MarMill

Be Positive!
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
Grint 8.10
I was chatting with a patient the other day and guess I mis spoke about Marvel vs DC. I am not totally educated about the universes. Can anyone give a rundown and which is better?

Going back to the comics, and pretty much continuing through to the movies, I'd have to say that DC heroes were/are simple while Marvel heroes were/are complex.
If you want a pretty ordinary guy (a "police scientist") that can run real fast because of a lab accident (Flash) go for DC.
If you want a hyper-intelligent guy with heart problems that designs advanced technology to keep himself alive AND power a suit that lets him do superhero stuff (Ironman) go for Marvel.

DC has better villains.

*cracks neck*
Marvel has more good characters.
The best DC characters are better than Marvel's best characters.
DC has much better villians
Marvel does better with large scale collaborative stories.
Marvel has better movies.

I prefer Marvel to DC but that is just my taste.
I might be wrong but here's how I think of the 2 universes.
DC is Superman, Batman, Wonder woman, Supergirl, Green Lantern Joker, Penguin etc
Marvel is: Xmen, Guardians of Galaxy, Black Panther, Iron Man, Spiderman, Ant man, etc.
All the Avengers are Marvel.

Maybe someone can add to this.

I'm a Marvel fan, especially of the 1960s-1980s output.

Uncanny X-Men, Spider-Man, Fantastic Four, Avengers, Doctor Strange, Thor, Silver Surfer amongst the favourites.

I recommend reading the first ever 10 comics of each of those. The stories are inventive, the writing terrific and the artwork sublime.

I grew up with Batman and loved that he was just a guy instead of a super hero that couldnt be hurt like Superman. Marvel stories going back to the 60's were a bit more complex. Captain America was in WW2. Ironman's dad made his shield and on and on.There are great movies, novels and the comics themselves. It is to each their own.

I see some of the characters like this.
Superman.-Tiger. (His back and wife were his kryptonite)
Captain America--- Jordan Speith
Ironman -Bryson
Aquaman----In golf nobody wants to be Aquaman
Dr. Strange- Phil, Have you ever had his coffee?

*cracks neck*
Well informed and basically covers everything.

*cracks neck*
This 100%...

The DC Movie Universe doesn’t work because they didn’t get Superman right from jump street & every creator wants to do TDKR version of Batman.

Long time ago I use to collect both DC and Marvel comics. That being said both DC and Marvel have good points and bad points. Marvel seems to make the better movies, but DC has had a few that are pretty well done also. This coming from a longtime Marvel fan.

This 100%...

The DC Movie Universe doesn’t work because they didn’t get Superman right from jump street & every creator wants to do TDKR version of Batman.
I will argue that The Dark Knight is better than any movie Marvel has made, but The Dark Knight isn't a part of the DCEU, which is fine.

I'd like to state here for the record that I really liked the Green Lantern movie and was disappointed they didn't make a sequel.

I'd like to state here for the record that I really liked the Green Lantern movie and was disappointed they didn't make a sequel.
hehe

I'm a Marvel fan, especially of the 1960s-1980s output.

Uncanny X-Men, Spider-Man, Fantastic Four, Avengers, Doctor Strange, Thor, Silver Surfer amongst the favourites.

I recommend reading the first ever 10 comics of each of those. The stories are inventive, the writing terrific and the artwork sublime.
Where would one find the comics to read now? Are they digital or would I have to find them?

wow....this could be my favorite thread ever. but to really respond would take a long time. the easiest way to look at it is: DC has superman and batman, the 2 most recognizable superheroes of all time....but the DC movies have been just ok. marvel has thor, iron man and captain america...good superheroes but not superman and batman. but there is one major difference between them right now. marvel movies are much much much better.

Where would one find the comics to read now? Are they digital or would I have to find them?
There are a lot of comics available on ereaders. It works really well. I recommend it. There are a lot of character anthologies as well. Great options.

*cracks neck*

Blu is correct IMO.

I grew up in the 80's with DC and their Saturday morning cartoon's...big fan of Green Lantern from the Justice League cartoon. Then in the early 90's I flipped over to X-Man and Marvel with comics. When the movies came around, Superman was the best...OG. Batman (Keaton) was, too. Could you imagine Reeve's Superman, Keaton's Batman and Carter's Wonder Woman all in a movie together against Nicholson's Joker?

Then Marvel figured out the movies, and that's been fantastic.

DC's got some decent show's and characters on the small screen...The Flash, Green Arrow and a few of that cast...to name a few.

DC's movies have been hit and miss, mostly with the writing. For casting....Cavill's Superman is great, Momoa's Aquaman and Godat's Wonder Woman are, too......but the writing in the films, short of Aquaman (1) and Wonder Woman (1) were ok.

Last edited:
Blu is correct IMO.

I grew up in the 80's with DC and their Saturday morning cartoon's...big fan of Green Lantern from the Justice League cartoon. Then in the early 90's I flipped over to X-Man and Marvel with comics. When the movies came around, Superman was the best...OG. Batman (Keaton) was, too. Could you imagine Reeve's Superman, Keaton's Batman and Carter's Wonder Woman all in a movie together against Nicholson's Joker?

Then Marvel figured out the movies, and that's been fantastic.

DC's got some decent show's and characters on the small screen...The Flash, Green Arrow and a few of that cast...to name a few.

DC's movies have been hit and miss, mostly with the writing. Fro casting....Cavill's Superman is great, Momoa's Aquaman and Godat's Wonder Woman are, too......but the writing in the films, short of Aquaman (1) and Wonder Woman (1) were ok.
Batman: The Animated Series still holds up really well.

Batman: The Animated Series still holds up really well.
Yes! I use to go home after school and watch that one.

Shoot, even today (at 41), I'll still watch a DC or Marvel animated movie or show from time to time.

I will argue that The Dark Knight is better than any movie Marvel has made, but The Dark Knight isn't a part of the DCEU, which is fine.
The Dark Knight & Captain American: Winter Solider are the two best comic book movies ever made.

I like Frank Miller’s The Dark Knight Returns Batman take as much as anyone, but that version of an older Batman doesn’t fit great in a shared movie universe. And it killed BvS in my opinion.

The DC Universe has great source material, too bad it hasn’t translated to the big screen. Superman is more Farm Boy from Kansas than Alien from Krypton, it’s not hard to get right.

Yes! I use to go home after school and watch that one.

Shoot, even today (at 41), I'll still watch a DC or Marvel animated movie or show from time to time.
I’m working and watching Batman: Hush on HBO Max as we speak .

The Dark Knight & Captain American: Winter Solider are the two best comic book movies ever made.

I like Frank Miller’s The Dark Knight Returns Batman take as much as anyone, but that version of an older Batman doesn’t fit great in a shared movie universe. And it killed BvS in my opinion.

The DC Universe has great source material, too bad it hasn’t translated to the big screen. Superman is more Farm Boy from Kansas than Alien from Krypton, it’s not hard to get right.

I'll watch The Dark Knight Returns whenever it's on and I come across it.

BvS COULD have been a great story....could have been.

That's the thing with comic movies, and maybe I don't take them serious enough because I'm not a paid movie critic. To me, if they stay close to the comic, as they can, and it entertains me...I'm good. BUT some of the campy Batman's (Clooney, Kilmar) I just can't.

I'm partial to the Farm Boy from Kanas story line, too. ;) :ROFLMAO:

I consider the Dark Knight trilogy as a separate entity, not necessarily a comic book movie by current standards.

Civil War was good, but I think Ragnarok beats it out.

Back