Custom shafts for wedges

Goody1214

Reaction score
How important is it to match your wedge shafts to your iron shafts? I recently had a club fitter tell me it is very important. I know he is trying to make a sale so want to get more opinions. I'm 48 years old and a 12 handicap.

How important is it to match your wedge shafts to your iron shafts? I recently had a club fitter tell me it is very important. I know he is trying to make a sale so want to get more opinions. I'm 48 years old and a 12 handicap.

Depends on the person. I dont match mine. Some do, some dont. It will depend on how you use your wedges, and with the length being the shortest in the bag, how much difference one would actually see.

I don't match. I have found zero difference between using stock S200, Recoil, Steel Fiber, S400, and x100. For me, distance is the same, ball flight is the same. So I focus on what the shaft looks like more than anything else.

Definitely don’t decide by looks. You’d just want to hit the stock shaft and if they recommend something else you’ll want to compare the results - they should tell the real story plus if you can see ball flight then that helps too. If they can give you an answer and you see different go with what works best taking budget into account. I’m a 2 handicap and 38. Play competitive and I was just told go with the stock shaft in Callaway md5. Surprising but I’m taking the recommendation lol. Driver speed 108 btw so it’s not how fast it’s how good they work for you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have Recoils (graphite) in both of my iron sets and similarly Recoils in my wedges as well, albeit different weight/model. Historically haven’t played same shafts in irons and wedges.

Mine don’t match my irons, but they’re close, a little heavier in the wedges.

I have the Nippon Modus 105 in my irons and the DG S400 in my wedges

I’ve always played DG shafts in my wedges even when I played a slightly lighter KBS shaft in my irons and it didn’t seem to matter or change my index at all.

I have usually played stock shafts in my wedges. I would want something heavier than what is in my irons because I tend to hit the wedges too high anyway.

I don’t even have the same material in mine. My irons are graphite shafts half an inch long. My wedges are steel at standard length. I was fitted into both.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mine have never matched. My wedge shafts are heavier than my set shafts (95g vs 120g I think). I also don’t full swing my wedges. (54 and 58 degree. AW is a set wedge)

If you were fit, why wouldn't you trust the fitter? Did you see better results?

I prefer to play shafts of similar weight/flex as what is in my irons.

Back