Cut Golf Ball Review Thread

JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
We recently sent out a whole bunch of Cut Golf Balls for review to THP Forum Members.
Both the Cut Grey and the DC dozens are on their way to Albatross Club Members that were selected.

This thread will be used for their reviews as they get to test them out.

Looking forward to the reviews. Cut is one brand I never find in the wild at my course.

Excited for this, always enjoy people’s reactions to Cut. They make a damn solid golf ball.

Tracking is showing mine, Cut Grey, as "Out for delivery" already! I might even get a chance to hit them this week.

Just got my Cut Grey delivered. And have my first tee time of the year scheduled for Friday!!!!!!! At $19.99 for a 3 piece ball, I am hoping these deliver as promised.
Cut Grey.JPG

These showed up here today too! Made a quick trip to my local course's practice area for a little short game work, comparing the Cut Grey with the Srixon Q-Star Tour. This should be a pretty good comparison, both are three piece, urethane cover, and similar compression ratings (Cut Grey = 80, QST = 72). I didn't get as much time with them as I wanted, the chipping green got busy before I had a chance to move very far back, and the practice green was just punched yesterday. Here are some photos, then I'll get into my first impressions:

Cut_Grey_01.jpg
Cut_Grey_02.jpg

So the packaging is a bit wordy, but that really doesn't matter to me, it's what's inside that counts. The Cut Grey is a good looking ball, I like their logo, the alignment aid is simple and straightforward for those that use them, which I don't, and the white is bright and looks good. The ball feels fine in hand, so for a ball that goes for $20 a dozen it certainly doesn't feel or look cheap.

The Cut Grey side-by-side with the Q-Star Tour:
Cut_Grey_03.jpg

Now for a quick trip to the practice area, Cut Grey vs QST. I started with some short chips from fairway cut, and my 55* wedge. On low bump and run type shots both balls feel very similar, and both check just a bit before rolling out as expected. Next some higher shots, flying them about ten yards, both still feel the same, and both stop pretty quick, within a foot or two of where they landed. Next I hit some with my 60* from light rough, carrying them about fifteen yards, and again performance was very similar between the two.
Performance in this brief comparison, I have to call it a tie.

Next was over to the practice green, and this was also brief because the green had just been punched. I hit putts with my Mizuno M-Craft VI, a milled face putter, anywhere from three feet to about twenty five feet. This is where I started to see a bit of difference between the two, The Cut Grey had a firmer feel, and the sound was a bit clicky, where the QST has a nicer sound and that feel that is soft but not mushy that I prefer. To be clear, the Cut Grey doesn't feel or sound bad, but when side-by-side with the QST they are clearly different. Performance was very similar, as far as I could tell under the conditions.
Performance in this brief comparison, I have to give the nod to the QST, but this is really a personal preference thing based on sound and feel, someone else might feel the opposite.

I might be playing 18 tomorrow, so hopefully I can give the Cut Grey a full workout. I'm really curious to see how it feels off the driver and irons, and if the course isn't too busy, I'll try for some more side-by-side comparisons.

Got my Cut Grey balls in the mail yesterday, hit the links today.
When comparing balls, I look for distance, spin, feel around the green, durability and price. Today, I played with 3 other seniors who all hit their drives about the same distance as I do, maybe a little less. I found no loss of distance at all with the Cut Greys compared to any other ball I’ve used. All my drives were consistently as long or longer than my playing partners. Spin rates were good on my pitches and chips, stopped well without running out unexpectedly. I played a Pro V1 yesterday and my putting feel with the Cut balls was just as good as the Titleist balls. At the end of the round, the ball showed no cuts or scuff marks even after playing the same ball the whole day. I think these balls could easily be my new regular ball. One minor advantage to playing them is because not many guys are playing these, you will very rarely confuse your ball with anyone else. Probably the biggest reason I’ll keep playing them because as a frugal golfer, I can buy two and a half dozen Cut Greys for the price of a single dozen Pro V1’s with no discernible drop off in performance. I give the Cut Grey golf balls 2 big thumbs up.
Thank you THP for the chance to review these.

Nice review @Scott F . Since I always seem to be the one buying the balls for me and my two sons golf game. That savings could really add up for me. Looking forward to Friday when I can test these out on the course.

Not a free tester as a result of the Cut Grey golf balls issued by THP - but I took my Cut Grey to the course for the maiden voyage... I found that the ball looks and feels good in hand and off the putter a bit hard, but kinda where i want it to be(thanks to extensive carpet putts indoors over the winter). On driver no loss in distance comparatively and feels like i am able to compress it, but honestly never noted any differences between balls in this department. Irons - Ball felt great and a bit of roll out from iron shots into the greens, however (could be conditions) a few spun back off the apron. On wedge shots from 115-70 ball settled gently with a small release but ultimately played well to the shot.

Played the ball throughout the round and honestly a quick wipe of the ball and it looks ready to go another 9. not cut/scratches on it.

Solid ball choice especially considering the price point. Awesome job by Cut.

Tee time set for tomorrow morning. Will be cold, windy and wet as it has been raining all day, so might not be the best conditions to test the DC

Greens are coming back and getting quick, so short game testing should be good.
Will report back.

Another outing with the Cut Grey today. I couldn't get on at the course I wamted to play, so ended up at one of my favorites, but a tough driving par 70 course. I didn't want to risk losing any of these on the first time out on the course, so I just used them on the six par-3s, and as a second ball on some approach shots. I was striking the ball better than normal today, and on those par-3s the Cut Grey felt great off the irons. I hit four of the six greens, and the ball reacted as I would expect for the club I was hitting. Two were wedges, and they hit and came back a foot or so, one was a 9-iron that stopped right by the ball mark, and one with an 8-iron that rolled out some. All of those were what I would expect for me with a good urethane covered three piece ball. I missed the green with another 8-iron and a 7-iron, but even those were well struck and carried the distance I expected.

Putting was fine, although the ball feels a bit firmer than my normal gamer, and is a bit clicky sounding. Of course those are subjective things, performance wise they roll just fine, and I had no problems with distance control.

I only used one ball, on six par-3s and a few other shots, and after cleaning it up it still looks really good. I honestly don't think durability is going to be an issue, but let's see how they do when hitting trees, cart paths, and out of bunkers, you know, the stuff that beats up any ball.

Next time out I'll use them for the whole round, and report on how they perform off the driver. So far this ball is head and shoulders above anything else I've played in its price range, and not far off from balls that cost significantly more.

Got the DC out today. It was wet and windy, so I really don't want to speak to performance today. What I do want to talk about is durability. And it isn't good news.

On the first hole, i put a bad swing on it and my second shot went wildly left and rolled down a dirt hill. Some damage, but I hit it in the sht. My fault.
20210401_091154.jpg

I'm thinking, yeah maybe a scuff...but there is a piece of the cover missing now. Ok. No big deal. I'll play it. Holes 2, 3 and 4 were ok. No more damage.
Hole 5, I absolutely smoke a drive but I never see it. @PackersGirl thinks she sees it fall so I go look over there, and I'm unable to find it.
I drop a new ball, and have about a 50-60 yard pitch. Perfect little nip and this was the result
20210401_092506.jpg
First strike on the ball, and it has a small cut on it. Okay. Found my original drive, played that ball for the rest of the front 9. No more damage.
Fast forward to hole 13. I put ball 2 back into play (picture above) and play the hole. First shot right, punch back to the fairway no additional damage.

I flush an 8 iron, walk up to the green and I'm greeted with this
20210401_132237.jpg
You can see my groove marks on the right side of the ball. But now there is a cut/hole in this cover.
I replace the ball with ball#3 which has never been hit, and finish the hole.

Hole 14, brand new ball. Hit a nice 5 wood into the middle of the fairway, pw finds the bunker.
Hogan pw grooves cut deep into the cover, no additional damage from the bunker shot.
20210401_132304.jpg

Ok #15, par 3. Hit a 50* off the tee and you can imagine what happened.

20210401_132307.jpg

I finished the last 3 holes with a snell I had in the bag.

These for sure deserve another go to look at performance, but this first sleeve was absolute garbage in the durability department

16172992836056765162120319322984.jpg

Looking forward to testing these out after I return from vacation! Nice fun coming home gift.

Yikes ... a lot of damage on those balls with so few strikes :eek:

3 hours to first tee time of the season for me, and equipped with my Cut Grey balls. Will be a little colder than I had hope (will be 40* when I tee off), but can't complain since its not raining and I'm playing golf. Playing with my two sons. the older one home this weekend from college. So will be a great day for me regardless of how I play!!!

These for sure deserve another go to look at performance, but this first sleeve was absolute garbage in the durability department

I didn’t get my Cut Grey balls as part of this THP testing effort, but I had the same experience with the one sleeve I’ve opened and have been hitting in my garage. First strike with a wedge just tears them up. Unfortunately, I bought a bunch of them. Fortunately, I suck enough at golf that the scuffs aren’t going to seriously affect my game anyway. Don’t think I’ll be buying them again though.

Very interested to hear everyone's thoughts. I could never produce enough spin with them, but curious to see if they made some updates in the recent couple years.

3 hours to first tee time of the season for me, and equipped with my Cut Grey balls. Will be a little colder than I had hope (will be 40* when I tee off), but can't complain since its not raining and I'm playing golf. Playing with my two sons. the older one home this weekend from college. So will be a great day for me regardless of how I play!!!

Play well! Looking forward to feedback.

are these new 2021? or old cuts? Target has the Blues at 20 bucks

Got the DC out today. It was wet and windy, so I really don't want to speak to performance today. What I do want to talk about is durability. And it isn't good news.

On the first hole, i put a bad swing on it and my second shot went wildly left and rolled down a dirt hill. Some damage, but I hit it in the sht. My fault.
View attachment 9000916

I'm thinking, yeah maybe a scuff...but there is a piece of the cover missing now. Ok. No big deal. I'll play it. Holes 2, 3 and 4 were ok. No more damage.
Hole 5, I absolutely smoke a drive but I never see it. @PackersGirl thinks she sees it fall so I go look over there, and I'm unable to find it.
I drop a new ball, and have about a 50-60 yard pitch. Perfect little nip and this was the result
View attachment 9000918
First strike on the ball, and it has a small cut on it. Okay. Found my original drive, played that ball for the rest of the front 9. No more damage.
Fast forward to hole 13. I put ball 2 back into play (picture above) and play the hole. First shot right, punch back to the fairway no additional damage.

I flush an 8 iron, walk up to the green and I'm greeted with this
View attachment 9000922
You can see my groove marks on the right side of the ball. But now there is a cut/hole in this cover.
I replace the ball with ball#3 which has never been hit, and finish the hole.

Hole 14, brand new ball. Hit a nice 5 wood into the middle of the fairway, pw finds the bunker.
Hogan pw grooves cut deep into the cover, no additional damage from the bunker shot.
View attachment 9000923

Ok #15, par 3. Hit a 50* off the tee and you can imagine what happened.

View attachment 9000924

I finished the last 3 holes with a snell I had in the bag.

View attachment 9000927
Giving “Cut” a whole new meaning. Do they feel that soft when you strike them?

Great day for a round of golf. Me and my 2 boys (one home from college) made our way out to the course today for our first round of the year. We tee'd off at 1:30pm. It was a bit chilly (don't think it hit 40* at any part of the afternoon). And at the high points of the course, there was a good steady wind.

I was given the Cut Grey ball to test. Not knowing how badly I would be hitting the first time out, I brought the whole dozen with me. Turns out I didn't need the whole lot. Playing the Cut Grey the whole round, I only lost 1 ball. Played the first one for the first 7 1/2 holes, and the second one for the remainder of the 18 hole round. The ball that survived the round had barely a nick on it. 2 small scuffs on the ball probably from where I hit it thin a few times. {See the biggest scuff mark below)
IMG_3982.JPG

Scuff is barely visable. For me, the ball held up well. I also really like the black directional line. more distinct than other balls, and I used it on both my drives and putts.

As for performance. Off the tee, I was remarkably straight (for me). I can't necessarily give credit to the ball for this, most likely I must have forgotten a few bad habits from last season. While the ball felt soft (I have hit some hard balls), I did not feel the ball springing off the driver head, like I feel if I use a more quality ball like a ProV1. My distance off the tee was shorter than I averaged last year, by maybe 10 yards. Was it the ball, or the fact it was my first time out, perhaps my swing speed has slowed down over the winter, or the windy cold day- could have had an affect on the distance.

However, inside of 100 yards, this ball performed beautifully. Ball felt real nice coming off the clubface. Hitting many greens with my chips/pitches. On putting, I did not notice any discernable difference. Ball rolled crisply. Not the balls fault I didn't read a few greens correctly today.

Overall, I was impressed with the ball. It gave me a good round. And at under $20 for a dozen, it is fantastic value for any hacker like me. It definitely is a step up from the "cheap" balls out there.

Going back out on Tuesday (hopefully) and will update.

Attachments

• IMG_3982.JPG
    IMG_3982.JPG
    28.3 KB · Views: 10
Back