DC MD VA Area Chat

The par 3’s look absolutely gorgeous. Sounds like you really enjoyed it.

So you played it from around 6500?
Whites are 6250 off of par 71. And at that yardage there's 5 par 4's over 400. Enjoy.

My buddy decided he wants to go play Greens Folley in South Boston tomorrow morning. Never been there. Its cheap at $22 for 18 riding. The interesting part is the closing hole is a 697 yard par 6 according to the card. I am interested to see how that goes.

My buddy decided he wants to go play Greens Folley in South Boston tomorrow morning. Never been there. Its cheap at $22 for 18 riding. The interesting part is the closing hole is a 697 yard par 6 according to the card. I am interested to see how that goes.
I cannot wait to hear about the course. I've never played it but willing to make the drive if it's good

That hole sounds a bit like Meadows farms where i played occasionally. Something like a 700 yd par 6. And he left lots of room to increase it if anyone made a hole longer.

That hole sounds a bit like Meadows farms where i played occasionally. Something like a 700 yd par 6. And he left lots of room to increase it if anyone made a hole longer.
It's more like 843 yards at Meadow Farm. I played the tips on that hole just to say I played the longest hole in the US...Some Korean course built a longer hole.

You’re right. I played from the white though looking back played with a buddy. I think we played that one hole from the blues just say we played the longest hole! So yes ugh

It's more like 843 yards at Meadow Farm. I played the tips on that hole just to say I played the longest hole in the US...Some Korean course built a longer hole.
I've played that from the tips, white, and red(in a captains choice tournament). Meadows can be fun for playing 19 holes in a day if they aren't crowded

Yes we loved it s fun course. The third 9 only so so not including the waterfall hole.

I cannot wait to hear about the course. I've never played it but willing to make the drive if it's good
Honestly I am not expecting greatness. I mean it’s $22 for a round with a cart. Can’t be but so good.

Enjoy it be pleasantly surprised!!

So Green’s Folley in South Boston.... it is interesting for sure. Honestly pulling in you know for a fact you aren’t at a high end course by any means. The people were very friendly though and seemed to appreciate that you are there to support their business. The driving range is not great but will suffice. Good drives are putting the ball in waist high hayfield grass or woods depending on the angle you hit so I almost felt bad hitting driver on their range. They have a chipping green but the practice bunker there did not even have any sand in it. The separate putting green is a good size with plenty holes but no small flags or anything marking them. Make sure you ask how the course is laid out in the pro shop. None of the holes are numbered and the scorecard doesn’t really reflect how they lay out. Some are very weirdly situated and it would not be hard to get off track and on the wrong hole.

The course is about what you would expect for $22 riding. The fairways are playable but not pristine. The rough is not too much thicker or longer then the fairways. I will say the greens for the most part were small with some being tiny. They were tough too as there was not a flat spot to be found in any of them. Most slope back to front and it is not hard to hit a nice shot and have the ball roll back off the green.

Several of the greens and quite a few places in the fairway were in bad shape. They actually had quite a few places roped off from play including a few fairly large areas on some of the smaller greens. The greens were pretty shaggy and slow when we played and not entirely consistent in speed from on hole to the next making it pretty difficult to have a solid day putting. I honestly felt like I lost 3 strokes or more on the front 9 alone just based on how weird the greens rolled.

It is not a long course at all. With rare exception I felt like I could easily hit a driving 3 or 4 iron off the tee on most par 4s and still have simple shots in to the greens. The par 5s are challenging because while not overly long, they all seemed to play significantly uphill and had some of the more difficult tee shots.

Speaking of tee shots, if you struggle a bit with accuracy off the tee then you are probably going to like most of the holes on the course. Most of the fairways are pretty wide and even if you miss them you should still be in good shape as it is just wide open. There are a few that are a bit tighter but most of those you can easily hit an iron off the tee and be fine. There are even a couple longer hitters with the ability to shape the ball might be able to drive. Several were in the 300-330 range. Most of those were fairly well protected by a more narrow fairway and doglegs that prevented a good line of sight to the greens. I didn’t try to drive any of them but I was tempted a time or two.

The par 3s were varying distances. I do like that as I have played courses where it seemed every par 3 was the exact same distance and that gets boring. I believe the shortest was around 125 and the longest around 185.

I would say the signature hole is their 18th. It is around a 700 yard par 6. It sounds daunting but the initial tee shot of hit well can get over a pretty good hill and run down. It’s pretty much uphill from there but not horribly so. I tattooed my tee shot on that one and while I am not sure how far it went, I do know it ended over 300. I carried the hill and landed on the downslope getting a nice kick and run forward. It doglegs slightly left from there and I wanted about a 200 yard shot to give me a nice mid to long iron or so in for my 3rd. Unfortunately my shoulder was bothering me a bit and the lie was a bit tricky and I hit a terrible shot that really never got off the ground. Even so, I still only had 213 left for my 3rd and just missed it right with a smooth 3U. It is definitely a hole that can be reached for eagle and should give up quite a few birdies.

All in all it was a pretty fun course to play. Conditions weren’t exactly great but again I am not bashing them I don’t expect resort conditions for $22 a round riding. It has a fair mix of holes and designs with most being very friendly while a few are more challenging. It is not the course I want to play every day but one I might play two maybe three times over the course of a year for something fun and different.

Hey Virginia guys!! Going to be in Williamsburg the weekend of June 5. My son and I are looking to play some golf on Saturday....What the best place to play?
Golden Horseshoe Gold course?
Thanks,
Joe

Wow ... this thread has been quite for some time. Wake up MD, DC, VA THP'ers!! :eek:

MD guys .... well, anyone for that matter. Has anyone played Quail Valley? I have a tee time there this coming Sunday at 7:24 if anyone wants to join. I hear good things about the course & it's actually one I haven't played before, which is rare for this area.

So who's coming? :unsure:

Wow ... this thread has been quite for some time. Wake up MD, DC, VA THP'ers!! :eek:

MD guys .... well, anyone for that matter. Has anyone played Quail Valley? I have a tee time there this coming Sunday at 7:24 if anyone wants to join. I hear good things about the course & it's actually one I haven't played before, which is rare for this area.

Don't think I can swing a trip to PA this weekend, but curious to see how you enjoy it. Playing hooky tomorrow to go play Chreighton Farms.

Don't think I can swing a trip to PA this weekend, but curious to see how you enjoy it. Playing hooky tomorrow to go play Chreighton Farms.
Dude!! I'd play hooky too if I got to play there. Who do you know that gets you on there? Need a 4th?? :unsure:

Dude!! I'd play hooky too if I got to play there. Who do you know that gets you on there? Need a 4th?? :unsure:

Friend of a friend. He's got four unfortunately.

Yes, I have played it three times, all last year. It is certainly not in the league of a Worthington, Musket or Raspberry Falls, but overall it is a pretty decent track for the money and usually not too crowded. It's off the beaten path for the DC crowd and seems to be a bit of a hidden gem as a result. It's not worth 100 bucks, but it's a bargain at 50. I paid $27 or $28 midweek last fall, with cart. Felt like I got a great value when it was all said and done. I will definitely play it again later this year.

I'd love to join you this weekend, but I am on the DL right now with a back rib muscle tear (intercostals). Been out almost a month so far with no end in sight yet. I am quite frustrated to say the least. I've been in a foul mood and driving my wife crazy, poor thing, but that's another story.

Unless it's crowded for some reason, I bet you will enjoy it, provided you aren't expecting too much. I don't know if you have ever played Clustered Spires in Frederick MD, but I'd say they are both about the same level of track. One recommendation/hint: Unless you are a perfectly straight driver of the ball, play a hybrid or long iron off the tee on 3. Maybe on the 8th, too.

Yes, I have played it three times, all last year. It is certainly not in the league of a Worthington, Musket or Raspberry Falls, but overall it is a pretty decent track for the money and usually not too crowded. It's off the beaten path for the DC crowd and seems to be a bit of a hidden gem as a result. It's not worth 100 bucks, but it's a bargain at 50. I paid $27 or $28 midweek last fall, with cart. Felt like I got a great value when it was all said and done. I will definitely play it again later this year.

I'd love to join you this weekend, but I am on the DL right now with a back rib muscle tear (intercostals). Been out almost a month so far with no end in sight yet. I am quite frustrated to say the least. I've been in a foul mood and driving my wife crazy, poor thing, but that's another story.

Unless it's crowded for some reason, I bet you will enjoy it, provided you aren't expecting too much. I don't know if you have ever played Clustered Spires in Frederick MD, but I'd say they are both about the same level of track. One recommendation/hint: Unless you are a perfectly straight driver of the ball, play a hybrid or long iron off the tee on 3. Maybe on the 8th, too.

Cool thanks for the insight. (y) I've played Clustered Spires multiple times, so hopefully they are alike. Hopefully since my tee time is fairly early, I'll be able to buzz around with no issues. As long as the fairways & greens are decent, I'll be good. I'll report back as to the conditions ;)

I played QV about 15 years ago, I remember thinking I could walk this layout. Probably wouldn’t think that now. 😂

Anyone play Carrol Valley this year?

I played QV about 15 years ago, I remember thinking I could walk this layout. Probably wouldn’t think that now. 😂

You are correct. It's an ideal course to walk. It's pretty flat.

Creighton never disappoints!

13809622-DD0F-46FA-83EB-828773BA211C_1_105_c.jpeg
132A8DBA-F5B1-4B2C-89B4-42EECDFCBBB2_1_105_c.jpeg
1A9725ED-30C6-4811-B547-7C9FB25EA26D_1_105_c.jpeg
899C59A0-AC73-4296-81DF-317009338CCC_1_105_c.jpeg
1E7F1543-9A5B-48AD-8A47-E25FA6590539_1_105_c.jpeg
00BE9693-FF30-497B-9965-64E369F8434A_1_105_c.jpeg
E9F4EC0D-BC47-44D2-906D-8753614C27CA_1_105_c.jpeg
6C46FF94-BF0A-48BB-829B-6477823F558F_1_105_c.jpeg
58E67210-B423-483E-A54E-2472887F41BE_1_105_c.jpeg

I'd also like to state for the record that I was not in charge of photograpy (much too busy drinking vodka lemonades)!! So many portrait images...

Attachments

• 13809622-DD0F-46FA-83EB-828773BA211C_1_105_c.jpeg
    79.7 KB · Views: 6
  • 132A8DBA-F5B1-4B2C-89B4-42EECDFCBBB2_1_105_c.jpeg
    94.2 KB · Views: 6
  • 1A9725ED-30C6-4811-B547-7C9FB25EA26D_1_105_c.jpeg
    80.8 KB · Views: 6
  • 899C59A0-AC73-4296-81DF-317009338CCC_1_105_c.jpeg
    108 KB · Views: 6
  • 132A8DBA-F5B1-4B2C-89B4-42EECDFCBBB2_1_105_c.jpeg
    94.2 KB · Views: 6
  • 1A9725ED-30C6-4811-B547-7C9FB25EA26D_1_105_c.jpeg
    80.8 KB · Views: 6
  • 899C59A0-AC73-4296-81DF-317009338CCC_1_105_c.jpeg
    108 KB · Views: 6
Course should look like that for how much it costs to join there. :rolleyes:

Well Quail Valley .... what an awesome course! Pristine condition. Fairways were tight. You really had to make decent ball first contact. Which of course I didn't do all of the time but .... I still got around the course fairly well. Greens were fabulous, rolled true ... too bad I couldn't ever get the speed down. Ended up 3-putting 3 times with only 1 birdie to offset those. That annoys me to no end. When you hit 2 great shots, only to bogey anyway. :mad: Unfortunately, I didn't take any pictures. I was with an older gentleman that didn't seem to care for cell phones on the course. So instead of confrontation, I took the better way out, & made sure the phone was on silent & refrained from taking it out. :sneaky: I just enjoyed the day. I will be back (y) It's one of the best public courses I've been on in quite a while. It's only 50 minutes from me, so it's not bad at all. With the way I drive, I could make it 45 no problem ;)

Well Quail Valley .... what an awesome course! Pristine condition. Fairways were tight. You really had to make decent ball first contact. Which of course I didn't do all of the time but .... I still got around the course fairly well. Greens were fabulous, rolled true ... too bad I couldn't ever get the speed down. Ended up 3-putting 3 times with only 1 birdie to offset those. That annoys me to no end. When you hit 2 great shots, only to bogey anyway. :mad: Unfortunately, I didn't take any pictures. I was with an older gentleman that didn't seem to care for cell phones on the course. So instead of confrontation, I took the better way out, & made sure the phone was on silent & refrained from taking it out. :sneaky: I just enjoyed the day. I will be back (y) It's one of the best public courses I've been on in quite a while. It's only 50 minutes from me, so it's not bad at all. With the way I drive, I could make it 45 no problem ;)
How busy was it? Never tried it on a weekend.

Glad it worked out well for you. Yes, their greens are quite true. I hope to get back out there myself once or twice this season. Surprisingly, it's about 50 minutes for me, too, coming from Frederick/Urbana.

Just curious, did the island green hole on the back (13?) play to distance for you? Seems I've always been a little short, even with solid contact and good swings, on the few times I've played there. My playing partners too. I've never been wet though....yet. But, I can't say the same for my partners ;).

How about the 3rd. What'd you hit off the tee? I learned my lesson after the first time I played it. 4i utility or hybrid is my go-to play there now.

Back