I guess I’ll find out Thursday. Drove the munchkin over an hour to play the course his next step in state qualifying is at. He played a true practice round but I think he was +5 with his first ball through 18. I know he bested my 82 at any rate, but I beat his front nine 38/39. So at least I have that.

If he plays that way he’ll advance. It was funny teeing off behind the best team in the area, all of them there for a practice round. Their 3 man (where my kids been all year, despite owning the best scoring avg, he didn’t go to summer practices and is lucky to even be on the team after missing qualifying and the first tournament, grrr) has gone under par a couple times. They’re all good. But +5 should/will advance and he did that without effort Sunday. Top 8 and ties all move on. Kid can go lower than that. He may not, but he can.

No blowup holes, FW and Greens. Tap in par’s at worst. Love those holes. Easy enough course that’ll eat you alive if you can’t draw the ball. Luckily the booger hits a low draw, which is required on about 50% of the tee shots there.

One of the hardest things as a Dad that I have faced is that my oldest just doesn't really care about watching sports or playing them a ton. If we are playing baseball in the back yard with my 3 year old... he will come play, but he never asks to do it. We have had him in soccer and flag football, and while he enjoys it, it just doesnt drive him. It is tough cause thats all I want to do and watch, so it kills me inside that he isn't the same way.

Yesterday, we were having lunch and he started talking about Minecraft that he plays on his switch and watches on youtube once in a while. We was so into the conversation and normally I tell him the game is silly and he needs to be outside playing. Instead yesterday, I asked questions, made it seem like I was genuinely interested and it seemed like it made his life. We had a 15 minute convo about Minecraft and I did not have a clue what I was talking about or him, but it truly seems like it made his day. I have never seen him so interested and happy over having to talk to dad in a long time.

So, my dad win... just listening and letting him do what he enjoys for a bit. Maybe the love for sports will come later down the road, maybe he will be an intense gamer, maybe he will be the president. I just dont know, but man, yesterday was cool.
I can't emphasize enough how important it is to listen to your kids and them understanding it. Include them in family decisions and ask their opinions about problems and try to implement their opinions in the solution. I did that with my son and he has run with it to the point of being made the Director of Customer Relations for the corporation due to his problem solving skills. Something I attribute to the confidence he gained early in life by being included in decisions being made.
There is no substitute for time spent with your children, you get back what you put in plus interest.

My kids are now 18 and 15. The best thing is hearing them say things that I would say to them when they were younger. Some of the “wisdom” sunk in along the way.
The great thing about being a parent. It's kinda like a second shot at doing things. You get to teach them from mistakes you made along the way.

I can't emphasize enough how important it is to listen to your kids and them understanding it. Include them in family decisions and ask their opinions about problems and try to implement their opinions in the solution. I did that with my son and he has run with it to the point of being made the Director of Customer Relations for the corporation due to his problem solving skills. Something I attribute to the confidence he gained early in life by being included in decisions being made.
There is no substitute for time spent with your children, you get back what you put in plus interest.

Nice! 2 of mine are entering young adulthood, my little guy is about to be 9.

Unfortunately I don’t see them everyday anymore. It’s hard to enforce standards and such as a PT dad. I try, but I have to approach it a little different than when I had them living here. I push too hard and they’re “I’m outta here, life is easier at moms’

I piss them off some, but always in an effort for them to break out and better themselves.

I never considered letting them discuss and be a part of life decisions, good tactic I’m going to throw in my dad toolbox. Thanks!

Nice! 2 of mine are entering young adulthood, my little guy is about to be 9.

Unfortunately I don’t see them everyday anymore. It’s hard to enforce standards and such as a PT dad. I try, but I have to approach it a little different than when I had them living here. I push too hard and they’re “I’m outta here, life is easier at moms’

I piss them off some, but always in an effort for them to break out and better themselves.

I never considered letting them discuss and be a part of life decisions, good tactic I’m going to throw in my dad toolbox. Thanks!
Pissing them off is all part of the package. I sat my son down after pissing him off and explained why I did what I did and told him, "my #1 job is to be your father, my #1 hope is to be your friend. I want you to understand both. He was a freshman in high school then, tough times for sure.
Fast forward eight years later and he was the president of his fraternity. He called me at three in the morning. It was the night they brought new members in and I remembered what went on that night. I fully expected something bad had happened, to my surprise he called to say "Thanks dad, now I know how you felt when I was playing football and we had freshman girls in the basement after a game. I'm in the same position now, babysitting 100 drunk fraternity brothers being dumb and knowing I could be held responsible if something goes wrong."
If you have done things right so far and you only piss them off for their own good they will realize it as they get older and wiser.

On my son's 16th birthday, one of the gifts I got him was a DVD compilation of Triumph the Insult Comic Dog. He wasn't too thrilled about it and said he'd never watch it.

I put a $100 bill on the coffee table and told him he could have it if he watched the whole DVD without laughing. He didn't make it 5 minutes into the first bit:

After that, I caught him showing it to his friends on several occasions!

Pissing them off is all part of the package. I sat my son down after pissing him off and explained why I did what I did and told him, "my #1 job is to be your father, my #1 hope is to be your friend. I want you to understand both. He was a freshman in high school then, tough times for sure.
Fast forward eight years later and he was the president of his fraternity. He called me at three in the morning. It was the night they brought new members in and I remembered what went on that night. I fully expected something bad had happened, to my surprise he called to say "Thanks dad, now I know how you felt when I was playing football and we had freshman girls in the basement after a game. I'm in the same position now, babysitting 100 drunk fraternity brothers being dumb and knowing I could be held responsible if something goes wrong."
If you have done things right so far and you only piss them off for their own good they will realize it as they get older and wiser.

They haven’t hit that older and wiser patch yet. Still waiting, lol. I’ve hit older but not wiser.

I hold out little hope but so far each one amazes me in their own way. My oldest boy can play guitar like Nuge. My middle son, golfs the **** out of his ball (3.1hc at a just turned 15) and RISES to competition, so plays to scratch if pushed).

My little guy has the most creative brain I’ve seen. You have to tell him to “shut it and get to the point” otherwise you’ll hear him spouting off for 45 minutes (minimum) about how he just caught a frisbee. It’s all smart stuff, drag, coefficient, etc. But all I want is for him to just throw the damn frisbee back, lol.

This year has been one big **** sandwich served up after another. After another terrible day, nothing brings a bigger smile to my face than watching my 4 year old play soccer. She is so adorable.
B1CB45F7-9164-4FFF-8073-FE787FCE9480.jpeg

This year has been one big **** sandwich served up after another. After another terrible day, nothing brings a bigger smile to my face than watching my 4 year old play soccer. She is so adorable.
View attachment 8966611

Life can suck. But this, it puts in to perspective. Nice job dad!

Got my boys rakes for their birthday a month ago. We've raked at least a dozen times, and we all have fun doing it!

Now the real victory will be to get the same result 10 years from now, without some sort of financial transaction having to occur :ROFLMAO:

Not sure managing to convince my 5 year old daughter my car is alive (keyless entry) is a dad victory, or just plain cruel!

Hahaha as someone who doesn't have kids yet, some stories I hear make me question our desires. I don't tend to suffer fools well, and i'm not know for my patience, so this kids thing my not be the best fit for me!

Not many people have those strengths before they have children...

Arguing with and or having to outsmart kids? When I was a kid if I gave my dad too much grief I got my ass b*tch slapped. My dad didn't have to worry about
"victories".

Not sure managing to convince my 5 year old daughter my car is alive (keyless entry) is a dad victory, or just plain cruel!
It's funny, and laughter is a win in my book!

My son got out his beyblade spinners this weekend and started dueling them. He said something about trying to find the best one so I taught him how to set up a tournament bracket. I drew him some blank brackets to fill in and run tournaments. He was entertained for quite a while with that and came and told me which spinner was the champion after each tournament.

My son got out his beyblade spinners this weekend and started dueling them. He said something about trying to find the best one so I taught him how to set up a tournament bracket. I drew him some blank brackets to fill in and run tournaments. He was entertained for quite a while with that and came and told me which spinner was the champion after each tournament.
Sounds like a great time!

View attachment 8966611
I’ve always thought watching kiddie soccer and tee ball was like watching a magnet being tossed into a pile of iron filings.

My 4 year old loves pajamas. Ever since spring break and home Schooling she wants to wear them every day all day long. So it’s a dad victory if I can get her in regular clothes and her hair combed.

@wubears71 - I would have let her wear pajamas considering since March I've been wearing sweats every day. Same thing in my mond.

I’ve always thought watching kiddie soccer and tee ball was like watching a magnet being tossed into a pile of iron filings.
I coach high school soccer, and my wife still thinks this is the case :ROFLMAO:. Not as bunched up, but still just a bunch of kids running around she says.

I am loving these, having been in many of these situations myself. My first "dad victory", was many years ago when my then stubborn 2 year old (and still stubborn as a 17 year old), wouldn't take medicine of any sort, and would make herself gag and throw it up. I my local Dunkin Donut guy would sell me munchkins and the jelly that would go inside separately. I would then mix the medicine into the jelly, put it into the munkin and then feed them to my daughter.

I am loving these, having been in many of these situations myself. My first "dad victory", was many years ago when my then stubborn 2 year old (and still stubborn as a 17 year old), wouldn't take medicine of any sort, and would make herself gag and throw it up. I my local Dunkin Donut guy would sell me munchkins and the jelly that would go inside separately. I would then mix the medicine into the jelly, put it into the munkin and then feed them to my daughter.
That's some ingenuity!

You gotta go with what works!
Yes you do. But everytime my wife feels I am giving into my daughter's stubbornness this is what I hear..lol... "Just like when you used to put her medicine into those munchkins"... lol..

Back