Death With Dignity

dhartmann34

Reaction score
Handicap
So I came upon this article today and also watched the video as well. It's a story that sadly I'm sure is not too uncommon. There's a lot of folks being diagnosed with and dying from terminal illnesses each year and many of them go through awful pain and suffering before losing their battles. This girl has chosen to end her pain and suffering on her own terms. It's incredibly sad and courageous all at the same time. I'm not sure if I'd ever be able to make the decision she has, but I think she's extraordinary for not only making that choice, but also for fighting so that many others are able to make the choice as well. She's fighting to help get more than 5 states to enact laws to let folks die with dignity.

What do you think you'd do in her situation? Could you decide enough was enough?

If you have a few minutes, give the article a read and video a watch.

http://www.people.com/article/Britt...ion-choices?xid=socialflow_facebook_peoplemag

Death With Dignity

Ironic you posted this as I read today that in holland where doctor assisted suicide is legal it is getting out of hand and they are now wondering if the restrictions are too vague and more and more people qualify to end their lives.

I don't think I could say for certain, because I'm not there, and I hope to never be there. And while I don't want to get preachy or overly religious in this thread, I do believe in such a thing as redemptive suffering, so I'd lean towards no. However, even if (for arguments sake) I would consider it ... if there was even a glimmer of hope, I'd fight like a bastard for my wife and child to keep their husband and father around.

It is legal in my home state of Oregon. I'm not aware that there are any problems with abuse, etc. In fact, I basically never hear any news about it one way or the other.

I am not qualified to tell somebody how to choose their end, that is up to each individual. If they so choose to go this route, then god's speed.

I saw this on FaceBook and asked my wife what would she think if I asked her to do the same thing. I guess it's one of the situations you never hope to be in but also don't know how you would react unless you were in the situation. I think it's great to see some states doing it. It is painful to watch a family member or close friend suffer through something so terrible until they have a horrible death. I'm not sure if you will see it in all 50 states but I sure would like to see it because I know I would do the same thing if I were her. I don't want to suffer and have to have my family watch me and remember me that way. Everyone thinks differently about it.

I've read there are some pretty crazy restrictions on it medically. I think In her situation I get it. I've seen people die from cancer. It's painful and awful for all involved. I just think it's interesting to think about how one would feel whether it's them or their immediate family.

I think ultimately everyone should have the choice. Though personally, I'd scrap for every additional day I could as long as it provided something for my kids and wife. I'd deal with the personal pain...but the moment the pain to my kids and wife are more than the joy I can provide them, it would be a long lonely boat ride out into the ocean with my trusty 12 gauge. No law would be able to dictate my ability to choose at the end of the day.

Sorry I have to go here but just one more step towards telling old people they are taking up too much space... Disagree with me all you want but they already go this route in some medical systems. Just wait and we'll be there too

Why are we regulating this. If someone wants to end their life so be it, let them make the choice and do safe in a safe and controlled manner.

Sorry I have to go here but just one more step towards telling old people they are taking up too much space... Disagree with me all you want but they already go this route in some medical systems. Just wait and we'll be there too
I don't believe the choice should be anybody else's but the individual. Not medical professionals or the government.

I am trying to imagine being in her shoes and I can't - so I will never judge. I have watched a relative die from leukemia and saw the amount of pain they were in. So in the end beyond whether I think it is right or wrong, I think everybody has a right to choose. I just believe and hope that personally I would fight like hell and exhaust every option. It looks like she did just that before making this decision.

I support the hell out of this woman and the movement to let people choose when they want to leave this world. Sure, they should consult their family and friends, but in the end, it is that person's decision, 100%.

Man God forbid I ever get there but I do respect her wishes and ultimately have no problem with it. I honestly feel as though if you're terminal and you have reached your threshold, you should be able to choose your way out wether medically induced or natural causes. Fight til you can no longer fight then go out on your terms.

Last edited:
As I'm from The Netherlands, I'm proud and happy I'm from a country that allows people to say: enough is enough.

I have relatives and friends that have been in the same situation as this brave woman. I've seen them suffer beyond belief. I've seen them lose every single bit of hope and joy in life, because of the pain, because of the frustration. I'm thankful they had the opportunity to have the dignity of choosing their own fate, before their conditions chooses it for them or doesn't allow them to choose. Don't think those people haven't fought to stay alive, don't think those people didn't try to beat the illness with everything they had. But if you can say the battle is lost, and if they want to leave the battlefield with their head held up high, good for them.

Ironic you posted this as I read today that in holland where doctor assisted suicide is legal it is getting out of hand and they are now wondering if the restrictions are too vague and more and more people qualify to end their lives.
Can you explain what is getting out of hand? Because I'm not aware of it, and I'm following the debate quite closely. There has been a lot of statements in the US regarding our laws on euthanasia and assisted suicide, mostly by people and media outlets who have a certain agenda, both in favor of and against it. Unfortunatly, not a lot of those are actually true.

There is a small problem with people not following the rules (so-called Angels of Death, people "helping" other people end their lives outside of the official channels). Those people have to face trial, as there is no reason not to follow the rules.

Other than that there's a discussion on which conditions qualify for euthanasia and assisted suicide, which, in my opinion, is a good thing. An open discussion never hurts a cause, only makes it stronger.

Just went through this with my grandmother for two weeks and it was the most painful thing I have ever had to watch.

I haven't looked at the link yet, but Mom always said she hoped there was a Dr. Kevorkian around if she got to that point. My general feelings on suicide are probably not the popular one for a lot of people, but if we can euthanize our sick pets, why not humans? I think if you are at the point where quality of life is an issue, you should be allowed to do what we allow for our pets, who I like more than most people!

Last edited:
JB and I have talked about this before, and I am glad we are on the same page. I fully support a person with a terminal illness in pain to decide when enough is enough. I have seen family members deteriorate to nothing more than a shell of who they were. They were nothing more than a body is constant pain, and I truly believe no one should have to suffer like that if they have the choice.

JB and I have talked about this before, and I am glad we are on the same page. I fully support a person with a terminal illness in pain to decide when enough is enough. I have seen family members deteriorate to nothing more than a shell of who they were. They were nothing more than a body is constant pain, and I truly believe no one should have to suffer like that if they have the choice.
You can't leave me with the rest of the family.

I saw my Father die of Alzheimer disease and I know he would have not have wanted to die slowly like he did. Horrible disease and I agree 100 percent about allowing a person to die without going through what he did. I certainly would want to go out on my own terms.

I saw my Father die of Alzheimer disease and I know he would have not have wanted to die slowly like he did. Horrible disease and I agree 100 percent about allowing a person to die without going through what he did. I certainly would want to go out on my own terms.

I am seeing my grandfather go through this now and it's the most heartbreaking thing I have ever seen. As far as I am concerned the man in my grandfather's body is not my grandfather anymore. It's so sad, and seeing his wife still believe one day he will be his old self again is the devastating.

I am seeing my grandfather go through this now and it's the most heartbreaking thing I have ever seen. As far as I am concerned the man in my grandfather's body is not my grandfather anymore. It's so sad, and seeing his wife still believe one day he will be his old self again is the devastating.

Exactly. My Father was a strong man and to see him go down like that was so heart breaking. Very cruel disease.

I hope you don't mind me for asking, but do "older" people in the US have this discussion, or is this something that isn't really talked about due to the legal status of euthanasia and/or religion and/or a taboo?

I was also wondering if people were able to end their own life before the disease progressed to the point of total deterioration... Would studying their bodies help find cures quicker?

Back