I used to throw sone, it has been years. I actually remember my first set, they were steal tip hammer heads.

I used to throw sone, it has been years. I actually remember my first set, they were steal tip hammer heads.

I had hammerheads. I was the only one I knew who did. Got them to keep from bouncing off so much, and they worked, but they were not my favorite set ever.

I had hammerheads. I was the only one I knew who did. Got them to keep from bouncing off so much, and they worked, but they were not my favorite set ever.

I've had Hammerheads, Power points, Black Eagles/Widows, fixed points, you name it.

I used to have a buddy that owned a dart shop, and got anything I wanted at cost.

I've had Hammerheads, Power points, Black Eagles/Widows, fixed points, you name it.

I used to have a buddy that owned a dart shop, and got anything I wanted at cost.
The ex used to be the office manager for the biggest one here in KC. I got a lot of stuff at cost! Wish I had gotten a few more boards though.

When I was in the Air Force and stationed in England, darts was huge and prolly still is. Had fun with my dorm mates playing and I tried a league one year. I gotta say I never thought much of it, but the Brits take it pretty seriously. Many pubs have leagues over there and it,s some good fun. We used steel tip darts,played a lot of 301 and 501. Saw a guy on tv in England go out in 501 in 9 darts. Absolutely phenomenal!

Darts is pretty massive over here, especially now Sky are really pumping money into it. Basically, a 9 dart leg is the perfect leg of darts, they used to happen once in a blue moon but are becoming a little more regular now.
Funnily enough, dart boards seem to be more popular in bars in California than pubs over here now. I noticed no one over there plays 301 or 501. Wasn't sure what they were playing to be honest. Trying to explain how to play a normal leg of 501 darts to my finacee's brother was like trying to explain rocket science to a baby. He was fine until I got to the bit about finishing on a double LOL
A stupid question, but as a big darts fan, I'm gonna really miss the coverage when I move to the States in a couple of months. Any channels show it over there, I'm guessing they don't.

Tapped via tapatalk

Last edited:
Darts is pretty massive over here, especially now Sky are really pumping money into it. Basically, a 9 dart leg is the perfect leg of darts, they used to happen once in a blue moon but are becoming a little more regular now.
A stupid question, but as a big darts fan, I'm gonna really miss the coverage when I move to the States in a couple of months. Any channels show it over there, I'm guessing they don't.

Tapped via tapatalk
I've seen a few matches. I believe Fox Soccer Channel or Fox Soccer Plus is where I saw it. If I see it in the listings again, I'll update here (if I remember!),

501, 301, and cricket are fairly common for league format games here. Minnesota and Spanish are much less common.

I've seen a few matches. I believe Fox Soccer Channel or Fox Soccer Plus is where I saw it. If I see it in the listings again, I'll update here (if I remember!),

Oh right. Excellent.

Tapped via tapatalk

I like Cricket with points and 301 (double in double out) the best. When we play 501 we usually just double out.

We created our own game, and actually had a 16 person league and playoffs one year. After that it was too hard to get everyone together so we just had dart parties instead.

We called it "Fives". Pretty simple rules, You throw 27 rounds each. (We split them up into three blocks of nine) You add up your darts that are not bulls-eyes and divide them by five and round down, no decimals (a double or triple number is still just a single number). Then add in 10 points for a bull and 20 points for a double. Obviously the best turn you can have is 60 (three double bulls). I've gotten 50 points more times than I can think of, but never got that third double. I usually end up blocking the double and have no real shot at a third one.

300 points is a score you don't want to go under too often. A great game is 400 and an awesome game is 500. I don't remember ever getting 500, and I have only seen a few. The last time we played it, I averaged around 335 a game over 30 or 40 games. Best I can remember is 438 for me.

The only problem with this one is that all you are doing is shooting at the bull, which is why we didn't count doubles and triples. You don't want to play this one exclusively, because I have seen bristle boards that end up having a bulge around the bull because that's where all the darts hit!

Love playing cricket!

c1b1785a3666__1155586912000_zps87029656.jpg

I was always a fan of Cut-throat cricket since you have to play defense against others rather than just rack up your own points.

I was always a fan of Cut-throat cricket since you have to play defense against others rather than just rack up your own points.

We've played that. It's basically Cricket with points, except when you have more than two players, the points go to the other players. Fun game. Definitely want to win closest to the bull for that one.

I'd never even heard of it, but just looked it up and sounds like fun.

So this happened, and it was kinda impressive.

That was very impressive from MVG.
Phil Taylor actually hit 2 perfect 9 dart finishes during the 2010 premier league, still the only time 2 have ever been hit in one match (not back to back like MVG was so close to doing though)
http://youtu.be/wvnP2VwQb6E

Still, what MVG almost did was mind blowing.

Wow, I haven't thought about "tossing" darts in years. I don't remember the brand of dart I played (over 30 years ago) I do remember they were very thin tungsten and metal tipped of course.

Where I was stationed had a small British contingent and the troopers loved to toss darts. We played mostly 301 or 501 double on and off. By the end of the night they could barely stand up due to the number of rounds they won, but their "toss" was pefectly flat every time.

I would make up for my losses by going to their compound and winning at the monthly horse racing. They didn't have actual horses, just wooden saw horses made up to look like a horse. Beach ball sized dice were rolled to move each "horse" during the race. The things that you come up with for entertainment when you are in the middle of nowhere.

When I was playing at my peak, I played in steel tip leagues three nights a week. I had a 10 dart game of cricket and a 10 dart game of 501, but no perfect games. I don't remember what my best leg of 301 was.

During one of the summer breaks I let a friend talk me into playing in a soft-tip league. Handicaps and sandbagging drove me out of that, but I did manage a six dart game of 301 against an opponent that got 120 points in handicap. Unfortunately, that season also led to a steep decline in my steel game, and it's now been probably 15 years since I played competitively.

Back