So did I.
Did your mom throw away a stack of comics (neatly stacked in a closet) that included a mint condition First-Appearance-Of-Spiderman Amazing Fantasy comic?
Mine did...
I could buy a nice house with the money I could sell it for now.
I had a copy of Hulk 181 (without coupon) that I sold due to a bad run of cards, but never something like that...

You said that, “Developing a black Superman movie is a perfect nod to the comic book material.” And said that isn’t true, regardless of what you believe.

When in the main DC continuity has Superman not been depicted like this (pictured below) unless it was storyline related like Electric Red/Blue Superman or Reign of Supermen? I’ll wait...

View attachment 8995789

This ⬆ is a perfect nod to source material...
Val-Zod. Earth 2: World's End.

For DC fans, I watched last week's pilot of the new CW series "Superman and Lois." It's kind of like the 1990s ABC series with Dean Cain and Teri Hatcher had kept going for 15 more years. In the CW version, Lois and Clark are married with twin boys, freshmen in high school (one is a "jock" and the other is dark and troubled). Lois and Clark never told the boys of their father's origin. The family travels from their Metropolis home to Smallville for the funeral of Martha, Clark's mother. And, it goes from there...

There's going to be fights and villains. But, those aside, this could be the most interesting and complex version of Superman we've seen.

For DC fans, I watched last week's pilot of the new CW series "Superman and Lois." It's kind of like the 1990s ABC series with Dean Cain and Teri Hatcher had kept going for 15 more years. In the CW version, Lois and Clark are married with twin boys, freshmen in high school (one is a "jock" and the other is dark and troubled). Lois and Clark never told the boys of their father's origin. The family travels from their Metropolis home to Smallville for the funeral of Martha, Clark's mother. And, it goes from there...

There's going to be fights and villains. But, those aside, this could be the most interesting and complex version of Superman we've seen.
vbq92V2.gif

It hasn't been given a fair shake yet, in my opinion. Because of the CW side of things, they'll have the side characters and side stories and hopefully they don't get TO wrapped up in those, but after watching the first episode....for a Pilot....it was well done. Granted, CW isn't new to this anymore....but still, I think this one's going to be good. Way more so than Supergirl, which I only watched the first couple of seasons.

Agree with the things that have been said on the thread thus far. I was Batman up until the Marvel movies... Going back the Batman movies were awesome and I loved them then all of a sudden nothing was good until the Dark Knight series that everyone is saying is outside the unit.

I liked Toby - Spiderman the others meh... Iron man's were the best - Thor movies never moved the needle for me.

Val-Zod. Earth 2: World's End.
Just stop 🛑, you didn’t think you would run into anyone that had extensive knowledge of the source material... lol
That’s not the main continuity, in fact pre-crisis Earth 2 Superman is pictured below:

515FB7D1-CD0C-499E-87DE-8F31D30E0A3C.jpeg

Even in your examples, they are different characters. Miles Morales isn’t Peter Parker & Val-Zod isn’t Clark Kent.

@AndyL0711 ’s point is valid. If you are Warner Bros, and you own the rights to the most iconic super hero property ever created, why would you attempt to reboot said property, if Superman isn’t Clark Kent?

The only reason that you would make such a decision is that you are attempting to pander, & woke = broke. I have a better idea, reboot Green Lantern with John Stewart (he’s the best one anyway) & if you reboot Superman, give Lex a rest and do a great Brainiac story (Geoff Johns wrote one you can use). What you don’t do is Earth 2: World’s End.

If you want to do Elseworld’s Superman do Red Son and have Superman land in Russia instead of Kansas (Great Story), but if you are in the mess Warner is in with their DC movies, stick to the iconic versions of the characters...

Just stop 🛑, you didn’t think you would run into anyone that had extensive knowledge of the source material... lol
That’s not the main continuity, in fact pre-crisis Earth 2 Superman is pictured below:

View attachment 8995831

Even in your examples, they are different characters. Miles Morales isn’t Peter Parker & Val-Zod isn’t Clark Kent.

@AndyL0711 ’s point is valid. If you are Warner Bros, and you own the rights to the most iconic super hero property ever created, why would you attempt to reboot said property, if Superman isn’t Clark Kent?

The only reason that you would make such a decision is that you are attempting to pander, & woke = broke. I have a better idea, reboot Green Lantern with John Stewart (he’s the best one anyway) & if you reboot Superman, give Lex a rest and do a great Brainiac story (Geoff Johns wrote one you can use). What you don’t do is Earth 2: World’s End.

If you want to do Elseworld’s Superman do Red Son and have Superman land in Russia instead of Kansas (Great Story), but if you are in the mess Warner is in with their DC movies, stick to the iconic versions of the characters...
I never said there was a black Clark Kent. Just a black Kryptonian who took up the mantle of Superman.

I am not going to defend the notion that Superman's skin color is essential to his character.

I will entertain the discussion that Warner Brothers doesn't need to reboot the Superman movies. It's just very clear that they do not know how to make superhero movies. I do like the idea of a proper Green Lantern movie with John Stewart, but that story needs to get fleshed out. The trepidation I have with Green Lantern movies, they rather have to be CGI-ed and that just robs the soul from the movie. The reason why the Dark Knight movies worked so well, for the most part, was how practical the stunts looked. Same issues have plagued the Wonder Woman movies. Good soul, until the 3rd act and the digital effects crapped on everything.

Back