Dear Arccos: I want a Divorce

I have an app that gives me distances and can track my handicap and such but I've never had anything that's that specific. I think too much technology takes some of what I find fun about the game away. I like to know the distances but I don't want to rely on them.

I think I finally understand that it’s the same for me. I have a laser and if I need to know a distance it will tell me.

All of the many, many gadgets I’ve used, whether GPS or shot tracking, literally make me enjoy my round less. I’m only playing the game because it’s fun, why do I keep messing around with things that bug me and make it less enjoyable?

So it’s been a few months now and I don’t see myself trying any more on-course tech gadgets.

I like having a gps watch and laser. If I wayward, it is nice to know the numbers to the front of the green. Other than that, it can clog the mind.

I like having a gps watch and laser. If I wayward, it is nice to know the numbers to the front of the green. Other than that, it can clog the mind.

I see it as quite the opposite. Golfers have had caddies since what the 1600s? Caddies tell them yardages, lay of the land, club recommendations and many more things. It’s only natural that as AI technology progresses a virtual caddie will become a standard item for all golfers. What we have now is just the beginning. Callaway is even using AI to make clubs now. Not everyone can afford to play courses that provide caddies for players. All Pro golfers have caddies. Why shouldn’t everyone have one? If you wanna get better, having someone or something to help take the guesswork out of it allows you to focus on what is ultimately the most important thing in golf. Swinging the club and hitting the ball.

Maybe Arccos will perfect if or maybe they won’t. But somebody will. Our future kids or grandkids ect will laugh at anyone who doesn’t carry one the same way we chuckle at someone using a set of clubs from the 80s. Sure you can do it. But why?

I appreciate that more data is the thing these days and may help my game a bit. But…. I can’t get on board with a product that is that erratic, or requires any significant amount of interaction while I’m playing. I’m not going to want to worry about an app that isn’t functioning properly, during my round of golf. It’s a recreational and competitive time for me. It should not be my job to fiddle around and make their product work properly. It seems that too many companies out there are pushing out tech, before it’s ready, and then try to fix it on the fly. I’ll just stick to my GPS watch (when i remember to strap it on, which isn’t often).

this...you spend extra brain power wondering why the thing can pick up every shot for a few holes...then nothing for one...and you have to manually put it back in...then it'll pick up the driver and approach, then zero putts...then driver but no approach but both putts...or even add a putt. i just need to go back to my rangefinder and leave shot tracking and scorekeeping to the card...or even the grint...

Here’s my “con” about Arccos. It’s not really telling me something I don’t know. It tells me my driving is pretty good, my putting is very good, I don’t hit enough greens and my short game sux. I don’t need Arccos to tell me that.

I can get some pretty good stats and GPS from The Grint but can’t get club yardages easily.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What I don’t understand is that once I get on the green it all goes to hell. I’ve been sent new sensors and have done everything to try and get accurate putts picked up. But nothing worked. This was a non-issue for me 2 years ago.
I stopped using the putter sensor because I like to swap out my flat stick every once in awhile, so I just manually mark them as I’m lining up my putt.

I definitely appreciate having the stats for the few seconds it takes.

I didn’t see the point in it originally. Now that I’m in the 3 month trial phase I think I’ll at least give it a 1 yr subscription. I’ve enjoyed it so far and have little issues.

One day someone will develop an automatic stat tracking system that doesn't involve an abusive relationship.

Until then I'm out. Watching friend after friend fight with Arccos, Shot Scope etc etc I can't help but chuckle.

I honestly stopped using Arccos for this and the fact that when I had it the only option was to look at my phone the whole time. I hate looking at my phone on the golf course for a multitude of reasons but that's why I went with the ShotScope.

citing unreconcilable differences, I @Junkyard hereby seek divorce from a product that has extreme potential, but continues to produce lacklustre results time and again.

I just want to go back to playing golf again without having to worry if the app is detecting all of my shots, or at least enough of them that I don't have to estimate how I played a particular hole. For some reason, you don't seem to want to detect my wedges any more. You tell me the sensor is working, but then you don't detect a 100-yard shot. I mean, I took an inch thick divot the size of a dollar bill, so I'm pretty sure there would have been enough of an impact that you could have detected it.

And can you please explain to me how the Link can lose a satellite signal when I'm standing in the middle of a wide open golf course?

Since we haven't been in a relationship long enough for either of us to become bitter, I'm not going to seek any financial compensation from the judge. All I ask is that you move forward and better yourself for the benefit of others golfers.

Yup. It has never once been reliable enough for me to even give it a second chance. Better off just keeping your own stats somehow.

Watching friend after friend fight with Arccos, Shot Scope.....
I certainly don't have to "fight" with Shot Scope. Other than marking the pin location and occasionally referring to it for a distance I don't interact with it at all during the course of a round. How much value any of these shot trackers provide in really identifying something we don't already know about our games is questionable, anyway. The value I see in them is being able to compare clubs. For example, which driver that I have is the longest one or gives me tighter dispersion? Which putter do I make more putts with from what distances or do I 3-putt less frequently with? Also, I personally get pleasure editing my rounds, reviewing the round and having a record of any exceptional rounds I can always go back and look at because at my age being able to just "remember" them isn't going to happen! :LOL:

We are using it for The Morgan Cup and it has some really good info, but I am not sure it is information I didn't already know. I am probably one of the only people ever that started using Arccos and regularly has it recommend a club down from what I am thinking or that I overrule it and club up from time to time, but that is happening LOL! I don't like the constant editing to make it right. That is a bit annoying. I am not sure I will use it after The Morgan Cup. Jury is still out on that, but we shall see.

Simple solution is the Garmin S62

Simple solution is the Garmin S62
Let's see, $500 for the watch and another $300 for a full set of the sensors is a little pricey for me.

Let's see, $500 for the watch and another $300 for a full set of the sensors is a little pricey for me.
The watch can detect shots without sensors. Just have to tell it what club you hit after the shot. It works rather well.

The watch can detect shots without sensors. Just have to tell it what club you hit after the shot. It works rather well.
I prefer as little interaction with my shot tracking device as possible.

I prefer as little interaction with my shot tracking device as possible.
I mean, I am looking at and interacting with my watch to get yardage anyway, putting in the club (and often times the watch has already selected the correct club based on distance to the green), it really is minimal. Worth it to save on not having to use sensors.

citing unreconcilable differences, I @Junkyard hereby seek divorce from a product that has extreme potential, but continues to produce lacklustre results time and again.

I just want to go back to playing golf again without having to worry if the app is detecting all of my shots, or at least enough of them that I don't have to estimate how I played a particular hole. For some reason, you don't seem to want to detect my wedges any more. You tell me the sensor is working, but then you don't detect a 100-yard shot. I mean, I took an inch thick divot the size of a dollar bill, so I'm pretty sure there would have been enough of an impact that you could have detected it.

And can you please explain to me how the Link can lose a satellite signal when I'm standing in the middle of a wide open golf course?

Since we haven't been in a relationship long enough for either of us to become bitter, I'm not going to seek any financial compensation from the judge. All I ask is that you move forward and better yourself for the benefit of others golfers.

Preach.

This spoke to me..

“I just want to go back to playing golf again without having to worry if the app is detecting all of my shots”

Probably the number one reason I got a divorce from it. Started to feel like it was ruining the game and my enjoyment of a round.

Agree with all the comments, kicking myself for letting my subscription auto renew. Just put a note in my calendar for May 1, 2022 to cancel my subscription.

Preach.

This spoke to me..

“I just want to go back to playing golf again without having to worry if the app is detecting all of my shots”

Probably the number one reason I got a divorce from it. Started to feel like it was ruining the game and my enjoyment of a round.

100% agree with both people... except my experience was with Game Golf.
Free your mind and simply enjoy the golf experience.

I used Arccos for about 2 seasons but eventually got tired of sensors going bad and shots not being picked up. I will say that they were always great and extremely quick in getting replacement sensors to me, never had any issue with their customer service which I found excellent. Loved the concept and as others have said, when it functioned flawlessly I loved the data.

I'm a lot happier just using a Garmin watch now. Gives me everything the Arccos sensors did in-round. I don't get the club by club data/stats, but I'm not sure having that really helped my game significantly. I sort of know what my tendencies are. Waiting around for them to get the Link out was sort of the final straw for me and I gave up on them.

Preach.

This spoke to me..

Somewhat similar, I at some point turned off my ShotScope Tracking and just use it for the GPS.
It was ruining my round with me trying to chase distance instead of just having fun playing golf.
Took the pressure off my my game now I just try to go "North and South" and keep it in play.
If I make a 1 putt par great, If I get a Bogey, oh well, so be it......
It was a long and hard epiphany to come to.

Back