custom putter maker aficianados?

He's speaking pay to play "prize pools" rather than sponsorship to a brand.

I assumed the larger companies offered "per event money" , such as TM paying $5,000 to any player with a TM driver in his bag for the tournament's opening round, or Titleist paying $2,000 per event to any player with a Cameron in his bag that week.
What is a "prize pool"?

Kingston does make quality putters from what I have seen/heard about them.

Byron will have the occasional issue but typically does excellent work as does lajosi and lamont.

For years, off and on I've tried to order a custom Mills putter but not been able to get it done.

For years, off and on I've tried to order a custom Mills putter but not been able to get it done.

David mills makes really pretty putters, but I have never tried to get one. I have heard it takes a bit due to demand and how often he actually creates/offers the putters.

Every six months or so I send an inquiry to David Mills. He usually replies immediately, asking which head model I want. I reply an answer to him and then he usually writes "I will check my inventory and get back to you". But I don't hear from him again until I six months later, when I send him another email to start the process all over again. LOL.

Heres a perfect example I just saw on my Instagram feed.

Cherry bombs are off center horizontally and vertically. I highly doubt that was a customer request.
They should be ashamed of that, yet it will get sent out.
af95055b5de7802456ad69da57b97b5e.jpg
haha I noticed that too!!

Maybe it's the whole 'milled by hand' story that imperfect is fine for them.

Every six months or so I send an inquiry to David Mills. He usually replies immediately, asking which head model I want. I reply an answer to him and then he usually writes "I will check my inventory and get back to you". But I don't hear from him again until I six months later, when I send him another email to start the process all over again. LOL.
Way too many great offerings out there to deal with that.

Heres a perfect example I just saw on my Instagram feed.

Cherry bombs are off center horizontally and vertically. I highly doubt that was a customer request.
They should be ashamed of that, yet it will get sent out.
af95055b5de7802456ad69da57b97b5e.jpg

Yea, but canadan liked it, so it's good to go.

Also - any chance something like that design flaw HAS to be done to avoid litigation? I'd have to think SC has a pretty good case for that design, but then again no idea how that might work in terms of IP.

I guess that is a personal decision for a buyer to make. I will continue

Yes and no. I mean David Mills mostly makes the round neck blade style putter his late father came to be known for, and I think Byron Morgan is best known for his Anser style heads, Lajosi seems especially competent at doing fancy engravings etc.... So I think if a person wants a particular style of custom putter he may want to to buy from the maker who specializes in producing the same thing.
Certainly the majority of people would agree with your comment of "way too many great offerings out there to deal with that". But not everybody. and I guess that is why particular putter makers do get the business they do.
If you were to buy a custom putter which style head, neck, , weight, alignment features etc... might you want ?

I guess that is a personal decision for a buyer to make. I will continue

Yes and no. I mean David Mills mostly makes the round neck blade style putter his late father came to be known for, and I think Byron Morgan is best known for his Anser style heads, Lajosi seems especially competent at doing fancy engravings etc.... So I think if a person wants a particular style of custom putter he may want to to buy from the maker who specializes in producing the same thing.
Certainly the majority of people would agree with your comment of "way too many great offerings out there to deal with that". But not everybody. and I guess that is why particular putter makers do get the business they do.
If you were to buy a custom putter which style head, neck, , weight, alignment features etc... might you want ?
I think all of those samples are underwhelming for one thing or another, particularly their face milling presentation.

For me? I'd go for James or Olson long before any of those three.

I think all of those samples are underwhelming for one thing or another, particularly their face milling presentation.

For me? I'd go for James or Olson long before any of those three.
Theres no milled putter on the planet that feels like a Mills.

well, if you can't get them to respond......
I’ve never had an issue with David. Former employees of his, yes, but not him.

Truly a legendary brand, and rightfully so.

I still have two of mine and eye another Fleetwood often.

Back