Cutting down a shaft

Joe Navy

Reaction score
Handicap
N/A
I purchased a new driver for my wife, Callaway V Series. It is about one inch longer than her previous driver, and she was having some difficulty with the slightly longer shaft (that sentence will make you think...). Anyway, took her driver to a golf shop (in Japan) and the tech was concerned about messing with the drivers balance. Is this a valid concern or just a Japanese thing? I know when you order, shaft length is an option.

Cutting it down will change the swing weight and could make it feel a little more stiff. If she doesn't like it after cutting it down, adding some weight, like lead tape, to the club head can offset the effect of cutting it down.

I believe, they take care of offsetting the change in length with more weight in the club head at the factory if you order one with a shorter shaft.

I couldn't tell any difference after cutting mine down, nor could my wife with hers.

Dunno why the tech would be concerned...it's a common adjustment....though I think in japan the "standard" length a a little shorter.
Anyhow, It'll change the swingweight by a few points. You could get them to match the swingweight between the old club and the new...but that won't necessarily mean they will feel the same. Since you've got a new club, the shaft weight/distribution and head weight won't be the same, so making it the same length as the old one probably won't make it feel the same.
Have her play with it choked up a half inch, then an inch, and see where it feels best. A piece of masking tape on the butt end of the grip to remind her how far to choke up will help to keep that consistent.
For all us normal people, getting a new driver will require getting used to, because of so many little differences (like weight distribution) that we can't feel, do affect how well it plays. There are some pros that can just FEEL all those little things, and then adjust! Seems like a super power to me...
I suggest this because if you chop off a whole inch, and she still doesn't like it, well...you either chop off more, or you gotta put an extension in. Either way its another trip to the club tech.

Back