DC MD VA Area Chat

Played my very first 9 there, MANY years ago - it was a swamp after a rain storm. No idea what it's like today, but there are some great courses in No. VA and MD.

Laurel Hills
Westfields
2 at Twin Lakes
Andrews AFB (may be open to the public)
Ft Belvoir has a couple courses now as well (I think they have 2 18s)
Even Pohick Bay is nice - good condition, not a long course but lot's of dog legs and elevation changes.

The only golf course that I have heard of around the beltway that was any good is East Potomac. But I am open to any other suggestions, as long as I get to kick @93civiccpe and @golfinnut butt I'm in.
You could play East Potomac with a 5 iron, wedge & putter. 🤯 It's so short. Unless they've changed it over the years. I grew up playing there with my father.

Played my very first 9 there, MANY years ago - it was a swamp after a rain storm. No idea what it's like today, but there are some great courses in No. VA and MD.

Laurel Hills
Westfields
2 at Twin Lakes
Andrews AFB (may be open to the public)
Ft Belvoir has a couple courses now as well (I think they have 2 18s)
Even Pohick Bay is nice - good condition, not a long course but lot's of dog legs and elevation changes.

Pohick Bay .... one of my favorites. My father & I used to play there religiously Every Sunday morning back in the '80s. And it looked quite a bit different than it does now. There were so many trees infringing on each of the holes. It was "forget it & tee up another one" ... no way to punch out like it is today. Plus the greens on #12 & #13 were quite unplayable back then. Now since they redid them, they are bit more fair.

Pohick Bay .... one of my favorites. My father & I used to play there religiously Every Sunday morning back in the '80s. And it looked quite a bit different than it does now. There were so many trees infringing on each of the holes. It was "forget it & tee up another one" ... no way to punch out like it is today. Plus the greens on #12 & #13 were quite unplayable back then. Now since they redid them, they are bit more fair.

Me and @93civiccpe loved playing Pohick a couple years ago. Fun course! That could be a spot!

Me and @93civiccpe loved playing Pohick a couple years ago. Fun course! That could be a spot!
The challenge with Pohick is you rarely get a flat lie. It was a fun course for sure. Paging my Grandaddy brother @Vader so he sees this as well in case he wants to join us since he's in the area as well.

The challenge with Pohick is you rarely get a flat lie. It was a fun course for sure. Paging my Grandaddy brother @Vader so he sees this as well in case he wants to join us since he's in the area as well.
I think the two flattest holes on the course are #8 & #18 ... about the only flat fairways (y)

Come to Royal New Kent where everyone gets their butt kicked lol. I’m a part time member.

Come to Royal New Kent where everyone gets their butt kicked lol. I’m a part time member.

My FIL refuses (or at least used to) to play there. Is it just really hard?

My FIL refuses (or at least used to) to play there. Is it just really hard?

Yes. The course is looong. The rough is thick straight link style stuff. The winds that come through the course change direction. If weather comes through during the round you might as well be in Ireland/Scotland. You have multiple holes with blind shots. The par 3s are tough as hell. One of the par 5’s has a flag location where the high part of the green is like 4-5 ft about the lower part so if you get there in two par isn’t even given. The course is hard on a perfect day. At one point last year it was up to 20th hardest course in the US. They love to talk about if. Any of the holes can completely wreck a round. I play a nice easy course after that one just to feel better lol.

Last edited:
Yes. The course is looong. The rough is thick straight link style stuff. The winds that come through the course change direction. If weather comes through during the round you might as well be in Ireland/Scotland. You have multiple holes with blind shots. The par 3s are tough as hell. One of the par 5’s has a flag location where the high part of the green is like 4-5 ft about the lower part so if you get there in two par isn’t even given. The course is hard on a perfect day. At one point last year it was up to 20th hardest course in the US. They love to talk about if. Any of the holes can completely wreck a round. I play a nice easy course after that one just to feel better lol.
It is one of my favorite courses and has kicked my butt each time playing there. The greens are champion bermuda and run really fast. Downhill and down grain you don't stand a chance. And one of the greens I swear is a 10ft elevation change. It is tough but definitely worth experiencing. Just level set your expectations as you will likely not have your best round there but you can still have fun!

Btw.. i just played there Tuesday! We should play there together sometime!
20220419_132333.jpg20220419_165019.jpg20220419_172747.jpg20220419_182010.jpg

RVA9 outing?
I would certainly be in for that.. I can never say no when it comes to that course regardless of how much I get beat up by it.. so far my score keeps dropping each time I play there..

It’s too quiet lol

Btw apparently highlands greens are suppose to be amazing now after they were redone.

Any recommendations for gapping irons in central Maryland? I’d prefer to do both at the same place if possible.

Anyone teeing it up this weekend? I'm gonna try to talk to my brother and go out at either the Gauntlet or South Wales.

Fellow Golfers - I hope (though it may just not be in the cards) to get another round or 2 in before departing the Commonwealth for SC. If I am successful, I will give a heads up and see if we can't meet for a weekend round and a beer or bourbon or Soda (or all).

Belmont is looking pretty damn nice these days. They are doing a redo on some tee boxes and the range for now

Anyone teeing it up this weekend? I'm gonna try to talk to my brother and go out at either the Gauntlet or South Wales.
Is South Wales even still open? I heard a while back that the property was up for sale :unsure:

Fellow Golfers - I hope (though it may just not be in the cards) to get another round or 2 in before departing the Commonwealth for SC. If I am successful, I will give a heads up and see if we can't meet for a weekend round and a beer or bourbon or Soda (or all).
I hope I’ll be able to make it out if it happens. I’m always down for meeting more THPers. My count is way too low.

Is South Wales even still open? I heard a while back that the property was up for sale :unsure:
It is still open. They are building a housing development around it.

Back