I go.
I've never looked into trying to build my own laptop before. Is it even cost-effective these days?
I don’t know but seriously doubt it

I am adding an M.2 to my current laptop. My current HDD is a little slow so if I can't make my computer feel a little faster.

Been away from the building for a bit, that may change soon. Miss PC gaming and photo editing so a build may commence soon. Looking at the spec of some of these newer aged PC ‘s getting a good grasp on what I will need going forward. On the graphic side looks like the technology really upgraded a quick rate over the past 4-8 years.

Didn't know this thread existed! I work for a company that assembles custom PC's. I have built literally thousands of them over the years. I don't work on the assembly side of it anymore, but think I could do it in my sleep yet. The downside to working with computers all day is that I have literally zero interest in them when I am off the clock. Considered trying my hand at PC gaming (PS4 user) but don't think I would actually spend any time playing to make it worth the investment.

But, I am willing to help if any THPer happens to have any questions on how-to or even just some input on certain components. I will say that we are an Intel and Windows shop, so if you are talking AMD, I don't have much input there.

I build all the PCs here for the small engineering firm I work for. This website is a great tool to see costs and options. https://pcpartpicker.com/ Ours need to be pretty beefed up to run AutoCad Civil 3D.

I build all the PCs here for the small engineering firm I work for. This website is a great tool to see costs and options. https://pcpartpicker.com/ Ours need to be pretty beefed up to run AutoCad Civil 3D.
Nothing quite like the sticker shock of over priced video cards designed for 3D / CAD / design apps ... oh and server CPUs if you have to go that route ... oh and ECC DIMMs ... o_O

been building PCs on and off for about 17 years...surprisingly easy and fun to do. recently built 2 to upgrade my photo editing system and the gaming system...

Finally got mine together. Basically waited til NewEgg Black Friday for some good deals. I'm still on Win 10 Pro 64 bit but did a clean install with the Window Media Creation tool and made a bootable USB since I have no DVD Burner. Also had a Microsoft Account linked to my old PC so I was able to transfer my license over to the new build no problem

This is my first MicroATX build and my hands are big so it was not fun at times. However, I don't really use all the extra PCI slots anyway and wanted something a bit smaller. This is also the first build I did cable management on and not just tuck it all below the DVD burner like I used to. That took time but well worth it.

Thanks to Fairwaynut for the Ryzen cpu and the video card was from a buddy at work as commission for a stock tip.

Coolermaster Q300L case w/ 4 120mm fans
AsRock B450m Pro4 Motherboard
Ryzen 2700x CPU
EVGA 980 GTX
Crucial Ballistic 16GB DDR4 RAM 3200
256GB TeamForce SSD
1TB Western Digital HDD
Gammax DeepCool 300 CPU cooler
Seasonic Focus Gold 650w PSU

I still need to get a new monitor and probably will sometime after the new year.

Last edited:
Nice!!

I recently completed my latest build which has a Ryzen 3900x with a Gigabyte x570 Ultra motherboard. OS HDD us a Samsung 500gb Me. I've got 16 Gb of G.Skill DDR-3600 and a Zotac 2070 RTX video card in the computer. Case is a Corsair Obsidian 500D. :)

So Christmas time I built my new system and my old rig is still viable. Phenom 955 black edition, 8GB Ram, 2 HD's, GTX 460 video card. My neighbor was interested so for 50 bucks I said I'll toss Linux on their and its yours. Read good stuff on Ubuntu Gamepack and it turned into a giant pile of crap. Slow, stuff didn't work, and even though it had all this gaming stuff pre-installed It was just a turd. Decided to use Mint 64bit and I've got to say that that is one nice OS. Much faster, cleaner, organized better. If anyone is looking for a Linux distro that's similar to Windows its pretty sweet.

I built mine a year or two ago. Shocked me how easy it was.

how much do you think you saved vs buying one ordered to spec?

Funny this popped up. My son has decided to give up the Xbox and start gaming on PC. He is planning on building his own and has picked out his components already. This should be fun :ROFLMAO:

Has anyone managed to snag one of the new GPU's that were just released? Sounds like the sneaker bots have migrated over to computer components and gaming consoles now. Pre-ordering has been a nightmare for all of it.

how much do you think you saved vs buying one ordered to spec?
Easily hundreds, and I didn't even max out.

The nicest part about building is that you get to pick your product and manufacturer. It's great.

The nicest part about building is that you get to pick your product and manufacturer. It's great.
Thats what convinced my son to do it. He has everything picked out based on not only performance but color too :LOL:. I can't believe how much graphics cards cost!!:oops:

Thats what convinced my son to do it. He has everything picked out based on not only performance but color too :LOL:. I can't believe how much graphics cards cost!!:oops:
What are you looking at? Wait for the 3070 to be available. It's only 500 bucks and is stronger than a 2080 which is wild.

I'm still operating on two gens back, the 1070ti and it's awesome. 3070 obliterates it.. and is cheaper than mine was brand new lmao

This is one of my favorite things. Built my first one in 1998 (prior to that I was constantly modifying/upgrading the prebuilt one we had at home). Have been building mine ever since. Its far easier than most people realize and I just love being able to build it exactly as I'd like.

Right now I'm running three at home that I've built, my daily driver / gamer and two servers.

I remember my first 3D card - Diamond Monster 3D with 4 megabytes of memory. It was bad ass.

What are you looking at? Wait for the 3070 to be available. It's only 500 bucks and is stronger than a 2080 which is wild.

I'm still operating on two gens back, the 1070ti and it's awesome. 3070 obliterates it.. and is cheaper than mine was brand new lmao
That still blows my mind. I don't have a gaming rig. But, part of me wants to throw one together to try. The thing is, I can buy a console that I would be perfectly happy with for the cost of the video card alone.

Wait you could have built this beast I got for the tech studio? :LOL:

Wait you could have built this beast I got for the tech studio? :LOL:
Yes, I could have. We discussed this hahaha

If I remember correctly, you immediately hit the internet the second you realized it could be there faster than I could hahaha

Yep those are his exact words haha. He has done his research. He's looking at the RTX 3070

Yes, I could have. We discussed this hahaha

If I remember correctly, you immediately hit the internet the second you realized it could be there faster than I could hahaha

Back