Custom fitting off-season - experiences?

Barnum1

Reaction score
Handicap
Hi,

I'm in the market for new irons this year.
As the golf courses where I live typically opens in April, my plan was to get fitted May-ish when I had a few rounds in me.

Now, two things have made me reconsider:
1) Delivery times have gone up very much lately. I've read about up to two months for Mizuno for example
That may mean July delivery. (And if I will be going for Mizuno MP-20, there is probably a new generation out two months later.)
2) I have been hitting a lot of golf balls at an indoor golf centre this winter, and hitting the irons really well.
Even better than in the summer, according to Trackman.

Also, the fitters around here only offer custom fitting of mats indoors, so the setting will be the same regardless of time of year.

Would be interesting to hear from the forum about good and bad experiences from custom fitting off-season!

The only downside I see to an off-season fitting is that your swing could be quite rusty, but it sounds to me like you've been avoiding that.

Now that most of the manufacturers have revealed their 2021 releases I wouldn't hesitate to go through the fitting process now, get your order in and have your new sticks when the season opens in April.

I literally got fitted this week for a new driver. I’ve been going once a week to either an indoor range or simulator session. As long as you’ve been swinging go for it. They’ll give you time to warm up as well. Piece of advice....wear a short sleeve polo under some outer active gear. You will get hot, and need to shed those long sleeves.

So, custom fitting done! Can't say that off-season affected the result, and if PING delivers as they say, I will have my clubs before April :)

Back