Custom Fitting at Ball Golf

TrueFX

Reaction score
Handicap
I've got a custom fitting with a company called "Ball Golf" in Oklahoma City this Friday.

The main thing that I am going in for is to get some new shafts in my irons. I'm currently using Project X 6.0 Flighted shafts that I found at Demo Day 2012. The ball flight with these irons tends to get too high. I love watching it, but any wind at all will cause my distances to become very unpredictable. I'm really looking forward to my first high tech fitting outdoors. Telling me my ball flight is "X" while watching it on a computer screen after I hit into a net really doesn't tell me anything.

The owner, Steve Ball, seems like a down to earth guy that truly enjoys what he's doing.

Check out his website for some background on him if you are interested. (not very flashy)
http://ballgolf.com/ballgolf/home.html

He also sent me an e-mail telling me what to expect. I really like his approach and honesty :

"The number one goal here is to find clubs that give you the best chance of enjoying your game more. We can do that. The second most important thing for me is to earn your trust. I will give you 100% honest answers to the best of my ability and I will never allow you to buy a club that will not fit your needs. GUARANTEED!

1) Don't hesitate to ask questions. Some parts of the fitting process may seem somewhat technical. I can explain anything you are not sure about. I have a lot of information on my website - Ballgolf.com about club fitting.

2) By having your clubs properly fitted you will eliminate the variable of the equipment causing you to hit bad shots. If you are still having problems with your shots you will then know it is something with your swing and then you can address that through lessons. We may very well discuss some swing tips during this fitting session.

3) Part of the fitting process may require your input and decision making. How a club feels and how it looks to you are an important part of the process. And only the player can make those types of decisions. Every thing else I can determine for you.

4) Keep this in mind about the multitude of golf club variables. There is almost an unlimited number of choices I have with which to fit you. For example .... a few grams of weight difference in a shaft, a single swing weight point ( which is equal to the weight of two one dollar bills!!) , a few tenths of degree of torque in a shaft... I can answer every question you might have or I can at least call the manufacturer and their engineers to get the answer. HOWEVER, keep this in mind -- "Does this variable I am concerned with going to have a significant affect on my ball flight?" For instance, why worry about a few grams of weight in a shaft or a swing weight point or two. Is that small a difference going to affect my shots? Probably not. However, if there were two degrees of difference in lie angle that would be significant. Two degrees of lie angle will influence the ball 20 feet off line!! That is significant as far as I'm concerned. I will address all of those types of variables. "

I will post a report this weekend.

Looking forward to the feedback.

Definitely looking forward to the feedback. Oklahoma may be a long trip, but I am sure I could stop in while traveling to a THP event!

I was looking at the ball golf center for a fitting as well about a year or so ago (have not made it to a fitting at all yet) as he was the closest fitter in the golf digest list (can't remember if it was top 50 or 100). Then I joined THP and am perplexed on where to go as I visited the golftec in north OKC and was very impressed but have yet to visit the ball golf center, so will be anxious to hear your feedback of the experience.

Very cool. Looks like an interesting place. Look forward to hearing how your fitting goes!

I like it when trainers and fitters are really into their job and actually care for the person. I was at the driving range at Bethpage and there was a guy being trained by the head pro there and from what I was watching, he seemed more like Chubbs from Happy Gilmore with that woman than an instructor.

Very much looking forward to a follow up post about how your experience was.

Enjoy your fitting. Looking forward to hearing what comes out of it.

Reading that about lie angle and how it can affect ball flight really has me wanting to get an in depth fitting done now. Can't wait to hear more

Was just wondering how the fitting went? Any words of advice for anybody in proximity?

Back