OGputtnfool

Reaction score
Handicap
Contemplating getting a road bike to mix in with running this summer when it's brutally hot (and this coming winter when it's brutally windy) and I don't wanna run long distances. Anyone here actively cycle and have tips for me when I really start shopping for a bike? I'm thinking distances from 10 miles up to 40 or 50 to start. Might do some longer 100 or so if I keep at it.

Do you currently cycle? Road or cross-country or mountain?

If this is new, but used. There are so many on the market from people who think they’re going to keep at it. That’s what I did. Great deal on a bike that was a couple years old and took it into the bike shop for a tune up and it was golden.

Practice or pay attention to your cadence. There’s definitely a skill there that takes a lot of time to learn and it’ll help efficiency.

If you’re going to be on a road, bright clothing is a must.

Do you currently cycle? Road or cross-country or mountain?

If this is new, but used. There are so many on the market from people who think they’re going to keep at it. That’s what I did. Great deal on a bike that was a couple years old and took it into the bike shop for a tune up and it was golden.

Practice or pay attention to your cadence. There’s definitely a skill there that takes a lot of time to learn and it’ll help efficiency.

If you’re going to be on a road, bright clothing is a must.

I rode a bit when training for my marathons. The first I was kinda forced to because I got a bad shin splint that stopped my running for 2.5 to 3 months. I had a mountain bike and made it work for what I needed. Probably never rode over 25ish miles with it at once and I know if I'm gonna ride more than that, I don't wanna do it on a mountain bike.

Clothing is noted. I know as much from running at night on the road.

Back