Defend Torrey on Tour

Canadan

LGND
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Handicap
I have been following along (and have been slightly vocal) on the discussion going around talking about how bland Torrey is.

What is it about this course that puts it into a 'viable for US Open Rota' condition? It's long (whatever), straight, unremarkable lines certainly make it a bit interesting when they bake the hell out of the fairways and greens and grow the rough, but you could do that at hundreds of courses to make it "challenging"

Defend it, or talk smack.

It is not showing well on TV. That’s for sure. I’m sure it’s a great muni, but for the price and convenience I’ll stick to the grand golf club out there.

It is not showing well on TV. That’s for sure. I’m sure it’s a great muni, but for the price and convenience I’ll stick to the grand golf club out there.
When the price of a round is around 300 bucks, I think the term "muni" is muddied.

I saw an interview today where the guy said the course was playing just like it should. That good shots were rewarded, and bad shots were not. That makes for a good USO on any course for the pros..

The greens are playing tough from what I could see today. Lots of tricky reads it seemed like. Another good reason for a USO on this course..

Finally, after three rounds, the leader is still at single digits under par. One of the better reasons for it to have a USO.

Watched maybe an hour in between rounds today. Frankly, it seemed a little boring. I offer no defense….

There are some nice vistas and some wind off the ocean. It isn't as long as Pebble but I much prefer the tv visuals at Pebble. I suppose Cypress is too short for the US Open? I agree with the above comments that it is long and relatively straight. The OB on some holes makes it more interesting but it lacks some of the intriguing carries over hazards. I think Kiawah would make a more interesting US Open venue. And honestly I do not think fairways skinnier then a magazine model and knee high rough make a "good" US Open. How about one at Harbour Town? Or even better, let's have a US Open in which Bryson and Brooks battle it out at 25 under! Alternate types of courses and course setups each year I say. At least Pinehurst doesn't have much if any rough at all to grow out

Having played Torrey a couple times in the past, I’d say that other than the picturesque California coast the course is pretty ‘bland’ to say the least. IMO it continues to be in rotation merely because of history…

It's along the Pacific. If it was in Iowa it would be just another course.

As a local I’m biased but I love Torrey as a tour course. Besides being beautiful it’s really difficult and puts an emphasis on approach. I’m a big fan of links style golf so it doesn’t bother me that it doesn’t have a bunch of water or unique hazards. I love how challenging the greens are and how much trouble you can get in if you miss the green. I personally get bored with tour events when guys are just tearing the course apart so the challenge of Torrey is big for me.

I haven’t played many other tour level courses so I may not be the best judge. I did play at a private course for the first time last weekend which is a regular tour stop and didn’t think it was nearly as good of a course as Torrey.

Torrey is a great muni course. But. There is really not a whole lot to it though.

Every hole kinda looks the same. Two bunkers about half way down the fairway, one on each side and smallish greens.

If not for the coast line it would never be considered for anything.

Reactions: JB
The course aside. This has been a great us open.

Torrey is a great muni course. But. There is really not a whole lot to it though.

Every hole kinda looks the same. Two bunkers about half way down the fairway, one on each side and smallish greens.

If not for the coast line it would never be considered for anything.

so basic and simple yet some of the best players in the world can't seem to hit a fairway or land darts on the green on such a basic layout? Cut was +4. If it was that you'd like the cut would be lower right?

so basic and simple yet some of the best players in the world can't seem to hit a fairway or land darts on the green on such a basic layout? Cut was +4. If it was that you'd like the cut would be lower right?

With tight enough fairways even the best are going to miss them. With long rough they will miss greens too.

Also even a basic layout requires you to hit shots and make putts and can still make for tough scoring. It is just not as interesting of a course.

Compare Torrey to whistling straits for the PGA.. night and day in The course design.

With tight enough fairways even the best are going to miss them. With long rough they will miss greens too.

Also even a basic layout requires you to hit shots and make putts and can still make for tough scoring. It is just not as interesting of a course.

Compare Torrey to whistling straits for the PGA.. night and day in The course design.

Stand in the middle of the fairway on 1 or 5 and have a mid iron in with the wind up and the green rolling little faster than 10 and see if you’re not interested.

it was posted on social that a par 4 was playing longer than the finishing hole par 5 but what’s not said is the par 4 is down wind dog leg that pros having been eating up while the par 5 requires a forced carry over water or to a lay up area that Bland proved is verytough to play from if you’re not in the fairway.

It's along the Pacific. If it was in Iowa it would be just another course.

if it was in Iowa, the greens wouldnt be tough because the pull towards the ocean wouldnt fool golfers into taking lines they visually can’t trust nor would the wind affect long Par 4s or make a short par 3 near a canyon make such a easy PW or 9i that difficult to hit.

Stand in the middle of the fairway on 1 or 5 and have a mid iron in with the wind up and the green rolling little faster than 10 and see if you’re not interested.

it was posted on social that a par 4 was playing longer than the finishing hole par 5 but what’s not said is the par 4 is down wind dog leg that pros having been eating up while the par 5 requires a forced carry over water or to a lay up area that Bland proved is verytough to play from if you’re not in the fairway.

Hard or difficult does not necessarily mean it’s interesting. The course is playing hard. That does not mean the design of the course is interesting. It is just set up to play difficult.

I was pretty bummed when I heard that the US Open isn't even playing a full half shot harder than the farmers insurance open did. That to me is a shame and really detracts from the Open.

These courses need to pick a lane. If you want to be on the US Open rota, you shouldn't host the Slaptickle invitational every year.

lam of the understanding that courses on the pga tour are tricked up.. and that they are prepared to standard and under advise from pga .. that being the case , not one of us can pass opinion on how hard a course may or may not be, during tournament conditions unless we have played it under same weather and conditioning ( highly unlikely).

Now if we are talking aesthetics that’s a differing viewpoint, what is preferred suite of ‘ what makes a great course ‘ is fundamentally individualistic in choice .

l have a preference of links golf , don’t get to play it often but it’s purest form of the origins of the game.

lnstead of throwing criticism out , of a course , accept its being played by a representative group of pros who compost the top end of golf on the planet , and who based upon scoring , find the course as its setup , not particularly conducive to lower than maybe the norm , scores.

ls not the aim of the game a competition? We have one ....

And as a overseas golfer, who does not and can’t compare the range of other golf clubs offered as alternatives , in continental USA, the golf is very enjoyable , visually . ln my view there is a lot of sameness in some of courses that are played in pga in general terms of presentation ( Big trees , water and old establishment style , club house and manicured within inch of its life course ,, for smash it long and then hit it high golf ,, and repeat .

When the price of a round is around 300 bucks, I think the term "muni" is muddied.
Surely the only definition of municipal is it’s not private? Pebble Beach is considerably more expensive and is accepted as a muni...

Surely the only definition of municipal is it’s not private? Pebble Beach is considerably more expensive and is accepted as a muni...
The argument is a $300+ round of golf is no longer accessible to the "public"

And yeah, torrey is kinda blah outside the views.

The argument is a $300+ round of golf is no longer accessible to the "public"

And yeah, torrey is kinda blah outside the views.
Well, one has a choice of where to play. $500 drivers aren’t really accessible to the public but there’s a choice there too. I don’t see why the status of a course has to be analysed to the nth degree (like everything on here). If it’s members only it’s private if anyone can play it if they want to it’s municipal 🤷🏻‍♂️.

I have been following along (and have been slightly vocal) on the discussion going around talking about how bland Torrey is.

What is it about this course that puts it into a 'viable for US Open Rota' condition? It's long (whatever), straight, unremarkable lines certainly make it a bit interesting when they bake the hell out of the fairways and greens and grow the rough, but you could do that at hundreds of courses to make it "challenging"

Defend it, or talk smack.
The relatively poor quality greens make it challenging too. But when 80,000 rounds a year are played there it’s not going to be great is it...

I would argue that the definition is if the course if owned/operated by the local city. I would never consider Pebble to be a municipal course. Public, but not municipal.

Huh?
I think you are confusing public and municipal

Back