Custom Wedge Grinding Question

tbf_Andretti

Reaction score
Handicap
I recently got a new set of SM8s, my lob wedge prior was an old as dirt Snake Eyes that I could hit every shot in the world with.
Is it possible to take my lob SM8 to a shop with my old snake eyes and have the SM8 grinded to the same specs as my Snake Eyes?

Thanks!

this reminds me of my 2006 cleveland 588 dynamic sole grind wedges, i love them, the soles on them i can not find in todays market. the shaping is very distinctive.

I recently got a new set of SM8s, my lob wedge prior was an old as dirt Snake Eyes that I could hit every shot in the world with.
Is it possible to take my lob SM8 to a shop with my old snake eyes and have the SM8 grinded to the same specs as my Snake Eyes?

Thanks!
Can you take a pic and post it of the Snake Eyes? Maybe we can hazard a guess as to which Vokey grind might be more like it?
Lotta grinds in that lineup.

I really like the grind of my original Cleveland RTX mid bounce wedges. Would love those with the most modern grooves possible.
I've been trying to drop hints to Cleveland like forever on such an option. :ROFLMAO::sleep:

I got fitted for the 12 bounce D grind, but I'd even be open to adding another wedge if this is possible or whatever for the types of shots I want to play with it if need be (I bag 2 putters for s***s and giggles right now). I have no idea anything about this club other than I can do anything with it but need a fresher wedge, was hoping I could custom mine.

IMG_1276.jpegIMG_1278.jpegIMG_1277.jpegIMG_1279.jpegIMG_1275.jpegIMG_1280.jpeg

Very round in shape. Are the vokeys still pretty tear drop shaped?
Plenty of bounce, but not an overly wide sole, overall. Not a lot of relief taken off the heel and toe.
The D is one I was thinking of checking out.

Any problem you're having with the D in particular? I liked that it had 12 degrees bounce is it? I bet there is more heel relief than you're used to?
Might have to play around with your shaft lean and setup a little to get used to it? Less bounce in the heel can get tricky.
Did you check out the K, I'm curious?

Edit: I see toes. :LOL:

I would check out the KZG forged wedges. I have returned to the KZG and I have several t***y wedges that came out of their tour van. The KZG's have the rounded shape with a straight leading edge.

I would be surprised if it was the sole that is causing any issues with the Vokey, if there are any issues. Is the weight the same, length the same, grip the same, shaft the same etc?

I would be surprised if it was the sole that is causing any issues with the Vokey, if there are any issues. Is the weight the same, length the same, grip the same, shaft the same etc?

the difference is I can lay the snake eyes completely flat or however I want and it will sit flush.

With the SM8 and almost all others I've tried, I feel like they don't lay flat/flush and it leaves the leading edge up

the difference is I can lay the snake eyes completely flat or however I want and it will sit flush.

With the SM8 and almost all others I've tried, I feel like they don't lay flat/flush and it leaves the leading edge up
I see Tampa and NYC as locations. Any correlations to the turf you are encountering presently?
Most higher bounce wedges even, like the D grind, have enough relief in the heel area to allow them to lay flatter, with maybe some trail edge relief to help them along. Unless you encounter just total hardpan, I'd think it to be pretty serviceable, overall?

I see Tampa and NYC as locations. Any correlations to the turf you are encountering presently?
Most higher bounce wedges even, like the D grind, have enough relief in the heel area to allow them to lay flatter, with maybe some trail edge relief to help them along. Unless you encounter just total hardpan, I'd think it to be pretty serviceable, overall?

nah, just playing in Florida

Looking only at your photos of the Snake Eyes wedge, there isn't a special grind and it has 12* of bounce. You're probably just used to the SE wedge vs the Vokey and others. Unless the photos are not telling the full story and there is a tremendous amount of heel/toe relief on the wedge.

Back