DeChambeau and Cobra

what was the reason he stopped playing the Cobra LTD driver? He seemed to like that one, is it because its 5 years old and Cobra is asking he play the newest version?
From talking to the R&D guys during the MC cup it doesn't sound like they have much/any say at what goes into the bags. They develop a ton of custom stuff for those guys/girls but don't force anything into the bag. They said its isn't unusual for a player to keep a club an year or two old if they really like it or while they are still testing the latest products. Sometimes things like sight lines or other stuffy just doesn't click with them right way so they play an older club.

What's interesting to me is that Cobra came in very hot with their responses to Bryson. And good on them for doing that, but it wasn't just boilerplate corporate PR speak while the real conversation happened behind closed doors. They legitimately seem upset with him.

In the end, I'd say there's an 70% chance this smooths over. It's business and both parties are there to make money. Bryson is the most gear-focused pro out there, which brings a unique opportunity for a gear sponsor. He loves being backed up with Cobra's custom club lab, and Cobra loves showing off their new mad-scientist gear launching bombs on tour. And of course, if Bryson turns it around and starts winning then that will cure all ills.

But right now there's a lot of strain in the relationship, and if Bryson keeps missing cuts and keeps popping off, that strain is going to grow. I'd say there's a 30% chance this sponsorship breaks down by Christmas.

What's interesting to me is that Cobra came in very hot with their responses to Bryson. And good on them for doing that, but it wasn't just boilerplate corporate PR speak while the real conversation happened behind closed doors. They legitimately seem upset with him.

In the end, I'd say there's an 70% chance this smooths over. It's business and both parties are there to make money. Bryson is the most gear-focused pro out there, which brings a unique opportunity for a gear sponsor. He loves being backed up with Cobra's custom club lab, and Cobra loves showing off their new mad-scientist gear launching bombs on tour. And of course, if Bryson turns it around and starts winning then that will cure all ills.

But right now there's a lot of strain in the relationship, and if Bryson keeps missing cuts and keeps popping off, that strain is going to grow. I'd say there's a 30% chance this sponsorship breaks down by Christmas.
How could they not be?? I mean especially for a smaller organization. They put countless refinement hours into that equipment only to have their flagship guy burn their efforts to the ground and shun the responsibility. It was definitely an awkward position.

Tbh if anything I think Cobra came out well from this.
Everyone is talking about Cobra agreeing that they make great product.

Sent from my VOG-L09 using Tapatalk

It will be interesting to see if/how the dynamic changes between Bryson and Cobra. That was a tumultuous couple weeks for him with his caddy quitting and then the driver comments. He may not have completely burned bridges, but he sure drove a big truck into them at speed and damaged them.

Yes, saying the product he is endorsing "sucks" is probably not the ringing endorsement Cobra was looking for.

Bryson is a bright individual. It's my belief that his 'sucks' comment was emotionally driven (obviously) because of youth and immaturity; I'm old so I can say that. I'm guessing he apologized to Cobra prior to apologizing to through the media. I'm also guessing he's realized the driver head was not the cause of his poor driving, going back to him being a bright individual.

I don't foresee him and Cobra parting ways anytime soon.

I don't go along with the "youth and immaturity". He will be 28 in September. You don't see Collin Morikawa behaving that way, and he is younger than DeChambeau.

Bryson got Cobra press time. Good press is good...bad press is still good. Apathy no coverage is bad......My thought is Bryson forms his own brand before Cobra releases him. His position is unique and I'm sure someone would love to back him.....so it's not about Cobra letting him go....it's about how long till Bryson breaks off and does his own thing....

Can we get a source or confirmation of one length accounting for 40% of their iron sales? That either doesn't seem accurate, or they're not selling many irons.

Right now, in the game of professional golf Bryson moves the needle. Whether it's social media Bryson vs. Brooks, or Bryson claiming that a course will play like a "par 67" for him - he is a barometer. Granted, most weeks he isn't in contention, but there is always hype/discussion around him.

Last time I checked, hype/discussion/popularity sells product. Rickie's time has come and gone IMO. To me, Bryson is like the Don Cherry of golf. Like him or not, you have to respect him for what he has done. Cherry has forgotten more about hockey than most ever knew, and BAD has studied the performance of equipment more than probably anyone in the history of the game.

What stands to be seen is longevity; will his golf career be looked back upon as one of the greats or will he be looked upon as just another PGA professional 20 years from now?

Can we get a source or confirmation of one length accounting for 40% of their iron sales? That either doesn't seem accurate, or they're not selling many irons.
This has been mentioned in many product launch articles and discussed at every Morgan Cup, it's consistently been around that number over time. That's not exactly the confirmation you are looking for, but that number has been bounced around quite a lot.

This has been mentioned in many product launch articles and discussed at every Morgan Cup, it's consistently been around that number over time. That's not exactly the confirmation you are looking for, but that number has been bounced around quite a lot.
Well that really answers some other questions then. Thanks.(y)

They are currently 4th in iron sales, which is quite a bit.

Yeah, that’s actually quite the number.

As much as I have had it with petulant rich coddled child athletes, what is it they say?

We've heard the old saying, “'There's no such thing as bad publicity,” a quote made famous by P.T. Barnum.

So, yea, I think that Cobra came out of it perfectly fine, the player, a bit less. I was sick of both him and Brooks, and I still am. They are the embodiment of the crap TV that my wife and daughter's watch that I suffer through while surfing THP - the housewives of every city in America, and the boinking below deck boaters of sailing land.

what was the reason he stopped playing the Cobra LTD driver? He seemed to like that one, is it because its 5 years old and Cobra is asking he play the newest version?
Personally, I think there’s a good chance that this is exactly what all this is about... they wanted him in the RadSpeed using a 5 year old driver is bad for business, but they’ve not made it work for him yet and he’s throwing his toys out of the pram...

Personally, I think there’s a good chance that this is exactly what all this is about... they wanted him in the RadSpeed using a 5 year old driver is bad for business, but they’ve not made it work for him yet and he’s throwing his toys out of the pram...
If he said he wasn’t moving from the LTD, they’d have been fine with it. Just like Lexi using super old (by gear standards) irons.

Is Cobra still #1 over in Asia?? @LittleRat said they were in 2018 at the MC and I wonder if that still holds?

I am guessing BDC will remain a fixture for Cobra right now he's all they got since Ricky hasn't won in FOREVER!

Is Cobra still #1 over in Asia?? @LittleRat said they were in 2018 at the MC and I wonder if that still holds?

I am guessing BDC will remain a fixture for Cobra right now he's all they got since Ricky hasn't won in FOREVER!

I believe you might have misunderstood. They have not been #1 in Asia. Still a top brand, but not #1.

I disagree. While I am not a Bryson fan I think he is a massive part of cobras success. He is to Cobra what Tiger was to Nike. I also think what he said was just a slip in judgement. He probably made a sudden tweak to something with his driver that just did not work well for him and that’s probably what he was referring to. Dropping DeChambeau would be a huge mistake for Cobra

For the diehard golfer - they know everything about every PGA player. For the occasional, recreational golfer they probably only know a hand full of Pro players. Tiger, everyone knows, Bryson and a few others. - is who these folks know. A month from now ask the rec player who won the Open and I imagine you wouldn't get a lot of accurate responses.

Bryson - good comments or bad - is an attention getter. Honestly, who knows why Bryson blew his gasket - it could have been that Cobra was slow making his changes/frustrated from hitting last year's model (where he had success), just frustrated and took it out on his clubs. who knows.

But this one thing I can almost guarantee. Cobra will work their asses off to make Bryson happy with his driver, and when Bryson next wins, he will thank Cobra and the awesome Driver that they made for him - and Cobra driver sales will spike.

Quick test - what Driver did Morikawa use? Its doubtful that the rec players are running out to pick up his driver this week since they probably don't know what it is. (No need to look it up, its a TaylorMade Sim) :LOL:

For the diehard golfer - they know everything about every PGA player. For the occasional, recreational golfer they probably only know a hand full of Pro players. Tiger, everyone knows, Bryson and a few others. - is who these folks know. A month from now ask the rec player who won the Open and I imagine you wouldn't get a lot of accurate responses.

Bryson - good comments or bad - is an attention getter. Honestly, who knows why Bryson blew his gasket - it could have been that Cobra was slow making his changes/frustrated from hitting last year's model (where he had success), just frustrated and took it out on his clubs. who knows.

But this one thing I can almost guarantee. Cobra will work their asses off to make Bryson happy with his driver, and when Bryson next wins, he will thank Cobra and the awesome Driver that they made for him - and Cobra driver sales will spike.

Quick test - what Driver did Morikawa use? Its doubtful that the rec players are running out to pick up his driver this week since they probably don't know what it is. (No need to look it up, its a TaylorMade Sim) :LOL:
Not sure how they could work any harder or bend over backwards any more than they already have.

who knows why Bryson blew his gasket - it could have been that Cobra was slow making his changes/frustrated from hitting last year's model (where he had success), just frustrated and took it out on his clubs. who knows.

But this one thing I can almost guarantee. Cobra will work their asses off to make Bryson happy with his driver

From speaking with @Master Yagley and @LittleRat at the Morgan Cup last October, they bust ass designing and making his prototypes, and work as fast as the design and manufacturing process allows. If that isn't fast enough, that's a Brysie problem not a Cobra one. Brian Schomin was explicit in that regard.

I asked Yags specifically about this in a team chat a day or two after Bryson won the US Open:

Q: What is the general process and time frame for making Bryson’s driver? Let’s say he comes in this week and wants a 4° driver. How long does it take from start to finish?

A: That is a . . . very likely scenario! Assuming it’s a “simple” loft only change...
CAD work - couple of days
New tool - 3 weeks (assuming they are not slammed)
First parts - 2 weeks
Tweaks - 2 weeks
Sooo... could be 2+ months before we see “final” parts
#painful

Last edited:
I have no doubt Cobra working hard. I know from experience that sometimes you have clients that want things yesterday - and if you tell them anything else, they b*tch at you.

Rickie is more personable and photogenic, but he's not winning anything right now to help drive club sales. He's really not even competitive at this point - almost the only TV time he gets is during his commercials, because he's not usually in the running on weekends. Bryson is their showpiece for one length clubs, armlock putters and even the driver (last week notwithstanding), and gets a lot more air time during tournaments.

I'll never understand people buying clubs based on what PGA Tour players are playing, but apparently it is actually a thing so I don't see Cobra dumping Bryson.
I agree with your statement about not understanding people buying clubs based on what tour players are playing. In fact I can give an example of the exact opposite. I never even considered looking at the Callaway PM Grind until I read your posts about it. I have struggled for years out of bunkers particularly because around here we don't have that nice fluffy sand you find in other areas. My initial thought was Phil Mickelson is one of the best wedge/bunker players in the World so that's probably not the wedge for me. Read your review, gave it a shot and as I've posted many times before I absolutely love that Club. I didn't get it because Phil Mickelson played it I got it based on your review and relating to what you posted. I think as a whole that is true of THP in general reading about what a variety of golfers with a variety of handicaps think about what is available on the market. That means more to me than what a Tour Pro is playing although I am always interested in seeing what they are playing.

Back