Custom Project X Shaft Review Thread

JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
A group of THPers got to experience the one of a kind event known as The HandCrafted Experience. They got to create their shaft from scratch, roll it themselves and even design the look. This thread will serve as host for their pictures and thoughts of the finished product as they receive them.

In car, quick sneak peak...
9db78a3102e9b2bd918b9158b04cdc9f.jpg

My #HandCraftedExperience Design Story:

From the moment this event was posted I was super intrigued. Actually, in my 3+ years on THP I had never been more interested in an event. I mean, fly out to Project X Headquarters in San Diego and make my own golf shaft! And to top it all off, the event was occurring during my summer break! As a teacher it is very difficult to take time off during the school year. I knew I had to apply to this event. I had some ideas in my head but didn't want to get ahead of myself. Fast forward to the day the lucky 7 were announced and to my complete shock there it was; "StanTheCaddy" on the list of names selected to this event. I couldn't of been more excited and immediately I knew what I wanted my golf shaft to look like. It was going to be a white base, with little NY Yankees and NO Saints logos on top. Done. End of story, now I just need the specs. Then a question was asked in the thread and it hit me, I couldn't use trademarked logos. Uh oh, guess I was going to have to go to the drawing board and reach into my creative side. I only knew two things; it was going to have a white base, and it had to involve the Saints and Yankees.

Got to work on Photoshop immediately and created probably the best Photoshop design I've ever made. It was the Manhattan skyline in Yankee pinstripes except the Empire State Building which was in black and gold, exactly how it was when the Saints won the Super Bowl. It looked perfect on my computer. Resized it a little so it would fit on a golf shaft and hit the print button. Ugh, it was to small and impossible to tell what it was. Awesome design, great idea but not going to work on a golf shaft. Toss that idea away and back to square one.

Next, I thought I'd make my own logos. A fleur de lis is a common symbol, I'll make my own and put it in Saints colors. Off to Photoshop I went. Made a great fleur de lis that came out better than I thought it would. Made one in black and another in gold. I was set, now what to do to get the Yankees in there? Uhhhhhhhhh, hmmmmmmmm, nothing. Every idea I had wasn't working. I didn't like anything I made that had to do with the Yankees.

Then I thought to myself; I would never get a tatoo but if I was absolutely forced to I always said I'd go with a shamrock. I'm 100% Irish and it's a symbol that really represents a lot of things about me. Plus, it never hurts to have the symbol for the luck of the Irish! So I got back to work on Photoshop and created a shamrock in pinstripes. BOOM. I loved it! Resized it and made it so it'd fit on a shaft and it was perfect. So perfect that I decided to see what one in black and gold would look like. Created it, printed it out and I knew I had my design. Shamrocks in Yankees and Saints colors on a white shaft!

But the design wasn't done. Now I needed to get the little details ironed out. I wanted to have my name, when it was made and the specs. I had a general idea but these weren't going to be fully decided until I got to Project X.

Fast forward to #HandCraftedExperience. I sit down with O'Neil to design the graphics on my shaft. DB had already done an amazing job locking in my specs. O'Neil had my shamrocks that were sent to him and a drawing of what I wanted the shaft to look like. First thing was deciding on the colors of "Project X" and "HandCrafted for." I was thinking black and gold and once O'Neil put those colors in on his computer it was perfect. That meant the born on date on the opposite side was going to be in Yankee blue. O'Neil's font made and the blue were exactly what I wanted.

Then came the specs towards the tip. I loved how the HandCrafted LZ had the specs on the tip, especially when it was a different color like the Grandaddy shafts. I loved that look and knew I wanted the specs at the tip in a different color. I went basic and safe and stuck with black.

Last, I needed the THP logo on here. After some thought I thought it would be perfect if it was right after the "Created on 8-21-15" It was almost like an exclamation point and without THP, there is no creation date for me. O'Neil put it there and the design was done. You can always put designs on computers and paper but you never know how it's going to turn out.

Well today when I got home from work there was a nice package waiting at the door. I knew right away what it was. I ran inside and tore it open. Pulled it out and WOW!!! It was even better than I ever imagined. The white base really allowed the designs to pop. The shamrocks and colors in them were spot and. And seeing my name on a golf shaft was such a surreal feeling. And last, seeing that THP logo and the "Created on 8-21-15" was the perfect way to top off the shaft. Without THP, none of this is possible. Threw the shaft in my 815 and am absolutely in love with how the club looks. It was amazing to see a vision come to reality with the help of the amazing people at Project X. Thank you so much Project X and THP.

Anyways, I just wanted to share my design story with you guys. Below is a picture of the club at address. Will have many, many more coming. Also, playing both Saturday and Sunday so I'll have plenty of thoughts on the performance. Thanks you again THP and Project X for the #HandCraftedExperience!

Oh hell yes. That is AWESOME. Congrats Tim!

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

Beautiful shaft Tim. And a fantastic write-up about how you came up with your design.

Wow that came out awesome buddy. I certainly could do without the pin stripes tho.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

That looks real good Tim.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wow that came out awesome buddy. I certainly think the pinstripes make the shaft even more awesome.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

FIFY :D

The graphics came out amazing. Even with the Yankee nonsense. Really great.

That looks awesome! I love everyone's personal touch and cant wait to see more

I got a message from DB saying that there was an issue with the grip on my shaft, so it will be arriving a day late.
Tim - Looks great! Glad you got yours first, as you clearly carried our team to victory over the other three teams!! Sand bagging 38 on the front on your own ball is worthy of the first shaft (insert funny joke here...)!!!

I got a message from DB saying that there was an issue with the grip on my shaft, so it will be arriving a day late.
Tim - Looks great! Glad you got yours first, as you clearly carried our team to victory over the other three teams!! Sand bagging 38 on the front on your own ball is worthy of the first shaft (insert funny joke here...)!!!

No way buddy, we won that as a team! Can't wait to see how yours turned out!

STC...thst is an incredible shaft despite your choices of fandom for display��

im really looking forward to seeng these shafts, and the story behind the design is a cool touch.

STC...thst is an incredible shaft despite your choices of fandom for display��

im really looking forward to seeng these shafts, and the story behind the design is a cool touch.
Hey, don't dis the Saints!!!
Yankees, you can dis all day, tho.

Great start and I really like what you did and how you incorporated everything you love in a great design.

Great story as to how you came up with the designs.

I may have jumped the gun in the previous thread so I will re-post here. I received a PM from Don saying to expect my shaft in a couple of hours so I waited and listened closely for any loud trucks. I heard the doorbell ring and I jumped up and ran to the door. Good thing I was there quickly cause he left it where the sprinklers were spraying it. I immediately noticed "The Alliance" under my name. Don, seeing my Rebel Alliance tattoo from Star Wars asked why I didn't do a Star Wars themed shaft. I didn't want to get Project X in trouble so I kept that to myself but Don felt a one off shaft would be fine. Next time for sure buddy!

Being and old high school Goth and appreciating minimal music and art I knew my shaft would be predominantly my favorite color black and I wanted a large Project X and THP logos as a small gesture to say thank you for the opportunity. What is really cool is the THP logo is very faint until you get into the sun and it really jumps at you. It's not apparent in the pictures but there is a metallic coating that also stands out only when in the sun. Despite the minimalist approach in the sun there is a lot going on and it looks great.

The Alliance (formed by Galen Marek despite what you've seen in Star Wars Rebels)

767A143E-957D-4C43-B1AB-A14314E8F4BC_zps881lhqld.jpg

THP logos fade into the Project X logo.

73D9B0F1-7DE7-49D4-9D2F-3CD4BB731F2F_zpskrhonxtw.jpg

B7D8404E-5D4E-41D0-B649-3C9E38C7CC11_zpsnsrzmuba.jpg

Project X logo

6495DB87-24CF-4BDA-BE2C-EFFDC1B52394_zpsrvqhenc3.jpg

My specs

050EFCC6-BFBA-4390-9FFA-2C860D7CF8EB_zpsukb8wahl.jpg

Completed club

D099049B-5425-4FFE-9A41-5B1323040CDA_zpscftzvyjh.jpg

787481F3-CE28-4567-8C57-2A27AD075E30_zpsfodebxie.jpg

Last edited:
Tim - Love the thought process behind designing the shaft and the end product is fantastic - even with the pinstripes.. :)

Stan the Caddy's is sweet. It REALLY came out well and not caring about baseball I'm okay with the Yankee stuff. Can't wait to see the others.

These shafts are turning out great and love to see the creativity put into these.

Congrats guys & well done.

Looks great so far guys, can't wait to see the rest of them.

These are looking so sweet! Love the back stories on the designs. Keep this pics coming guys!

Those two shafts so far came out fantastic!

Back