Looking forward to hearing more from you on this @Jman. I got the app and started the free version of this awhile ago. I need to get back on it!

I signed up last year and admittedly wasted my money by not putting in the effort. I renewed my subscription this weekend after getting smoked by a DECADE user the day prior. Not so much because he was a DECADE player, but because I recognized my decision-making was AWFUL that round which compounded all my bad swings during the round.

My plan is to go through the videos and some of the protocols through the remainder of the season, but I probably won't continue the subscription beyond then. The data entry is miserable in DECADE. I will default to Golf Metrics after I've finished. While extremely rudimentary and basic, it accomplishes a lot of the same tasks with less effort for stat tracking.

Played with the initial concepts for 27 of my 36 holes yesterday, and I have thoughts, but…rainy day and doc on call today means I’m diving into all the intro videos so I can start tracking next week. So I’ll hold too many thoughts until then.

I signed up last year and admittedly wasted my money by not putting in the effort. I renewed my subscription this weekend after getting smoked by a DECADE user the day prior. Not so much because he was a DECADE player, but because I recognized my decision-making was AWFUL that round which compounded all my bad swings during the round.

My plan is to go through the videos and some of the protocols through the remainder of the season, but I probably won't continue the subscription beyond then. The data entry is miserable in DECADE. I will default to Golf Metrics after I've finished. While extremely rudimentary and basic, it accomplishes a lot of the same tasks with less effort for stat tracking.
I kinda like the efforts of tracking, it makes you pay attention to what you’re doing or have done out there with depth. It’s something that blows my mind about a lot of golfers, that they don’t recall or go over their rounds in detail, that’s how you learn to manage a course and your game imo.

I kinda like the efforts of tracking, it makes you pay attention to what you’re doing or have done out there with depth. It’s something that blows my mind about a lot of golfers, that they don’t recall or go over their rounds in detail, that’s how you learn to manage a course and your game imo.

It is both a blessing and a curse how many shots that I can recall from the last few rounds I've played.

I'm speaking out of ignorance because I haven't tried it, but what has struck me is that it seems very time consuming and costly. Moreover, I think it's made for and targeted at a certain level of skill. That said, if you have the skill and the time, I definitely think there's a lot of good stuff in there.

I'm not sure spending the time keeping all the stats would be that useful for an average golfer. Sure, it may tell him where he should aim, but if he's going to pull or push it 40 yards left or right of that supposed scatter pattern, or chunk it or thin it over the green a significant portion of the time, were the cost and effort really worth it? In my mind it's targeted more towards the really good player who realizes he can get an advantage by taking the 60% chance of hitting it past the bunkers to the wider spot rather than hitting the 100% chance of hitting 4-iron to lay short of the bunker. An average player can't be sure he'll get past the bunkers at all, not be in the bunkers, or not be in the wrong fairway completely. It sure would be interesting to hear from like a 16-handicap that's done it.
I think time consuming and costly are relative terms which will mean different things to different people. There is nothing wrong with going out to have a good time on the golf course without a care about your score. People with that goal for golf probably aren't going to put a high value on spending extra on things to help you improve. However, for the person that has the goal of shaving several strokes off your score, I am confident that Decade can help do that and do it for a very competitive price. I could have spent triple the amount I did on Decade for pounding range balls without seeing much of an improvement on the course. What is one golf lesson going to cost you? Not much less than Decade (if you are going to your local muni for lessons). Go to a clinic of any bigger named coaches and you will be dropping a fair bit more than the elite program.
I would also disagree with your assessment that it is only for the better golfers. He gets these questions all the time and gives many examples of why the same strategies hold for a higher handicap. Can Decade alone take you from a 20 hdcp to a 5? Not a chance. That will also require some work on improving a golf swing. It did help me to go from a 7 to a 2.4 with literally zero extra practice. It helped me focus on things that matter before a round. I did do some pre-round prep at night the day before, but that takes far less time than driving back and forth from the range and working through a bucket of balls. And that work carries over to the next time I play that course while a bucket of balls today will make no difference to my game two months from now.
Costly? I'm not sure how someone could shave multiple strokes off their score in less time for cheaper.
Time consuming? Again, if you are looking to improve, how can you do that without spending time? This program can help you spend what little time we have for practice on the right things.

I'm not affiliated with Decade in any way. Just a user who has seen vast improvements after diving into the program.

I would imagine the amount of value this program has depends on how well or poorly individuals make logical decisions. As a high capper, strategy is the easiest part of this game in part because every other aspect of the game is so difficult.

As I've said many times, I'd love to be wrong about this and discover there was an easy way to shave even a few strokes off every round just by pulling a different club or choosing a different target. I play the same course just about every week and try a lot of alternative options. They all lead to similar results. But I suppose if there are several ways to be good at this game, there are several ways to be bad. Maybe there are decent ball strikers out there who score poorly through poor decisions???

Back