Daughter to the driving range

MarMill

Be Positive!
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
Grint 8.10
Took my daughter out to play nine and the driving range. She seemed to enjoy it. She is left handed but I am debating on having her play right handed. Would this be a mistake? My brother is lefty and always complains it's harder to get clubs and other things.

I was switched from lefty to righty at a young age. I still threw and played hockey/baseball/basketball lefty. It didn’t cause any issues for me.

I think at this day in age you should be able to find her gear as a lefty as she grows up. That being said I’d let her go with whatever is comfortable to her.

Took my daughter out to play nine and the driving range. She seemed to enjoy it. She is left handed but I am debating on having her play right handed. Would this be a mistake? My brother is lefty and always complains it's harder to get clubs and other things.

my youngest is A lefty and while I get being a right handed golfer has an advantage with gear, there is something to be said for swinging naturally.

I would encourage staying left handed and see how it goes.

I am a lefty who plays right handed, it is usually a feel thing for a left handed person. There are only a couple things I do left handed (write, shoot a bow and use a hammer) because it feels natural to me. That is the way I would decide how she plays, let here decide which way feels natural/normal to her.

She had no problem playing with a right handed club. When we teed it up on the course she would bounce back and forth righty and lefty haha.

She had no problem playing with a right handed club. When we teed it up on the course she would bounce back and forth righty and lefty haha.
She will figure it out then. I mean she could be a weirdo like @Muchmore18 and play left but putt righty. :p

I'd say whatever way she feels most comfortable. She could putt right handed though.

My youngest is a lefty, when he first started, he would swing right handed with a cross handed (lefty) grip. He would hit tracer shots with ease. As he got older, I let him decide which way he wanted to swing. He finally settled in swinging lefty as it was more comfortable and natural for him. As far as equipment goes, it can be a little challenging but there are always plenty of good options.

man, I'd encourage playing right handed then

My daughter is a lefty as well. She's asked to go with me several times but we've not done a ton. Planning to get her more involved this year though.

Like most have said, I think initially we'll go with lefty, but if she wants to switch to righty, it will be her call on which way to play

I do everything left handed and including golf. I dont think you reference her age, but my thought is the younger she is the more I would agree with having her golf right handed. However, probably besides the first set of kids clubs, I dont think left handed clubs are that tough to find. Maybe a few less choices only.

I still believe me trying to make my son play righty caused him from enjoying the game, he was about 8 or 9 when we tried though.

I am left-handed but the first club I picked up was a right-handed club that belonged to my dad so that is how I learnt to play - my dad took me to see an instructor and he got me to swing a club each way and said to stick with right-handed clubs as I was already on the right track

If she is comfortable swinging right-handed then maybe encourage her to stick with it as she may have better access to gear etc depending on where you are. I know left-handed stuff is more accessible now but it still won't be as broadly available to try

I taught my grandson to play golf. He is right-handed, but he was just helpless. Swinging a golf club just didn't make sense to him. I have a left-handed 9-iron, so I turned him around and gave him that club to swing. Instant success. Let your daughter do what is natural for her.

Last edited:
Also a lefty but play right handed. My first clubs were my BIL and he plays right handed so I am as well. I don't even think about it, just play like a normal right handed person.

I would say whatever she is most comfortable with. I am lefty that plays righty. I am also left-eye dominate and at times I think that is troublesome playing from the right-hand side.

The left handed issue aside, Enjoy the opportunity to spend time with her and teaching her the game. If she shows passion then thats awesome. If she doesn't it's a life skill she'll can enjoy anyway she wants. Plus, nothing better than time with your kid.

Awesome to see your daughter go out to the range with you. Having your kids show interest in the game is absolutely a fun time.

I’ve been begging, pleading & bribing my daughter to go golfing with me again.

If you took all the people in the world and plotted their right vs. left handed tendencies I think you'd create a line across a continuum from extremely right hand dominant to extremely left hand dominant. The question is where would your daughter fall on that continuum?

If she is way out there on the extremely right hand dominant side, I wouldn't try to make her into a left handed player. I'm ambidextrous to the extreme. I wrote right and left handed through junior high based on where the chalk was located. Pitched right and left handed through Little League. If she is capable with either hand, what you suggest makes sense. Even for someone like me, these are all learned skills. So eventually you choose a convention to maximize your skill one way or the other.

Some I think are minimizing the equipment availability/options part of the question. As a guy who plays left handed I can tell you it is very real. It's not that you can't get anything. But your options to try and buy off the rack are way fewer. Now look at this from the perspective given--a daughter. If you are a kid, your options are already limited. If you are a girl--much more so.

Next time you go into a golf specialty store, just try and find left handed clubs for say an 8-10 year old girl and you'll have a new perspective on just how much of a problem this could be.

I have two kids both girls one southpaw one normal😉. My wife is also a southpaw. We have a lot of golf clubs in this house. Including women’s lefty clubs…which can be hard to find.

i chose to let them just play what felt best for themselves. Good luck however you decide.

I'm a righty. I play golf, baseball and hockey as a lefty. It just feels "right". No pun intended. Racket sports, (Tennis, Badminton, ping pong) I play right handed.

Let her go with whatever feels good to her

Left handed clubs are always available.

Back