Defend Torrey on Tour

Huh?
I think you are confusing public and municipal
Yeah, I think it’s a transatlantic terminology difference between UK and US 😊.

It produces good tournaments golf, but it is awfully hard to tell where they are at because it all looks the same. "Hey look, they're on that long strait par 4 with bunkers around the green." That is until they get to the stupid pond on 18 that is so out of place on the California coastline. Why they decided they needed to put water there instead of a bunker I really don't know. To be fair to the course though, it doesn't appear to be a great place to set up camera folks with all those cliffs everywhere. Basically all the functional land along the coastal part is taken up by golf hole. The fairways and greens are right on the edge of all those cliffs.

Last edited:
Having played Torrey a couple times in the past, I’d say that other than the picturesque California coast the course is pretty ‘bland’ to say the least. IMO it continues to be in rotation merely because of history…
Tiger's putt in 2008 cemented Torrey Pines South's US Open future.

6c7c2291327b5defe5ac5485ff3640f8.jpg

I don’t consider the Open (British) venues to be pleasing to the eye either but I enjoy watching the pros being challenged creatively and that’s what this particular setup achieves.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Torrey is nearby…..20 minutes. I ve played it. I wasn’t wowed by anything except the price and the rudeness of the grounds crew, pro shop crew was great! I think the draw for many is that a tournament is held there and it’s built along the bluffs overlooking the pacific. Neither is a draw for me but I get that other landlocked folks would find it a great experience. There’s a lot more interesting courses, for me, in my area i can play for 40-70 bucks
It is a pretty good course for tv

I’ve never played Torrey thanks to it’s ridiculous non resident rates. I can’t justify paying hundreds of dollars more to play it when a guy in the same foursome can play it for $50 because he lives there. On top of it the locals say it’s not worth it for the price we have to pay so there’s that.

on tv is it bland? Kind of but no worse to me than Chambers Bay was a few years back. It’s playing hard and it’s a test of the best players in the game so I’m ok with it but do I want it in the rotation? Eh I could do without it from the visual standpoint but it if gives me a leaderboard like this on Sunday I think I’m ok with it.

I like it as a regular tour stop, in my opinion is not a US Open course.

I am enjoying this US Open and appreciate the course. It adds a course type diversity to the list, and the scenic landscapes along the coast are stunning. Hitting the fairway is a must, and they can't just pin hunt to these greens even when in the fairway. The greens are not simple to read and add an element of roll wobble reality that most of us see in the courses we play. I also appreciate the length of many of the par 4s. Players have to hit longer irons for approaches. It is a good test for a US Open. And the main argument for Torrey Pines South is that they are playing there today. That's what matters. :cool:

I paid to play Torrey. It was fun but not worth the cost even for a second. I would say when I played it that it had a typical "muni feel", other than the cost. It doesn't have that private course aura when you're on property.

Huh?
I think you are confusing public and municipal
Made me look it up as I didn't know the difference either. Thanks for the prodding.

Municipal courses are owned and/or managed by the city, town or county.

Public courses are owned by individuals, real estate development companies, partnerships or corporations.

It’s a big ole “eh” from me. Gorgeous views, boring course.

I take the surrounding views for granted because I grew up in San Diego and spent many summers at Torrey Pines State Beach (it was my family's favorite beach), watching the hang gliders (now all paragliders, apparently), and hiking the trails from the cliffs down (Google "Fat Man's Misery", lol!). Never played the course because I didn't get into golf until years later, when I lived up in north county and wasn't going to pay the non-resident rates to golf there.

Other than the course's history as a Tour stop/major venue, I don't see anything spectacular about the course itself. For me, it's just one on a long list of courses I'd play if I was in the area and got a killer deal on it, but nothing I'd go out of my way and pay exorbitant rates for.

I really enjoyed my round at torrey last month. But during the round especially away from the ocean, you kind of forget the significance other than the impeccable bunker condition and different cuts all things that would be available at PGA courses. The canyon and coast are cool to see and the views of course from chopper. The actual course difficulty hmmm.... Given the opportunity to play it again. Sure... Dying to get back there... Maybe not.

I can fu
Made me look it up as I didn't know the difference either. Thanks for the prodding.

Municipal courses are owned and/or managed by the city, town or county.

Public courses are owned by individuals, real estate development companies, partnerships or corporations.
Too further add to the confusion , we have private courses which by definition of your public course ,,but also can gain limited access by knowing a member or reciprocal right arrangement .

Municipal course term , I’ve never that term applied in or on any golf course here.

Public course allows any and everyone on and would have far more relaxed approach here , maybe council run or other authority?

l do get different applications / definition of names can cause incidental confusion and not be helpful .

Torrey does not really blow me away. Its a picturesque location, and a lot of history. But as for the actual course there are others I would go out of my way to play first, and others that I think would make better US Open venues.

Just me, I'd love to see some new venues added because there are so many cool courses out there.

Harding Park > Torrey. It's not what you asked for but it's my truth.

i didn’t want to play torrey either time i went to san diego. don’t regret it one bit. just not a course that appeals to me.

"Baked fairways and greens plus long rough" is the USGA equivalent of "the weather and links" for the R&A.

i didn’t want to play torrey either time i went to san diego. don’t regret it one bit. just not a course that appeals to me.

i'll just play on base at miramar and say "i played in san diego..."

I certainly saw a lot of missed putts all weekend. So the greens must be tougher than they looked.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The weather sucks at both of them. 😆
I cannot dispute this

This is my main issue - June is the worst time for Torrey. They don't call it "June gloom" for nothing. Switch to October with a Santa Ana howling (then swinging around to on-shore) and things will get not only more picturesque, but more interesting on the course.

I have a soft spot for the place though - 3rd generation San Diegan and my dad played Torrey regularly in the 50's and 60's as a scratch player. Me, not so much :D

I know its not the most fun course on TV with lots of straight holes and bunker on the landing points. Can you argue with the results though of 2021 and 2008?

Back