DeChambeau and Cobra

I agree with your statement about not understanding people buying clubs based on what tour players are playing. In fact I can give an example of the exact opposite. I never even considered looking at the Callaway PM Grind until I read your posts about it. I have struggled for years out of bunkers particularly because around here we don't have that nice fluffy sand you find in other areas. My initial thought was Phil Mickelson is one of the best wedge/bunker players in the World so that's probably not the wedge for me. Read your review, gave it a shot and as I've posted many times before I absolutely love that Club. I didn't get it because Phil Mickelson played it I got it based on your review and relating to what you posted. I think as a whole that is true of THP in general reading about what a variety of golfers with a variety of handicaps think about what is available on the market. That means more to me than what a Tour Pro is playing although I am always interested in seeing what they are playing.
And the same here - I didn't buy the PM Grind because Phil plays it. I don't have Phil's short game talent, not even on the same planet. I read the reviews/discussions here on THP and pondered the decision for weeks before I finally decided to take the plunge and give it a try. Luckily, it turned out to be one of the best decisions I've ever made for my bag.

I base my equipment decisions on what other amateur/recreational golfers have to say, and as you said it's nice to have input from a variety of golfers/handicaps. Even a low single digit or scratch/+ golfer is playing a way different game than I am, and what works for them might not work for me at all. It's fun to read WITBs for the pros and geek out over what they're playing, but not once has it ever influenced one of my buying decisions.

It's fun to look at Bryson's equipment and marvel at it, but the disaster that would ensue if I tried hitting his irons, or a 5° driver with a rebar shaft would be absolutely hilarious.

This has been mentioned in many product launch articles and discussed at every Morgan Cup, it's consistently been around that number over time. That's not exactly the confirmation you are looking for, but that number has been bounced around quite a lot.
Correct. I was told in 2020 by Cobra that approx. 35% of their iron sales was One Length.

Sounds like he’s got Cobra’ed 19. No Olympics for him.....

Back