I've only been doing this dad thing for just over 5 months. My list of victories is small, but man I love them.

I've only been doing this dad thing for just over 5 months. My list of victories is small, but man I love them.
That's great! Enjoy those victories while they are little! That first year is such an amazing time. So much growth and change, it still astounds me!

Alright, so every once and a while I, as a dad, come up with a good idea that actually helps my kids out, instead of my usual ideas that backfire. I have twin 4 year old boys, and we recently switched their toothpaste, which they did not like. They are pretty strong willed children, so they would only allow a small amount of toothpaste on the bristles. It wasn't enough to really clean their teeth with, and they would inspect the bristles each time to make sure I wasn't putting too much on. Well, one day I decided to inject the toothpaste into the bristles, essentially hiding it from their view. I just left the little bit on top, which they approve of. This has been going on for a week now, and they are none the wiser. I know it's a small victory, but I'm happy when I can outsmart a 4 year old. :rolleyes:

So what are your dad victories? It could be something small, or something big. I think it's fun, and funny to share, so jump in!
Good job, Dad

When my daughter hit the terrible teenage years, I was the subject of her angst. I could do nothing right, say nothing she wanted to hear and was the reason everything in her world was going wrong. My wife was not much better in her eyes, but she would give me a very hard time.

A wise man told me this was the biggest compliment she could pay me...........:confused2:

She was learning how far she could push a male and she was test driving her methods on the man she knew would love her come what may. She knew whatever she did would not stop me loving her..........:banghead: I told her that I would always love her, but do not assume I would always like her.

A year later, we saw a tee shirt in Florida

Grandchildren are the reward you get for not strangling teenagers.

She liked it just as much as I did.

My biggest dad victory is seeing my 2 daughters turn into amazing young women. It wasn't easy and i now know why Lions eat their young.

When they are young it seems like it will never end.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

My eldest son preferred spicy salsa (tomatillo with roasted serrano or habenero) at a very young age. Instead of cake for his birthday he wanted chips and salsa at 2 and 3.

He’s since mellowed and prefers just hot salsa. I’m thinking he and I should do a Hot Ones challenge

Finally got my daughter to use toothpaste!

My wife and I have done this for a while but it came in handy today...we went to Office Depot so Mrs SirShives could look a laptops, took the 5 year old with us. While my wife looked for what she needed, I took our daughter to look at school supplies. She loves anything art so we found LOTS we HAD to have. Rather than deal with “I WANT THAT!!!” all over the store, I take cell phone pics of her holding the stuff she really likes so we can add it to the “wish list” for Christmas or birthday. This little game really cuts down on the Gimmies and everyone stays happy while we are in the store.
Side note: I have a **** ton of product pictures with a smiling 5 year old in them.

My wife and I have done this for a while but it came in handy today...we went to Office Depot so Mrs SirShives could look a laptops, took the 5 year old with us. While my wife looked for what she needed, I took our daughter to look at school supplies. She loves anything art so we found LOTS we HAD to have. Rather than deal with “I WANT THAT!!!” all over the store, I take cell phone pics of her holding the stuff she really likes so we can add it to the “wish list” for Christmas or birthday. This little game really cuts down on the Gimmies and everyone stays happy while we are in the store.
Side note: I have a **** ton of product pictures with a smiling 5 year old in them.
This is a great idea. I will be stealing it!

Today's early victory is that I have been able to have an actual hot cup of coffee. That has been a super rare occurrence on weekdays.

Today's early victory is that I have been able to have an actual hot cup of coffee. That has been a super rare occurrence on weekdays.
There for a while with newborns/infants, I feel like I never had a hot meal or coffee while at home. So nice when it works out in your favor!

Got the kids to wear their masks at home for nearly 1/2 hour today. Trying to prepare them for the potential of having to wear them at school. I'll take it from 3 kids under 5 years old!

Today I officially mastered the “if, then” strategy with my 3yo. He’s taken to it very well. I’m pleased
The strategies we must master, to outsmart our 3 y.o. kids :rolleyes:

Don’t get comfortable with that, just buy a Yeti and thank me later. My wife and I got so sick of cold or nuked coffee that we finally ponied up for the goods. Bonus discovery, it keeps cocktails extra cold too!

Oh my goodness what is it with kids and them not wanting to brush their teeth??? It takes 4 mins out of the day yet they can sit and watch tv or play on their phones for hours! I just told my daughter either you brush your teeth without complaints or the tv & phone are gone.

Don’t get comfortable with that, just buy a Yeti and thank me later. My wife and I got so sick of cold or nuked coffee that we finally ponied up for the goods. Bonus discovery, it keeps cocktails extra cold too!
I agree I dont use mugs as much as I used to.

Colin, my good athlete, I just try to keep him smiling on the course. He’s good enough that he thinks he should par/birdie every hole and gets upset when that doesn’t happen. I can’t do it during competition but when playing a round together I’ll either make him laugh, make him laugh at me, or ever so slightly piss him off (he’s the best under pressure in any sport he plays player I’ve seen his age). He plays better slightly pissed off. I have to watch that though as it usually means he’s going to have one helluva a rest of a round and wipe the floor with me. When it’s hard and dry I still crank it pretty far past him, so I’ll give him grief about that, lol.

I almost always regret it the rest of the round.

During HS golf I had to invoke his coach to get him a little mad as I wasn’t allowed to talk to him. Just a little. I his coach to tell him to make a little adjustment or in extreme cases, ask him to tell him last time I played XYZ course I was hitting GW instead of the 6i he was hitting in (May or may not have been true?) but that kid is dangerous with a little chip on his shoulder.

Golf is mental and he hasn’t caught on that I know how to push him. Tomorrow will be the true test. I’ve been scoring well and he has not been practicing. I hope I wipe the floor with him, not because I want to beat my own kid, but to motivate him to practice again. It won’t happen twice, that much I can say, lol.

I talked with my 5 year old, who was nervous about preschool today. I talked about what I enjoyed about school, making new friends, and learning new things and he went from nervous/anxious to excited. Made me happy for him!

Aww, ya'll and your little kids. So precious. And they grow up so fast! Make sure you take a lot of pictures. There are cameras in everything now so don't miss the opportunity.

I talked with my 5 year old, who was nervous about preschool today. I talked about what I enjoyed about school, making new friends, and learning new things and he went from nervous/anxious to excited. Made me happy for him!
way to go dad....

Agreed with @Gman79 Kick ass dude here and I haven’t even met him (yet). Nothing more important than taking care of those kids. Whether that be physically or emotionally.

Nice move! We’ve gotta get a round in too, lol.

Agreed with @Gman79 Kick ass dude here and I haven’t even met him (yet). Nothing more important than taking care of those kids. Whether that be physically or emotionally.

Nice move! We’ve gotta get a round in too, lol.
Yes we do @Smiter , yes we do!

I have two victories.
First, my kid loved spaghetti and meatballs (mom's homemade) but there was no way we could get him to eat meatloaf. One day when mom was visiting her sister out of town I asked him if he wanted to have spaghetti and meatballs for diner and lets do something mom wouldn't let us do. Let's make a giant meatball...solved the meatloaf problem.

Second. The same lad was OCD about a lot of things as a youngster and would obsess over the most inconsequential events or circumstances. this went on for a couple of years until I explained to him one day, "If no one died and your tallywhacker didn't fall off...everything else could be fixed. Yesterday he called and was venting about something at work but followed the rant with, "Mrs Johnson didn't die and Mr Johnson is still there so I guess everything will be OK.
Ya gotta love it when a plan comes together.

I have two victories.
First, my kid loved spaghetti and meatballs (mom's homemade) but there was no way we could get him to eat meatloaf. One day when mom was visiting her sister out of town I asked him if he wanted to have spaghetti and meatballs for diner and lets do something mom wouldn't let us do. Let's make a giant meatball...solved the meatloaf problem.

Second. The same lad was OCD about a lot of things as a youngster and would obsess over the most inconsequential events or circumstances. this went on for a couple of years until I explained to him one day, "If no one died and your tallywhacker didn't fall off...everything else could be fixed. Yesterday he called and was venting about something at work but followed the rant with, "Mrs Johnson didn't die and Mr Johnson is still there so I guess everything will be OK.
Ya gotta love it when a plan comes together.
Love seeing the payoff years later, and I will be stealing that giant meatball trick!!

Back